Sign in to follow this  
aaronrash

Thrust & Horsepower

this is an interesting topic, especially for a physicist (by degree) like myself. Those explanations seem pretty good to me. Its important to stress, that an unbalanced force will cause an acceleration. Even in a steady climb there is no acceleration, so W=L and T=D.

During a steady ascending flight (dV/dt = dγ/dt = 0) with a thrust

angle αT near or equal to zero, the following equilibrium applies:

Tav = D + W sin γ, L = W cos γ.

Another interesting thing I did once was take a helicopter shaft horsepower and max hover weight. Turns out it's a close relation to the horse power required by a winch (theoretical winch that is ) to heft that weight at 1 G.It's been a while but I know there was an issue with converting SHP to watts etc. Tim Dobrowolsky.

Another interesting thing I did once was take a helicopter shaft horsepower and max hover weight. Turns out it's a close relation to the horse power required by a winch (theoretical winch that is ) to heft that weight at 1 G.It's been a while but I know there was an issue with converting SHP to watts etc. Tim Dobrowolsky.
Now that is interesting.

___________________________________________________________________________________

Zachary Waddell -- Caravan Driver --

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/zwaddell

Avsim ToS

Avsim Screenshot Rules

To give you an idea of how one pound of thrust equates tp HP is at 325 kts one pound of thrust equals one horsepower. As you decelerate the HP decreases on a linear scale.

Now that is interesting.
Surely this is what you'd expect? When hovering the helicopter is lifting it's own weight at 1G. The same weight the winch is lifting, so the same power is required. Kevin Hall

ki9cAAb.jpg

During a steady ascending flight (dV/dt = dγ/dt = 0) with a thrust

angle αT near or equal to zero, the following equilibrium applies:

Tav = D + W sin γ, L = W cos γ.

hi ben, indeed you are correct, I was simplifying the situation somewhat, but of course climbing at an angle a, requires the resolution of vectors in to horizontal and vertical components, as you have explained there. Dont you just love principles of flight?.....its the physics of flying! :) paul