Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Richard Sennett

Auto throttle help

Hi Guys: Quick question please, having a problem getting auto throttle to engage while in vnav/lnav, I prefer this way to decsend during legs, oh one more question how long after engaging loc do you engage app mode, thank you. im Not Worthy.gif

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Quick question please, having a problem getting auto throttle to engage while in vnav/lnav, I prefer this way to decsend during legs, oh one more question how long after engaging loc do you engage app mode, thank you. im%20Not%20Worthy.gif
Lets see a screenshot of your main and OH panels for the throttle problem. Is a little to little information to really tell...I engage APP when I have the G/S indicated and being heading inbound. Sometimes not engaging VOR/LOC at all. APP should be able to capture LOC and G/S both. Hope it helps,

"APP should be able to capture LOC and G/S both" thats cool thanks Mats, as for screenshot not sure what that would show ?

...as for screenshot not sure what that would show ?
Your setup for the A/T engagement for analysis. Cheers,

I'm thinking it might be ch throttle quadrant maybe - its the only way I can raise or lower speeds or is there a condition that has to be met for it to engage? would take a bit of time to do a screenshot as I would have to redo fmc inputs

If no screenshot we need more information about your setting up the a/c. Cheers,

Mats the setup is the ngx running and ready go out of the box, not cold start does that help? I did use to/ga switch does that shut itself off automaticlly?

Mats the setup is the ngx running and ready go out of the box, not cold start does that help? I did use to/ga switch does that shut itself off automaticlly?
If you want help, you need to work with people and provide what they're asking. FMC route, altitudes, weights as well as MCP modes and altitudes/headings/speeds and even what electrical and hydraulic busses are powered can effect engagement of the autothrottle. In particular, basic route information and MCP settings are going to be needed in order to help you out at all. Eric Szczesniak

I did use to/ga switch does that shut itself off automaticlly?
This leads me to believe that the TO/GA did initiate but 'shut off' is this a correct assessment? Do you have hardware throttles connected? What did the FMA tell you? Cheers,

ch yoke and ch throtlle quadrant only using left 2 sticks it has 6, not using the throttle on yoke its pulled back all the way Mats. They are setup in fsiupc., just quadrant throttle nothing else.

In your takeoff pic the autothrottle is on !! What turned it off ? Fred.

Might be the problem. Please try without any throttle physically connected. Let us know. Cheers,

Good question Fred I dont think I did hmmmOk Mats I will give it a go right now be right back

In the CDU, under PMDG options, Equipment, then 2nd page, A/T Manual Overide is set to what? Thinking he might be knocking it out that way.

Rick its set to"never" is that right also just noticed after take off you cant engage the speed button so as I went along it came on by itself then I could change the speeds must be me thats what I meant when I said does a condition have to be met ? appreciate this help guys.

Ya never means your manual throttles won't override A/T ever. Hmmmmm strange problem then.

Rick its set to"never" is that right also just noticed after take off you cant engage the speed button so as I went along it came on by itself then I could change the speeds must be me thats what I meant when I said does a condition have to be met ? appreciate this help guys.
FCOM VOL 2 Page 222 !! Any of the following conditions or actions disengages the A/T:•moving the A/T Arm switch to OFF•pushing either A/T Disengage switch•an A/T system fault is detected•two seconds have elapsed since landing touchdownThe autothrottle also disengages if it is engaged in a Speed mode, Retard for descent mode, or an N1 mode other than A/T GA mode AND;[Option - Throttle Split Monitor, Honeywell MCP and Smiths A/T computer, with or without Quiet Climb]•thrust levers become separated more than 10 degrees during a dual channel approach after FLARE armed is annunciated[Option - Throttle Split Monitor, Collins MCP with integrated A/T, without Quiet Climb]•thrust levers become separated more than 10 degreesMay

Ah ok I just did a perfect autoland, the thing I noticed is I do not try to switch on the speed button it just does it all by itself, when it needs to I guess speed button illuminates by itself I can turn the speed down then also just use lvlchg to descend, does this sound right? seems to work.

Ah ok I just did a perfect autoland, the thing I noticed is I do not try to switch on the speed button it just does it all by itself, when it needs to I guess speed button illuminates by itself I can turn the speed down then also just use lvlchg to descend, does this sound right? seems to work.
This happen when it captured the glideslope? When it comes out of VNAV, the speed window comes active.

Yes !! Pressing speed will disengage the autothrottles. Once Flare & Rollout are armed the only thing you need to adjust is the speed.It will decend down the glideslope by itself for an autoland. Fred.

Yes Rick but during flight I guess I need to leave the speed button alone, then all works, it comes on all by itself when need be I guess?

Yes Rick but during flight I guess I need to leave the speed button alone, then all works, it comes on all by itself when need be I guess?
LNAV will disengage after Localizer capture and VNAV will disengage after glideslope captureleving you with just speed mode.Obviously if you then pressed the speed button the autothrottles would disengage because their would be no thrust mode. Fred.