Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

toriu

Question Re Overclock

After finding a guide to overclock the CPU with exactly the same specs as my system, I finely plucked up the courage to do so. I'm very pleased with the results, FPS's have improved by 75% and temp stays around 60c. I have one question however. According to the CPU-Z tool the Core Speed is 4179 MHz when actually flying in FSX and drops to 2388 MHz when not in FSX. Is this normal? I assumed The core speed would be constant once overclocked.

fdc_pfe_supporter.jpg

There is a powersaving option in the bios, If it hasnt being disabled it will drop your clock speeds, Not sure what t is called on Intel boards.

After finding a guide to overclock the CPU with exactly the same specs as my system, I finely plucked up the courage to do so. I'm very pleased with the results, FPS's have improved by 75% and temp stays around 60c. I have one question however. According to the CPU-Z tool the Core Speed is 4179 MHz when actually flying in FSX and drops to 2388 MHz when not in FSX. Is this normal? I assumed The core speed would be constant once overclocked.
Mostlikely has to do with your motherboard having the ability to step up and step down the CPU clock speed based on preceived load or in the overclocking process you told the CPU to use the overclock settings when a particular program is being run. Either one is fine. You can instruct the computer to use the overclock settings as it default, always on, settings if you want to. But, really you don't need the extra performance for most routine tasks (email, internet, etc.).

Danny

I think normally in BIOS there are options for Enhanced Intel Speedstep Technology (EIST) and power management C1E. I guess there are some fine point difference on exactly how (and when) they activate, but in general the idea is to reduce CPU multiplier and volts. Many OC guides suggest turning them off in BIOS. If you use your system for things besides FS I would try leaving them on, or at least testing both ways to see if you really can see a difference with them off. If anything it would keep your cores cool when when aren't flying and maybe extend their lives a bit aside from the power saving. scott s..

Thanks guys, I will leave it as is. The overclocking has certainly helped a lot, made a flight from KJFK to CYVR last night and FPSs were acceptable even over NYC.

fdc_pfe_supporter.jpg

The stepping down action when the CPU is at idle is Intel Speedstep technology. When not under load the CPU will drop to your base CPU speed. Remember that when you overclock you will generate more heat and use more voltage to maintain the maximum overclock so Speedstep drops this down to a nominal speed and voltage when the OC is not required. Of course you can turn off Speedstep and you local electric company will thank you for it so its best to keep it on and enjoy your OC when you need it and save a few trees when you don't.

Guest firehawk44
According to the CPU-Z tool the Core Speed is 4179 MHz when actually flying in FSX and drops to 2388 MHz when not in FSX. Is this normal?
Yes, this is normal. Glad to hear you were able to successfully overclock. Best regards,Jim

• Tom Allensworth,
    Founder of AVSIM Online

• Flight Simulation's Premier Resource!

AVSIM is a free service to the flight simulation community. AVSIM is staffed completely by volunteers and all funds donated to AVSIM go directly back to supporting the community. Your donation here helps to pay our bandwidth costs, emergency funding, and other general costs that crop up from time to time. Thank you for your support!

Click here for more information and to see all donations year to date.
  • Donation Goals

AVSIM's 2020 Fundraising Goal

Donate to our annual general fundraising goal. This donation keeps our doors open and providing you service 24 x 7 x 365. Your donation here helps to pay our bandwidth costs, emergency funding, and other general costs that crop up from time to time. We reset this goal every new year for the following year's goal.

42%
    $10,670.00 of $25,000.00 Donate Now