Sign in to follow this  
WebMaximus

"Shimmering" instruments in vc

I have a realy simple (i think) question. If i make these changes to my NGX textures, can i just simply save the relevent folders and then after intalling SP1 that i am waiting on, and then just put these folders back in after SP1 and reinstallation of liveries. In other words, do i only have to do this once?

Rick Hobbs

Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg

I have a realy simple (i think) question. If i make these changes to my NGX textures, can i just simply save the relevent folders and then after intalling SP1 that i am waiting on, and then just put these folders back in after SP1 and reinstallation of liveries. In other words, do i only have to do this once?
I guess that depends on whether there will be any changes to the textures in SP1 or not and probably only PMDG knows for sure. They have been talking about a new "feature" that will let you choose between different sizes of textures (4096/2048/1024) which of course would change the textures so if you want to make sure you will only have to do this once it's probably best you want until after SP1 has been released. On the other hand, converting the textures if you skip resizing them will not take you much more than about half an hour or so.

Richard Åsberg

I guess that depends on whether there will be any changes to the textures in SP1 or not and probably only PMDG knows for sure. They have been talking about a new "feature" that will let you choose between different sizes of textures (4096/2048/1024) which of course would change the textures so if you want to make sure you will only have to do this once it's probably best you want until after SP1 has been released. On the other hand, converting the textures if you skip resizing them will not take you much more than about half an hour or so.
Thanks Richard. Now i think about it, doesn't that choice eliminate the need for the step using Gimp?Regards,

Rick Hobbs

Thanks Richard. Now i think about it, doesn't that choice eliminate the need for the step using Gimp?Regards,
Should do yes and again, you don't need to use Gimp and resize the textures with the current textures either...only if you find that your FPS suffers.

Richard Åsberg

I ran in to the same shimmering yesterday after testing AA on and off and i had to delete fsx.cfg ,after that everything is back to high standards again. Michael

Michael Moe

fs2crew_747_banner1.png

Banner_FS2Crew_Emergency.png

Hey fellas, could someone please explain to me why deleting the cfg will affect the look of the graphics, thanks.

Howard
MSI Mag B650 Tomahawk MB, Ryzen7-7800X3D CPU@5ghz, Arctic AIO II 360 cooler, Nvidia RTX3090 GPU, 32gb DDR5@6000Mhz, SSD/2Tb+SSD/500Gb+OS, Corsair 1000W PSU, Philips BDM4350UC 43" 4K IPS, MFG Crosswinds, TQ6 Throttle, Fulcrum One Yoke
My FlightSim YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@skyhigh776

Hey fellas, could someone please explain to me why deleting the cfg will affect the look of the graphics, thanks.
Only if the config is corrupted Howard. If one has to do that, something is srewed up.

System: MSFS2020-Premium Deluxe, ASUS Maximus XI Hero,  Intel i7-8086K o/c to 5.0GHz, Corsair AIO H115i Pro, Lian Li PC-O11D XL,MSI RTX 3080 SUPRIM 12Gb, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 SSD, 1Tb Samsung 860 EVO SSD, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200Mhz RAM, Corsair R1000X Gold PSU,Win 11 ,LG 43UD79 43" 4K IPS Panel., Airbus TCA Full Kit, Stream Deck XL.

I guess that is because you will then also automatically reset the shader cache and start all over again. Same thing as manually removing the stuff after the = signs for the shader cache entries in fsx.cfg or by deleting the files directly under ...\AppData\...\FSX

Richard Åsberg

Mmm, OK. I've learnt something today. I had no idea deleting the cfg would affect the graphics, thanks.

