Sign in to follow this  
Morganw487

Aircraft SIze in the SImulator

Hi guys, Just wanted to put something out there. In my opinion, aircraft in flight simulator, including the NGX, appear significantly smaller. Now, I know all PMDG products are to scale, but that feeling of being in something so large just does not seem to come through the simulator, for me at least. Right now i'm cruising with the NGX; it appears small even though it is 100% to scale. I just think it stinks how flight simulator makes things appear differently. For example, it makes a 737 appear tiny when in real life, it is a very very large object. What do you guys think? Morgan W

It probably has to do with the fact that your monitor consumes less than a third of your field of vision. Try a panoramic monitor, so that you peripheral vision is covered, and the aircraft won't appear tiny.Trevor

Well I upgraded from a 32" to a 50" and it made a huge difference to immersion in the VC with TrackIR.Still not 100% true to scale but large enough to start fooling your brain. Especially flying at night in a darkened room.Regards

Rob Prest

just finished playing NHL 10 on PS3, and I noticed as well that although the players and ice surface are to scale, I just wish I had a 200ft long ice rink and 6ft. players to play with. I guess i'm not going to achieve that on 22" monitor. See where i'm going with this.... ;) **Note - This was meant to be an observation to put things in perspective and NOT a flame towards Morgan or any other poster.

EDIT : FSX has some big trees o.O
I thought I was the only one who noticed! They're about 200ft tall, and the building are about the same height. It really ruins the feeling of height perception.

It's about the zoom level. For actual 1:1 view, at zoom level 100% everything would look as seen through what is called a normal lens (50mm on a 35mm camera). Then, all you have to do is walk closer or farther from the airplane. If you zoom out and walk in closer, then it would look like you are using a wide angle lens, and the airplane will appear smaller. Here are different dolly and zoom combinations to show what I mean. If possible, you should always use zoom 100%. The problem is that the monitor is too small and it'd be like wearing horse blinkers. 3167789.gif

Omar Josef
737/757/767

>Just wanted to put something out there. In my opinion, aircraft in flight simulator, including the NGX, appear significantly smaller. That's because they make them smaller than real life, so that they will fit inside your monitor.

Kerry W. Gipe
Savannah Georgia, USA
US FAA A&P / Commercial Pilot Multi Engine Land IFR

Your talent is a gift from God. How you use your talent is your gift back to God.

>Just wanted to put something out there. In my opinion, aircraft in flight simulator, including the NGX, appear significantly smaller. That's because they make them smaller than real life, so that they will fit inside your monitor.
Really? I always thought they had to make them smaller so they would fit down my telephone line when I download them (or to get them onto the CD).

www.antsairplanes.com