Sign in to follow this  
IAmThWlfMan

WOOHOO X-Plane 10 Demo is out..

Thank you for this! I will download and try before eating any turkey today!
not likely .. i am at 8 hrs and growing for the download.

I have it and tried it.It delivers what you have seen so far - at a price. Just as Austin said - if you set up the same visual performance as XP9 you will get similiar - if not slightly better - framerates.But everything on top comes at a price. Shadows are expensive. In-cockpit shadows are not working well for me. Clouds are expensive. KSEA is looking great, but hurts my framerate pretty bad. I have a fairly good system (i5 2500k, 560Ti). Don´t expect miracles, there is no free lunch. Dig up some old posts about when FSX was released. I think we will hear much to the same tune.One hard crash, too. I can´t go to the "joystick axis" page without the program stopping on me.Completely new view system. Haven´t dug in enough to know if I like it or not.Oh, and one thing to keep in mind: This is not a demo of the final product! This can be considered an early beta. Check out the "contact us" link at the download page. Use it to tell the team what issues you have (along with all pertinent information and the log.txt from your X-Plane10 directory).X-Plane has gone through this painful transition several times - it will shine eventually, and if you stick around you will be rewarded :-)Jan
The same here. around 15-20 fps with medium settings. Demo limited to 10 minutes and takes lot of loading time. Will need 3-4 runs to get the setup ready. But that just the very first impression. Need to get into this one so....But looks promising nonetheless.i7 2600k@4.1, 560gtx 1GB oc, 8GB Ram, Win 7, 64 Bit.

I think the 10 mins stop when you are paused or in the menus... so there is plenty of time to fiddle. Also you can keep tuning, even if the 10 mins are expired. Just have a window pop-up in the screen...

I have it and tried it.It delivers what you have seen so far - at a price. Just as Austin said - if you set up the same visual performance as XP9 you will get similiar - if not slightly better - framerates.But everything on top comes at a price. Shadows are expensive. In-cockpit shadows are not working well for me. Clouds are expensive. KSEA is looking great, but hurts my framerate pretty bad. I have a fairly good system (i5 2500k, 560Ti). Don´t expect miracles, there is no free lunch. Dig up some old posts about when FSX was released. I think we will hear much to the same tune.One hard crash, too. I can´t go to the "joystick axis" page without the program stopping on me.Completely new view system. Haven´t dug in enough to know if I like it or not.Oh, and one thing to keep in mind: This is not a demo of the final product! This can be considered an early beta. Check out the "contact us" link at the download page. Use it to tell the team what issues you have (along with all pertinent information and the log.txt from your X-Plane10 directory).X-Plane has gone through this painful transition several times - it will shine eventually, and if you stick around you will be rewarded :-)Jan
While I download the demo I find your post most interesting. Flight Unlimited III was the first sim to introduce something that was well beyond the horsepower of present computers at the time, but to also have sliders to adjust personally what effects one wanted. This was historically when the heavy complaining started, and in fact was so much so that the complaining put FUIII out of business quite rapidly. We all know about fsx-it seems no one can resist putting sliders to the full right...One of the xplane raves has always been its "smoothness"-though it has been pointed out that that is truly a cause of its past limits (low visibility etc.).For me-I am very excited to have the personal power to choose what I want displayed in a sim, and a sim which can grow as I upgrade my future computer system.I truly hope this will not end up being another example of giving end users a special power that they will turn into a negative...with the past history this is a possible dangerous step, and certainly will end one of xplane's past mantras. History does tend to repeat itself....

Avid FSX user here but will download and see what all the hype is about!!! Just hope it works well on an i7 + GTX570!!!!!

spacer.png

MSI Codex 5 10SC-262UK Desktop PC - Intel Core i7-10700, RTX 2060 Graphics, 16GB RAM, 2TB HDD, 256GB SSD.

While I download the demo I find your post most interesting. Flight Unlimited III was the first sim to introduce something that was well beyond the horsepower of present computers at the time, but to also have sliders to adjust personally what effects one wanted. This was historically when the heavy complaining started, and in fact was so much so that the complaining put FUIII out of business quite rapidly. We all know about fsx-it seems no one can resist putting sliders to the full right...One of the xplane raves has always been its "smoothness"-though it has been pointed out that that is truly a cause of its past limits (low visibility etc.).For me-I am very excited to have the personal power to choose what I want displayed in a sim, and a sim which can grow as I upgrade my future computer system.I truly hope this will not end up being another example of giving end users a special power that they will turn into a negative...with the past history this is a possible dangerous step, and certainly will end one of xplane's past mantras. History does tend to repeat itself....
100% agree with you Geof. One of x-plane's stand out features for me personally was it's feeling of 'fluidity' and 'smoothness'. I hope XP10 doesn't go down the road of offering too much, too early, with the majority of systems unable to cope. Incidentally, I have a Corei7 920 CPU, 6gb memory and an ATI 4870 GPU, it doesn't set the world alight but it runs X-plane 9 at 50fps solid with a Carenado plane and a scenery add-on which is great for me, and I am very happy with how it runs. But I can make even XP9 drop to it's knees if I try to make my system handle too much by turning things to the 'INSANE' levels for instance! I will be interesting to find out how XP10 fairs. But to be honest I'll probably (who am I kidding...definitely) have to buy a new system if I want to run XP10 and FLIGHT at acceptable levels. Time to get my wallet out and explain to the wife that I will do the dishes for 3 months!! Rhydian

