Sign in to follow this  
JasonHarris

which freeware GA to try 10 with?

OK, so after a bit of mucking about downloading xp10 I have it on the computer running. I am not very interested in the heavy stuff so I am looking for a good _free_ (I dont want to pay money to try the demo) aircraft, single or twin engine. The default planes I have tried either consume too much screen space or dont have a real 3d cockpit when panning around with track ir. I kind of got the idea they wouldn't be suitable but not sure where to start for a good one. When I flick to eyefinity mode they are absolutely huge and the zoom and translate keys dont fix it. Strange thing, when I first went full screen in eyefinity I was getting around 19 fps then it timed out and I relaunched only to obtain 5 fps. It was def going ok in eyefinity to begin with (~5980x1080) Anyway, pointers to a good aircraft to give it a proper go would be appreciated. While I am at it, I would suggest that they have a couple day no timeout before it then goes in to the 10 minute thing. 10 minutes is crazy when you are looking at this for the first time.

OK, so after a bit of mucking about downloading xp10 I have it on the computer running. I am not very interested in the heavy stuff so I am looking for a good _free_ (I dont want to pay money to try the demo) aircraft, single or twin engine. The default planes I have tried either consume too much screen space or dont have a real 3d cockpit when panning around with track ir. I kind of got the idea they wouldn't be suitable but not sure where to start for a good one. When I flick to eyefinity mode they are absolutely huge and the zoom and translate keys dont fix it. Strange thing, when I first went full screen in eyefinity I was getting around 19 fps then it timed out and I relaunched only to obtain 5 fps. It was def going ok in eyefinity to begin with (~5980x1080) Anyway, pointers to a good aircraft to give it a proper go would be appreciated. While I am at it, I would suggest that they have a couple day no timeout before it then goes in to the 10 minute thing. 10 minutes is crazy when you are looking at this for the first time.
http://www.xpfr.org/

for eyefinity you have to check "matrox triphe head" under equipments window (not sure of the name of the menu, it's where you check trackir), also change fov value under rendering settings.

Try this (you need to register to download it, I think):http://forums.x-plan...s&showfile=8870In general, the most popular (downloaded) aircrafts should also be those of better quality, so you can try some of them:http://forums.x-plan...&filter_key=allBe warned though they are all made for X-P 9 so it's not 100% guaranteed they'll work (or fly) flawlessy in X-Plane 10.Marco

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." [Abraham Lincoln]

The King Air that comes with the demo is excellent.Just enable the heading (must be runway heading, I use 'H' as a keyboard shortcut) once you lift off the runway (not before-), or you will veer off course.But is a fine VC..

The King Air that comes with the demo is excellent.Just enable the heading (must be runway heading, I use 'H' as a keyboard shortcut) once you lift off the runway (not before-), or you will veer off course.But is a fine VC..
The veering off course is something I found many FSXers are not really used to. This is the engine torque that pulls the aircraft to one side. As in the real world, you must set the rudder trim (as well as the elevator trim) to "TO" (takeoff).There are some aircraft, like my Duchess (Shameless Plug) that have counter rotating props so rudder trim is not needed. But most aircraft need it.

I have flown real airplanes and in no way do they almost flip upside down on takoffreally

I have flown real airplanes and in no way do they almost flip upside down on takoffreally
Settle down, Peppy. Veering and Flipping are very different.Might want to check you calibration.

