Sign in to follow this  
WebMaximus

"Shimmering" instruments in vc

Forgive me but I don't see how changing driver versions can have influenced what textures are loaded by FSX. Although you have used Nvidia inspector to re-apply the PMDG recommended settings, the shimmering is usually a sign that something is amiss with the Nvidia profile.Could I suggest you give it one more try, using the latest Nvidia inspector, and double-checking that each and every setting is correct (including the one about setting the "antialiasing behaviour flag" to "none")?Also, when you've got the settings right, remember to click "Apply": I've forgotten this before, because Nhancer didn't require it.Also, double-check that the antialiasing box in FSX is un-ticked.Sorry if this is all obvious but in my (painful) experience usually it's something pretty simple like this, that's just been overlooked.RgdsTim

Thanks for your input and suggestions Tim, I'm pretty sure everything you mention is set the way it should be but I'll double-check yet another time when I get home. What filtering option is the best one to use inside FSX? However as I understood it that shouldn't make any difference since it's being overridden by the filtering setting in Nvidia Inspector. Should mention I have tried different settings but still with the same shimmering result.Anyway, will check all settings once more and report back.

Richard Åsberg

Hi Richard, one more suggestion for you. I recently upgraded my nvidia drivers, I have a GTX 460 and use Nvidia inspector and have had no shimmering or texture problems till I upgraded the drivers. I then had shimmering and what looked like flashing white lines as I panned around the cockpit using the default hat switch. Also the display screens looked odd, hard to describe but had like a blocky background. After rechecking and reapplying the Nvidia inspector settings which made no difference and making sure there was only one display adapter listed in the FSX.cfg I rebuilt the shader cache and lo and behold, cockpit back to it's best again. Hope this helps you get to get sorted Steve Mckenna

There is one other thing you might try, before (I suggest) fiddling with shaders and textures:1. Backup your fsx.cfg file.2. Then delete it, and let FSX build a new one, which you can then ... 3. ... run through the tweaking tool at http://www.venetubo.com/fsx.html .RgdsTim

That sounds exactly like the problem I have and fact is I bought a program called Shade for FSX. I have tried running FSX without it though but still have the shimmering but maybe this shader cache you talk about already got corrupted in some way by using this app.Will try what you suggest right away when I get home but how exactly do I rebuild this shader cache to make sure I start with a 100% fresh one?

Richard Åsberg

Yeah this needs a SP fix. The Overhead sometimes gets shimmer bad when I zoom in and out. Really ugly. The shimmer lines look green for me.This with 9800gt 1gb

Not a help at all, but I can report having same issue.It showed up after I did some modifications in fsx.cfgI was reading lots of articles on net, including avsimand was experimenting alot. It was nice ok before,but at some point this shimmering appeared. Can' t remember what exactly I did, but I'm dueto reinstall my fsx anyway so I will try to trackand trace it now, just in case it appears again. I'm running on specs as per my signature. P.s. I bet we all can' t wait for MsFlight to be released,hoping it will finally end our misery, but I'm guessing it willonly start... I doubt all the great and rather expencive add-onswe have purchased over the years for our FSX, will be compatibleto MsFlight. Or am I wrong? p.p.s sorry guys, I have logged in via facebook the first time,reposted now using avsim login.

I highly doubt FSX addons will work for MS Flight and in a way I hope they won't because that could mean MS decided to keep backward compatibility which in turn could mean (and most probably would) that also some of the internal stuff in FSX everyone is longing to finally get rid of like the outdated game engine with it's many limitations still is there. Back to the shimmering problem in FSX I have this good feeling that rebuilding the shader cache (which I also found out how it's done BTW) and/or deleting the fsx.cfg and let FSX rebuild it might be the solution to the problem, can't wait until I get home and try this out !!

