Sign in to follow this  
FS737Pilot

At what point on Final should i disengage the autopilot?

I have flow the last few days and could hear the auto pilot go off on final in the US I think it was CRJs forget what else i have flow

I work for Air France/Alitalia as a Flight Dispatcher...down here at SAEZ(Buenos Aires, Argentina), we have around 10 or 12 flights every day from the US and if i remember correctly AA pilots are always using leather jackets.
I knew it was them... So that makes what, 10.000 leather jackets bought by the company?

Omar Josef
737/757/767

Thanks for the info Omar... I appreciate it... Nice avatar/pic too!

I usually let it line me up and then i turn it off at 1500 or so. Mitch Bowman
Same here Mitch

John C

10nm out I turn off AP and fly her in manually... best way to do it in my opinion - Real pilots have real responsibilities towards passengers and crew so real procedures may differ, our mistakes can be forgiven.

Guest tonyf38

Let's not forget, there's still a lot of 737-200 aircraft operating commercially out there who's pilots can fly the aircraft manually just as well as the NG's autopilot can.. I miss that airplane..

100' above minimum is a good rule of thumb. I usually disconnect AP and AT when the Localizer becomes alive. Capturing the LOC and GS in IFR weather and handlflying a stabilized approach can be quite satisfying. Otherwise, I always go for non-precision or visual approaches.