Sign in to follow this  
Evan Banalian

NO Landing/Taxi lights visible at night.

I did try repair option from FSX Acceleration Disc but it didn't fix the problem, nor bringing the spotlight.bmp and halo.bmp files from a different system fixed the problem.

I didn't tried because at that moment wasn't sure which addon was causing the problem.Next time i needed to start from scratch i installed everything as usual, except this one, and the problem never appeared again.

I am having the same problem as the original poster. I too have REX textures installed. Actually, I have been searching for a solution to this problem for nearly a year. It takes me well over 3 days to reinstall all software and FSX addons, so I don't want to do that... again... if I don't have to!

Not sure this hasn't already been said. I see that it has been in several posts but not exactly this way.Evan, you said "reinstall rex2 landing lights". This is hard to see how you did it, and I had this problem before twice and the way I fixed it was to roll back Rex2 to my original install backup (this is when you first install Rex, the "Initial Backup"). ONLY the initial backup has the files that need to be put back. So say someone were to just later uncheck the option for runways, well that won't clear up the problem, or will just trying new textures. You must roll back with the initial backup I found and it was the only way to clear it up for me. Once you roll back, uncheck the option to install the runway textures. I see many have pointed out the halo and spotlight which is where I thought the problem was too. I even had someone email me their default ones with no change. Only in doing as I said cleared the issue up 100%. Maybe there's more to it then might appear. Maybe there's also an associated _lm for night somewhere? I cleared up other issues with some Orbx runways by removing the grass texture (detail1.bmp), but the light issue is different.So I just wonder if it is actually only the spotlight and halo. I doubt it since as I said, I've tried to just replace them and it doesn't work. If you have an "initial backup", try that rather than uninstalling/reinstalling or just in changing options.Hope this helps.

i9 10920x @ 4.8 ~ MSI Creator x299 ~ 256 Gb 3600 G.Skill Trident Z Royal ~ EVGA RTX 3090ti ~ Sim drive = M.2  2-TB ~ OS drive = M.2 is 512-gb ~ 5 other Samsung Pro/Evo mix SSD's ~ EVGA 1600w ~ Win 10 Pro

Dan Prunier

Thanks Dan... that's it. I'll play with the REX settings later and see what happens. For now, I'm off to do some "night" flying. Taxi, takeoff, and landing should be a "bit" easier now! LOL!Murray

Thanks, but I don't have it on. I installed 3d redux lighting effects and it works with each airplane I configure manually but the deafult landing lights still don't work.
I installed 3d redux also. I didn't pay attention before but now my taxi lights don't work. All other lights ok. I emailed A2Simulations twice but have not heard back.

I would think that it's just a coincidence and you're just now noticing it? A2A's 3D Redux lights are nothing more than textures that install which you later have to use via aircraft.cfg edits. Take a look at the backup it creates, it's only copies of aircraft.cfg's. So if it did happen right after installing it, then it's something you had to edit in the cfg I would think. Maybe that, or the 3D lights are conflicting with your aircrafts special efffects.

i9 10920x @ 4.8 ~ MSI Creator x299 ~ 256 Gb 3600 G.Skill Trident Z Royal ~ EVGA RTX 3090ti ~ Sim drive = M.2  2-TB ~ OS drive = M.2 is 512-gb ~ 5 other Samsung Pro/Evo mix SSD's ~ EVGA 1600w ~ Win 10 Pro

Dan Prunier

REX (I think) messed up one of textures. You need to replace spotlight.bmp in the textures folder. Can't post it because of copyright thoughOnce you get it, make sure and save it because every time you reload textures in REX this will happen
I removed the spotlight bmp file and I still had all lights except taxi
I would think that it's just a coincidence and you're just now noticing it? A2A's 3D Redux lights are nothing more than textures that install which you later have to use via aircraft.cfg edits. Take a look at the backup it creates, it's only copies of aircraft.cfg's. So if it did happen right after installing it, then it's something you had to edit in the cfg I would think. Maybe that, or the 3D lights are conflicting with your aircrafts special efffects.
I havent edited any of the config files. I prefer not to mess around with those, I only noticed It because I installed 3d and was checking out the lights. Prior to that I didnt do night flying.

I have tried to restore REX "Initial Backup and it didn't fix the problem. I still don't have any taxi or landing lights.Thanks for the help.Evan.

Evan, just to be sure you're still having the same issue, you are only talking about the lights lighting up the ground, correct?Someone mentioned DX10 preview and you stated it is not on, ok, but. Try this (it's cleared up stranger issues). Turn it on, restart FSX, load a flight, exit the flight but not FSX. Change it back without DX10 preview, shut FSX down. Launch it and load a night flight and test. I don't remember exactly what this fixed but it has fixed weird issues and think this may have been one of them.

Dan Prunier

Yes, I'm talking bout the lights lighting up the ground. I will try to see if DX10 Preview thing will help.Thanks Dan.Evan Banalian.

I am also having this issue. Highly annoying. Cant land/taxi/take off in any planes at night time except for the NGX due to this issue, borderline game breaking.

While I do have landing lights its just curious that the taxi lights dont work. Since it appears that the taxi lights are just the right side landing light. At least thats what it looks like in FS9

I had this problem months ago, and solved it by replacing my entire 'effects' folder from a backup. I believe my problem was caused by installing a patch to a particular airplane addon, but I won't name it since I'm not 100% positive it was at fault (but I'm pretty sure it was).