Sign in to follow this  
Haito

TrackIR

I can honestly see the point of TrackIR etc. in a very realistic MilSim like DCS A10 where you have to be all over the sky and hands on in a combat situation...but could someone please explain why anyone would actually need it with say NGX when EZDok can be set up to provide everything you need from a few programmable buttons? Andrew Vincent

I use it so I don't have to use 2d panels and I find using the hat switch or mouse too clumsy and slow to look around with. But ya, it is less helpful in a airline sim than a combat sim.It also makes flying in the pattern much easier too.

most of the time my trackir is paused while flying on an airliner ... its nice to have but I wouldnt die without it ... but its nice to have it to enjoy the scenery :)with a-10c I would literally die if I wont have one :)

P.L. Tran

AMD Ryzen 5800x; 32 GB Ram; EVGA GeForce RTX 3090 FTW3; Win10 64 Bit

I can honestly see the point of TrackIR etc. in a very realistic MilSim like DCS A10 where you have to be all over the sky and hands on in a combat situation...but could someone please explain why anyone would actually need it with say NGX when EZDok can be set up to provide everything you need from a few programmable buttons? Andrew Vincent
Immersion. Just look around freely and operate buttons/switches with the mouse. Look out of the window when turning final on a visual approach.And it is not less helpful in an airline sim. Head Tracking all the way!

Dave P. Woycek

Immersion
Ditto! Also when going through the checklists it's incredible handy to have!

Krister Lindén
EFMA, Finland
------------------

Immersion. Just look around freely and operate buttons/switches with the mouse. Look out of the window when turning final on a visual approach.And it is not less helpful in an airline sim. Head Tracking all the way!
And i find it to be much easier and realistic when taxiing, especially on that lat turn to the gate.

Rick Hobbs

Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg

can't live without it :)

Jude Bradley
Beech Baron: Uh, Tower, verify you want me to taxi in front of the 747?
ATC: Yeah, it's OK. He's not hungry.

X-Plane 11 X-Plane 12 and MSFS2020  🙂

System specs: Windows 11  Pro 64-bit, Ubuntu Linux 20.04 i9-9900KF  Gigabyte Z390 RTX-3070-Ti , 32GB RAM  1X 2TB M2 for X-Plane 12,  1x256GB SSD for OS. 1TB drive MSFS2020

For setup, my TrackIR is paused, simply because it's difficult to hit all the required switches without changing viewpoint. For actually flying below 10,000, the TrackIR is absolutely wonderful, and adds hugely to the immersion.

Joe Sherrill

Exactly. Just ask yourself this and then you have your answer: when you sit in a real plane, do you push a button to snap to the panel that you want to look at or do you just naturally turn your head to look at it? Not to mention VFR flights in general aviation aircraft (many of us aren't glued to tube liners), where you have to constanly look out the windows. I don't want to fly without TrackIR anymore. Ever. That would feel like being paralyzed.

Try flying the LLZ DME East approach with a circle to land at Innsbruck without TrackIR. While you're clumsily panning to the right to watch the runway, the airplane will be flying headlong into the mountain. TERRAIN, TERRAIN, PULL UP, PULL UP...Trevor

Here's a question for all you that use trackir. How do you get it to hold still to click a button? It drifts to much, I really want to use it.

Either by practice (after a while you get very good at hitting buttons despite the motion) or by pressing the button that makes TrackIR freeze temporarily. But that's only really necessary in heavy turbulence after a while.