Howard
MSI Mag B650 Tomahawk MB, Ryzen7-7800X3D CPU@5ghz, Arctic AIO II 360 cooler, Nvidia RTX3090 GPU, 32gb DDR5@6000Mhz, SSD/2Tb+SSD/500Gb+OS, Corsair 1000W PSU, Philips BDM4350UC 43" 4K IPS, MFG Crosswinds, TQ6 Throttle, Fulcrum One Yoke
My FlightSim YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@skyhigh776

One thing I noticed yesterday after finally doing some actual flying and not only FSX tweaking :( was that I still have shimmering PFDs and NDs for example especially at the FO's side. Or rather it's the content that shimmers and I also noticed shimmering for the green lights indicating gear down and locked. It seems to be the actual "light" and text and numbers that give this shimmering effect now. Didn't notice this until now since I've been playing in a dark & cold cockpit until yesterday. I have looked through all textures but can't find any that I haven't already mipmapped, I wonder if there is some way this shimmering effect can be fixed as well...what are you guys experiencing in this regard...do you see the same shimmering text and numbers and lights as I do? I guess we could need a real FSX addon developer here now that could help us understand how all this work.

Richard Åsberg

One thing I noticed yesterday after finally doing some actual flying and not only FSX tweaking wink.png was that I still have shimmering PFDs and NDs for example especially at the FO's side. Or rather it's the content that shimmers and I also noticed shimmering for the green lights indicating gear down and locked. It seems to be the actual "light" and text and numbers that give this shimmering effect now. Didn't notice this until now since I've been playing in a dark & cold cockpit until yesterday. I have looked through all textures but can't find any that I haven't already mipmapped, I wonder if there is some way this shimmering effect can be fixed as well...what are you guys experiencing in this regard...do you see the same shimmering text and numbers and lights as I do? I guess we could need a real FSX addon developer here now that could help us understand how all this work.
I mipmapped my textures and although a noticable improvement, i am still experiencing exactly as you describe. I have not however resized, as i am going to wait for SP1 (laziness on my part). Having said that, i am still happy with the results so far. Regards, P.S. Am going to use that batch file on my UT2 tonight.

Rick Hobbs

I'm waiting for SP1 too and will be interesting to see if there is any improvement to this shimmering problem, one can always hope :smile:As for resizing the textures I haven't really seen the reason for it unless you have a performance problem after mipmapping and converting all textures to DXT5 and I'm locked at 30FPS so I have nothing to complain about. Another thing I wonder is if it could actually give you problems when you use textures bigger than 1024 at the same time you have max texture size set to 1024 in fsx.cfg. I know you should have it set to 4096, it's the same thing running REX with their high resolution textures but since I'm pleased with 1024 and FSX will always revert back to 1024 whenever you change any display settings I figured I will just leave it at 1024. However I have tried setting it to 4096 just to see if it solves the shimmering problem but this doesn't seem to affect the shimmering.

Richard Åsberg

I'm waiting for SP1 too and will be interesting to see if there is any improvement to this shimmering problem, one can always hope smile.png As for resizing the textures I haven't really seen the reason for it unless you have a performance problem after mipmapping and converting all textures to DXT5 and I'm locked at 30FPS so I have nothing to complain about. Another thing I wonder is if it could actually give you problems when you use textures bigger than 1024 at the same time you have max texture size set to 1024 in fsx.cfg. I know you should have it set to 4096, it's the same thing running REX with their high resolution textures but since I'm pleased with 1024 and FSX will always revert back to 1024 whenever you change any display settings I figured I will just leave it at 1024. However I have tried setting it to 4096 just to see if it solves the shimmering problem but this doesn't seem to affect the shimmering.
After Mipmapping and changing to DXT5, Went to a gate at KSFO (with FlightBeam) and the followed an Airbus to 28L and parked. As you know, that runway TO/TDZ is right by the water. Well i am locked at 30FPS and i was dipping (now and again) to 26/27. That's about 3FPS better than before mipmapping, so i'm not complaining.

Rick Hobbs

That's great! Even though my main reason for mipmapping has been and still is to get rid of this €**$> shimmering obviously people also see better performance and to get both better IQ and FPS at the same time isn't bad!

Richard Åsberg

Well i tried to fix my UT2 but i don't have my SDKs in my fsx folder where the image tool is. Aparantly it is on disc 1 of my FSX Delux install disc but it won't let me into the SDK folder to get the Image tool exe. Any ideas?

Rick Hobbs