I have set up a shot where the camera is overlooking KSEA towards the northeast. I get around 25fps with default settings, but no shadows and no HDR rendering. This is at maximum visibility and a "broken overcast cumulus" sky. I can live with that - especially if more tuning will be done.If I add 4 AI aircraft the framerate comes down to 15fps...but if I bring down the visibility to 25Nm I go back to about 22fps.In more rural areas I go up to 40fps easily.This build is far from optimized I have heard.i5 2500k and Ge560Ti

Folks should also be aware that one thing we're doing is stuffing in what we WANT.....then we will be performance analysis and optimizing and taking steps to increase performance where needed....in addition to fielding any bug reports given the myriad of systems out there. We find it easier to add a lot of stuff and features and then 'scale back' rather to be caught short without enough. Thus far, we have been in "feature add" mode....and now it's time to wrap it all together, get community feedback via the demo (which should be called a beta IMO) and then make it better.

I have set up a shot where the camera is overlooking KSEA towards the northeast. I get around 25fps with default settings, but no shadows and no HDR rendering. This is at maximum visibility and a "broken overcast cumulus" sky. I can live with that - especially if more tuning will be done....
Where is the screenshot then? I'm still at work and I want something to look at ;-).

Folks should also be aware that one thing we're doing is stuffing in what we WANT.....then we will be performance analysis and optimizing and taking steps to increase performance where needed....in addition to fielding any bug reports given the myriad of systems out there. We find it easier to add a lot of stuff and features and then 'scale back' rather to be caught short without enough. Thus far, we have been in "feature add" mode....and now it's time to wrap it all together, get community feedback via the demo (which should be called a beta IMO) and then make it better.
Good stuff will defo give this a run over the weekend!
Where is the screenshot then? I'm still at work and I want something to look at ;-).
Lol same love trolling the forums!!!

spacer.png

MSI Codex 5 10SC-262UK Desktop PC - Intel Core i7-10700, RTX 2060 Graphics, 16GB RAM, 2TB HDD, 256GB SSD.

The screenshot is on my computer - I can´t seem to upload a shot to this forum - it asks me for a URL, seems like a complicated process.Jan

I have set up a shot where the camera is overlooking KSEA towards the northeast. I get around 25fps with default settings, but no shadows and no HDR rendering. This is at maximum visibility and a "broken overcast cumulus" sky. I can live with that - especially if more tuning will be done.If I add 4 AI aircraft the framerate comes down to 15fps...but if I bring down the visibility to 25Nm I go back to about 22fps.In more rural areas I go up to 40fps easily.This build is far from optimized I have heard.i5 2500k and Ge560Ti
Hi Jan,Out of interest, if you set all options to the most basic settings what sort of frames do you get?By the way enjoyed the 737 Classic engine start-up video yesterday. Lots of potential and even at this early stage it's looking great.CheersRhydian

Tom just a suggestion that may aid your development/debug efforts, that maybe you can run up the flag pole. Maybe just for the first couple of releases or maybe until the actual product is released, the demo could be extended to say 20-30minutes. Being a Beta as you refer to it, it will give users a little more time to discover possible problem, that could be reported and fixed early on and stabilize the product quicker . Once the product is released, or whenever Austin feels is right, he can put it back to 10 minutes. Just a suggestion, as I think you'll agree, 10 minutes is a little light if one of the intentions of releasing the demo before release is to get public feedback to debug.

Thanks

Tom

My Youtube Videos!

http://www.youtube.com/user/tf51d

Hi Jan,Out of interest, if you set all options to the most basic settings what sort of frames do you get?By the way enjoyed the 737 Classic engine start-up video yesterday. Lots of potential and even at this early stage it's looking great.CheersRhydian
Thanks!Anyway, it is not quite possible to really give a substantiated benchmark on fps. It is just too dependent on where you fly and what kind of rendering load you put upon your system. I am quite sure that you will be able to sustain 40+ fps everywhere IF you are ready to scale down and limit visibility to maybe 5NM...in an average situation you can maybe keep that with 20NMs. (i5 2500k + Ge560TI)Jan