Sign in to follow this  
Gramps ZA

How to activate alternate airport on FMC

How does one tell the FMC to activate the selected alternate airport? Whilst trying to simulate this the FMC would not choose the alternate,I had to input into the arrivals overwriting the original destination. Surely there is an easier way to activate the alternate (ALTN)?

Doesn't work for me either. I tried from the ALTN page and from "OTHER" in the DEP/ARR page. Can't select any runways.

Doesn't work for me either. I tried from the ALTN page and from "OTHER" in the DEP/ARR page. Can't select any runways.
I believe this part of the FMC only allows you to view other approaches but the destination itself has to be changed in the initialisation type page such as when you select the destination at takeoff. I think it refers to it in the FCOM although i have also failed to get it working (not tried that hard yet tho). Ceri

I had a similar problem yesterday on a flight from LEVC to LQSA. During the flight, the RVR in LQSA has gone below the minima, so i had to divert to LDDU. Maybe my problem was, that i already programmed the approach for LQSA in the FMC. The last thing i could change was to insert a direct to ENODA (beginning of the STAR in LDDU) and delete all waypoints instead of RWY12 and Missed Aprroach in LQSA. After that i could not delete the entries for LQSA (RWY and missed approach) either on the LEGS page nor on the RTE page. The same for the INIT page, i could not insert the alternate ICAO on the destination tab. The same on the DEP/ARR page, i could see the runnways and stars for LDDU, but i could not select anything.I really would be glad if someone could tell me, how to programm the alternate approach.Greets Sebastian Barf

I had a similar problem yesterday on a flight from LEVC to LQSA. During the flight, the RVR in LQSA has gone below the minima, so i had to divert to LDDU. Maybe my problem was, that i already programmed the approach for LQSA in the FMC. The last thing i could change was to insert a direct to ENODA (beginning of the STAR in LDDU) and delete all waypoints instead of RWY12 and Missed Aprroach in LQSA. After that i could not delete the entries for LQSA (RWY and missed approach) either on the LEGS page nor on the RTE page. The same for the INIT page, i could not insert the alternate ICAO on the destination tab. The same on the DEP/ARR page, i could see the runnways and stars for LDDU, but i could not select anything.I really would be glad if someone could tell me, how to programm the alternate approach.Greets Sebastian Barf
Oh my god how many achronyms...I have to take a pill and sorry for my tech ignorance.

Go to RTE. In flight, it defaults to pg2. You need to go back to pg1. From there you can reselect your destination.I think the upcoming U11.0 FMC software will make it a bit easier to perform these functions when it comes out.

Matt Cee

Go to RTE. In flight, it defaults to pg2. You need to go back to pg1. From there you can reselect your destination.I think the upcoming U11.0 FMC software will make it a bit easier to perform these functions when it comes out.
I tried that, too, could not change it.

This is a very useful tip. Not new, yet quite useful. I did not find this info in the PMDG docs easily.

AHS712D Alvaro Escorcia KSGR/OMAA
AirHispania Virtual Airline
MSFS / ASUS TUF Gaming F15-Refresh-144Hz / 11GenIntel (R)Core (TM) i7-11800H
NVIDIA-GeForce-RTX3060GPU / 1TB-Samsung SSD / 32GB-RAM
SAMSUNG-SmartMonitor-M7-32"4K

Hi!  Did you ever get this solved? Much apreciate a reply if you did