That 10 minute thing is bugging me I must say. I can hardly set up a scenario and get in the air before it's lights out. I know they dont want to lengthen it to a time that would let average joe do a nice flight time after time and never pay for it but I really think they should have an unlimited couple of days before it goes in to lock down mode. It takes so long to load after closing to get back in that it's frustrating. Anyway, it is performing better than I expected and certainly looks better then the last time I gave it a run, many years ago. The frames I am getting are OK but I am never really happy when they drop below 25. Most FS games I lock to 30 and they run smoothly at that framerate. Single screen I imagine I would get 30spf most of the time, even with HDR on. HDR btw took a big FPS hit but it looked very good with the associated atmospheric effect. Not usable at the moment with triple screens at my resolution unless you are happy under 20 fps but v.nice at 1920x1080. I will see what some addon scenery does - I assume that I can use it in the demo but now as I say that I possibly cant if the area is restricted in the demo? Scenery is one area of concern as I have not looked in to it yet. It would be nice to have New Zealand scenery/airports etc. They are available in FSX but I will need to check for xplane. I will persevere a bit longer but as, as there is nothing absolutely jumping out right away (except hdr) saying this is a lot better than FSX, the 10 min thing makes it hard to decide if I should plonk down the $80. If christmas wasnt here I would probably just get it but now it has to woo my $80 from me and it seems to not want to let me effectively explore it before rendering the controls unusable. I will post my youtube of it when it's uploaded. I think it is looking nice. Now, as a PS, my above comments are not meant to compare/degrade or poke at xplane but the reality is I have an investment with FSX and addon's and xplane does make it difficult with it's demo policy to see if it could be a replacement. It's more of a not if but when.

That 10 minute thing is bugging me I must say. I can hardly set up a scenario and get in the air before it's lights out. I know they dont want to lengthen it to a time that would let average joe do a nice flight time after time and never pay for it but I really think they should have an unlimited couple of days before it goes in to lock down mode. It takes so long to load after closing to get back in that it's frustrating. Anyway, it is performing better than I expected and certainly looks better then the last time I gave it a run, many years ago. The frames I am getting are OK but I am never really happy when they drop below 25. Most FS games I lock to 30 and they run smoothly at that framerate. Single screen I imagine I would get 30spf most of the time, even with HDR on. HDR btw took a big FPS hit but it looked very good with the associated atmospheric effect. Not usable at the moment with triple screens at my resolution unless you are happy under 20 fps but v.nice at 1920x1080. I will see what some addon scenery does - I assume that I can use it in the demo but now as I say that I possibly cant if the area is restricted in the demo? Scenery is one area of concern as I have not looked in to it yet. It would be nice to have New Zealand scenery/airports etc. They are available in FSX but I will need to check for xplane. I will persevere a bit longer but as, as there is nothing absolutely jumping out right away (except hdr) saying this is a lot better than FSX, the 10 min thing makes it hard to decide if I should plonk down the $80. If christmas wasnt here I would probably just get it but now it has to woo my $80 from me and it seems to not want to let me effectively explore it before rendering the controls unusable. I will post my youtube of it when it's uploaded. I think it is looking nice. Now, as a PS, my above comments are not meant to compare/degrade or poke at xplane but the reality is I have an investment with FSX and addon's and xplane does make it difficult with it's demo policy to see if it could be a replacement. It's more of a not if but when.
If you turn on the autopilot when the 10 minutes are over, you can continue indefinitely.

That 10 minute thing is bugging me I must say. I can hardly set up a scenario and get in the air before it's lights out.
Put in on pause (P). Worked in 9 & seems to with 10.

If you turn on the autopilot when the 10 minutes are over, you can continue indefinitely.
not indefinitely .... it will stop when the fuel runs out Straight Face.gif

The veering off course is something I found many FSXers are not really used to. This is the engine torque that pulls the aircraft to one side. As in the real world, you must set the rudder trim (as well as the elevator trim) to "TO" (takeoff).
Wouldn't want anyone to think, that the pull to the left or right, is an X-Plane exclusive..FSX is also very capable of turning, drifting, left or right..... tendencies too. These are from propeller slip stream, torque, and P-factor.........and the direction the prop turns. FSX does have the option of "auto rudder" for those who don't have rudder pedals, and don't want to use twist grips for yaw. I'm not a fan of twist grips either. Back in the good old days of Microsoft's Combat #1, which was shortly after FS98.............you really had to lay on right rudder on those big engine warbirds. The effect was excellent.L.Adamson