Sign in to follow this  
FlyinIron406

Best A330 (free or payware) for FSX right now?

Wilco A330's VC is really good and systems are also acurate. the only problem is the exterior model. Fan blades do not rotate properly and so as wheels.

I feel your pain Benjamin. I have been using my newly built PC for about 2 weeks now and it has been quite a task of carefully installing each addon only to experience random CTD's. I have not even considered installing the Wilco AC as they are FS9 port-overs, the only Airbus I am experimenting with at the moment is the Aerosoft Airbus X but the .cfg has to be edited to improve the flight characteristics.

\Robert Hamlich/

I feel your pain Benjamin. I have been using my newly built PC for about 2 weeks now and it has been quite a task of carefully installing each addon only to experience random CTD's. I have not even considered installing the Wilco AC as they are FS9 port-overs, the only Airbus I am experimenting with at the moment is the Aerosoft Airbus X but the .cfg has to be edited to improve the flight characteristics.
While the FS9 version came first of course, the FSX version, is FSX native, not just a port over. Port overs use the same model (ie: integrated VC, and exterior model) The Wilco PIC 737 is a port over not the Airbus Series.

Thanks

Tom

My Youtube Videos!

http://www.youtube.com/user/tf51d

Port overs use the same model (ie: integrated VC, and exterior model)
Sorry, you lost me there but I will take your word for it.

\Robert Hamlich/

Sorry, you lost me there but I will take your word for it.
FS9 models incorporate both the VC and externals in one physical model (.mdl). FSX Native models have two separate models, an Exterior model, and a Interior model (VC with or without a Virtual cabin). This is what allows me to swap out the Wilco Exterior model for another (in this case Tom Ruth's A330 model). You can't do this with FS9 port over models like the Wilco PIC737 is.

Thanks

Tom

My Youtube Videos!

http://www.youtube.com/user/tf51d

Hmm, okay, that makes sense now that you've explained it a little more. In essence they could make the PIC737 or any other FS9 addon FSX friendly simply by rewriting a little code to point to the correct and separate .mdl files, or is there more to it than that? In its day it must have been an attractive addon however compared to today's releases it wouldn't even scratch the surface. That's what bother's me about the Wilco Vol 1 & 2 fleets that were reintroduced along with the Level D 767 within a year after FSX was released, then soon after PMDG's 747X was released. Would it be fair to say that each of those releases contained FS9 content that was retooled to function within the FSX SDK environment?

\Robert Hamlich/

Just a small update that I merged the Feelthere VC and Thomas Ruth exterior model of the A330-300, and got it working brilliantly. Now doing KBOS-EHAM with a Delta A330-300. Having this exterior model is somewhat of a relief... EDIT: there I was thinking I could fly to EHAM with this crappy plane. FSX crashed, and I made the mistake of thinking that a panel state would be saved. Of course that didn't happen, and 40 minutes into the flight I might as well start again without any guarantee that I'll make it anyway. Thanks you FSX. Thanks you Wilco, and thanks you Feelthere. Again 40 minutes of my life wasted. These are always the sort of moments that I just don't understand why I even use FSX. Anyway, good to know that the Wilco long haul Airbusses just don't work out for me. That'll save me the trouble of trying to merge the other types with the Thomas Ruth busses. *sigh* Truly seems like the only long haulers I have that are reliable are the PMDG MD-11 and 747. The rest either randomly crashes or does not sport the level of detail that I'd like to see. And of course Windows' logbook isn't of any help either, mentioning "g2d.dll", of which I've never even heard before. Probably is caused by the 2D panel, as some sources say. Sorry for the rant. Needed to get that off my chest.
Thralni, I merged the wilco vc and the thomas ruth exterior model and they work great. I did a couple of flights and all is well.Looks like they are a perfect match. No crashes no nothing. I tried merging the wilco vc and the CLS a330 e exterior model but I couldn't add the VC right.

Well it works great together as long as the Wilco panel doesn't crash. The problem I have with the Wilco Airbus Volume 2 is that the panel state doesn't seem to be saved. It should do that, but I've never actually seen it work.

Benjamin van Soldt

Windows 10 64bit - i5-8600k @ 4.7GHz - ASRock Fatality K6 Z370 - EVGA GTX1070 SC 8GB VRAM - 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX @ 3200MHz - Samsung 960 Evo SSD M.2 NVMe 500GB - 2x Samsung 860 Evo SSD 1TB (P3Dv4/5 drive) - Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200RPM - Seasonic FocusPlus Gold 750W - Noctua DH-15S - Fractal Design Focus G (White) Case

Tom Ruth's A330 is really good. I haven't used any payware ones but Tom Ruth's model quality is great and they have VCs as well.

At the moment, the best A330 for FSX, is the PMDG MD-11 Devil.gif Al

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

To all those interested : The good old PSS A330/A340 work also in FSX.(with some minor modifications and without fly by wire).You can also combine Thomas Ruth model's with the Pss panels. Some pictures are here:http://forum.avsim.n...48#entry1961848 The details of the FSX adaptations are given in this thread:http://forum.avsim.n...ost__p__1915058 Guy
Hi, Thanks. Do you like the pss Vc better than the wilco one ?

Hi,Thanks. Do you like the pss Vc better than the wilco one ?
I use mainly the 2d panel!The strong point of the Pss airbus is in my eyes the robustness of the FMGS (Mcdu/Fcu).But I did not at all want to start a PSS/Feelthere-Wilco comparison. (there were enough!)Everybody should fly the version he/she likes best!Guy

Yes, in fact I flew a flight today in her!! Merge from model to panel not the other way around. in other words,Make a copy of the Feelthere A330 folders for the variants you are merging (So you can still use the Wilco/FT models if you want)Copy the Tom Ruth's external model into the Model folder of the copied folderMake the change in the model.cfg to reflect the new model. (Keep the interior model entry the same!)Copy texture folder for the livery(s) you are using into the copied F/T A330 folder.Either use the fallback texture.cfg file pointing to the base Wilco/FT texture folder (You can use the one in the one of the variants of the default 737 texture folders.) or copy the interior textures from the base texture folder to the livery folder. (The former option is easier.)edit the aircraft.cfg file and replace the View, lights, exit, and contact point sections with the one in Tom Ruth's A330 folder.Create a Fltsim entry for each livery converted. pointing to the appropriate texture folder. Use an existing entry as a guide.Remove all other existing fltsim entries as they will cause duplicates from the original folder.That should do it.!!
I'm sorry,I don't figure it out! Can you not make a guide with path and file names!Thanks