Richard Åsberg

Wow, that's a very kind offer however I'm not sure it would be legal to send modified textures from commersial products so you better not. What I wonder is why the textures don't come in this format in the first place if that eliminates the shimmering but maybe it's a FPS issue?
I've already send a few modified LH textures to some members so I'm pretty sure it's OK. Plus, we both own the product, were not releasing it to the public. The reason PMDG doesn't add mips by default is by sympathy for the chaps that don't have GPU's that can handle high AF filters, because a mipmapped texture with a low AF filter will result in a blurry mess.

xxwAU.pngUzJYY.png

Ok, thanks for the clarification. I will start by trying some other things that were suggested like rebuilding the shader cache and/or FSX.cfg and shouldn't that cure the problem I would gladly try using your modified textures if it's OK. Maybe a stupid question but what is a LH texture and next...when you say one need a good GFX card to use mip maps will my 480GTX suffice without sacrificing too much FPS or do you need a card in the 500 family?

Richard Åsberg

Hi Richard, one more suggestion for you. I recently upgraded my nvidia drivers, I have a GTX 460 and use Nvidia inspector and have had no shimmering or texture problems till I upgraded the drivers. I then had shimmering and what looked like flashing white lines as I panned around the cockpit using the default hat switch. Also the display screens looked odd, hard to describe but had like a blocky background. After rechecking and reapplying the Nvidia inspector settings which made no difference and making sure there was only one display adapter listed in the FSX.cfg I rebuilt the shader cache and lo and behold, cockpit back to it's best again. Hope this helps you get to get sorted Steve Mckenna
Steve, would you post a simple "how to" rebuild the shader cache. Gotta be simple with all steps for me. I would like to see if it helps my setup. Thanks. Ray

When Pigs Fly . Ray Marshall .

Ok, thanks for the clarification. I will start by trying some other things that were suggested like rebuilding the shader cache and/or FSX.cfg and shouldn't that cure the problem I would gladly try using your modified textures if it's OK. Maybe a stupid question but what is a LH texture and next...when you say one need a good GFX card to use mip maps will my 480GTX suffice without sacrificing too much FPS or do you need a card in the 500 family?
Even a 8800 gt will do, because fsx is cpu heavy and not so much gpu. lh texture just stands for the default lufthansa texture for the 747, which I updated to latest specs and gave to a few members who were in need of one. I can't make it public though.
Steve, would you post a simple "how to" rebuild the shader cache. Gotta be simple with all steps for me. I would like to see if it helps my setup. Thanks. Ray
Basically, all you have to do is to go in users/ appdata/ local/ microsoft/ fsx and delete the shader folders. There should be two folders only, one for dx9 and one for dx10.

xxwAU.pngUzJYY.png

Even a 8800 gt will do, because fsx is cpu heavy and not so much gpu. lh texture just stands for the default lufthansa texture for the 747, which I updated to latest specs and gave to a few members who were in need of one. I can't make it public though. Basically, all you have to do is to go in users/ appdata/ local/ microsoft/ fsx and delete the shader folders. There should be two folders only, one for dx9 and one for dx10.
thank you so very much for that great tip, it made a big difference to me in scenery, but MD-11X panels still show shimmering though especially around front panel displays(PFD, ND and so on). Thanks again and thanks to the OP too.

Ali A.

MSFS on PC: I9-13900KS | ASUS ROG STRIX Z790 MB | 32GB DDR5/7200MHz RAM | ASUS TUF RTX4090 OCE | 1TB M.2 Samsung 990 Pro (Windows) +2TB Samsung 990 Pro for MSFS + 2TB Samsung 860 EVO SSD for DATA | EK-Nucleus AIO CR360 Lux D-RGB CPU cooler.

HP Reverb G2 VR (occasional use) | Samsung G9 49" Curved Monitor | Tobii Eye tracker 5 | Logitech sound system 7.1 | VIRPIL Controls (Joystick + thrust levers + rudder pedals) | Windows 11 Pro.

Hi Ray, I think it's been mentioned a few posts up but all I did was go to users/"your name"/ appdata/ local/ microsoft/ fsx and find the shader folder. I then deleted the contents of the folder and let FSX build a new one when it's restarted. Hope that helps Steve Mckenna