Sign in to follow this  
AirbusCG

Becoming real life airlinepilot

You don't have to get a degree in anything aviation related and most people advise against it so you are a more rounded individual. My degree is in geography and specifically GIS and has nothing to do with aviation.
Piedmont Airlines is currently hiring pilots.Minimum RequirementsFirst Officers
  • 1,500 hours total time
  • 200 hours multi-engine
  • Commercial Pilots Certificate
  • Multi-engine rating
  • Preference given to college graduates with aviation degrees

Like I said, I would have the edge over a geography major all things equal. The above is typical of any regional, as I'm sure you're aware.I advise against getting a BS in Aeronautics or any of it's equivalents for the same reason you mentioned, but a BA/BS in Business Admin/Meteorology/etc like I suggested doesn't fall into that category, and I hate it when people say it does! With my degree I can do about anything on a management level.

___________________________________________________________________________________

Zachary Waddell -- Caravan Driver --

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/zwaddell

Avsim ToS

Avsim Screenshot Rules

Yeah that's a regional that is aligning themselves for the eventual ATP rule and preference that would be given to 141 college students.I would be cargo all the way if I had to do the Part 135, 121 route. I'm lucky to be in Part 91 corporate with an amazing company.

You don't have to get a degree in anything aviation related and most people advise against it so you are a more rounded individual. My degree is in geography and specifically GIS and has nothing to do with aviation.
Totally agree with this. In fact, I don't know anyone in the airline/commercial aviation business that would advise otherwise. Yes, airlines like a 4 year college degree, but they have absolutely no care what the Major of study is. If you go with a degree from an aviation centered school, you have zero to fall back on in case of furloughs/cutbacks. Get a degree in engineering, business, IT, something other than pure aviation.