Sign in to follow this  
spen2

Windows Store, coming to Windows 8 beta in February

The Microsoft store will take a 30% cut from anything sold on it. It will support pricing from $1.99 to $999.

Ed Wilson

Mindstar Aviation
My Playland - I69

Speaking about third parties freeware or not is not of topic IMO.I feel really fine with World of AI f.i. , it brings lot of simple and cute planes to FSX for free. Those planes are extremely light in term of FPS and they work like a charm.If a freeware product does not satisfy you can drop it whenever you want, a prerogative that a payware product misses and risks are high.So the MS online store doubtfully will allow freeware apps to run within itself, that's a guess but knowing MS I fear it will be a reality.

I feel really fine with World of AI f.i. , it brings lot of simple and cute planes to FSX for free. Those planes are extremely light in term of FPS and they work like a charm.
Personally, I think that the vast majority of plane models in the World of AI packages are of exceptionally good quality, with relatively minimal framerate hit. I have been busy adding new schedules and airlines into UT2 over the past few days (using WoAI packages and the UT2 Powerpack), and I have been amazed at the superb quality and variety that I have seen as I slewed across several major airports (checking to see if new additions are working). In fact, the quality of my addon scenery, airports and AI planes is so high that the chances of me purchasing a copy of MS Flight are fading by the day!

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

But, you still have XP users here on the forum and we are in the dawn of Windows 8.....
Actually while I like WIN7 (and have it on other systems) my gaming rig will remain XP simply because it works fine and supports legacy products that were designed for it.I did sign up for the beta...and was not impressed with either the NDA nonsense or the convoluted multiple registrations for Xbox live and other junk I don't have, need, or want.If Flight is going to be a total closed marketplace featuring microtransactions and other similar stuff to enjoy Microsoft can keep it. I'll stick to FSX and XP9/X.As a side note-one wonders what happens to the likes of VATSIM/IVAO under the Flight regime.

AVSIM Staff Reviewer
Bush Is Good!
banTedG01.jpg

The Microsoft store will take a 30% cut from anything sold on it. It will support pricing from $1.99 to $999.
As well, the Microsoft App store drops to 20% after $25,000.From what I could see no one is forced to use it either.Of course it is hard to imagine that could be done to Windows programs at this point.

"Microsoft plans to give developers who write software for Windows computers and devices a greater share of revenue sold through the company’s upcoming Windows Store.If the software, or app, makes at least $25,000 in revenue, Microsoft plans to give developers an 80% cut. Applegives developers 70% of the revenue that apps bring in.If a Windows app hasn’t reached the threshold yet, Microsoft will share 70%, as well. "

The publisher almost always takes 25-30% cut. The good thing is, in the past, the publisher would charge the developer printing fees and all sort of fee's. In the end, the developer was lucky to take home 20-30%, so I dont see how anyone can complain about keeping 70-80%!

Kevin Miller

3D Artist and developer

in the past, the publisher would charge the developer printing fees and all sort of fee's. In the end, the developer was lucky to take home 20-30%, so I dont see how anyone can complain about keeping 70-80%!
Because this is the digital age, the standards and market has changed, taking 70-80% of returns for doing practically nothing would be ludicrous.Edit/ Sorry, re-reading your comment I see you meant the producer keeping 70-80% not the publisher. I don't think anyone is complaining about 30% commission, in fact it's quite reasonable.

If Microsoft sells to the public through an om-line store then it has responsibilities to its buyers in just the same way way as any other commercial seller. I suggest this means that it will be careful about what it allows to be sold that way - it's not going to want to be inundated with claims and demands for refunds.

The problem for freeware developers then would be copyright and trademark issues. You couldn't make AI aircraft with real airline logos, freeware aircraft resembeling real aircraft etc. unless you had obtained a lisence, which I assume is impossible.

Simmerhead - Making the virtual skies unsafe since 1987! 

The problem for freeware developers then would be copyright and trademark issues. You couldn't make AI aircraft with real airline logos, freeware aircraft resembeling real aircraft etc. unless you had obtained a lisence, which I assume is impossible.
How does it work now? is every 3P aircraft out there now for FSX, FS9 officially licenced?

Nope, and a lot of them are balancing on a razors edge! It is only the goodwill of certain companies that keep the lawsuits away. Some however have all the legal stuff taken care of. Copyright laws are a big mess, but luckily some copanies don't act like idiots and file lawsuits against hobby virtual aviators. Artistic reproduction of aircraft for a computer game should be free for all as long as it isn't for profit.

Simmerhead - Making the virtual skies unsafe since 1987! 

How does it work now? is every 3P aircraft out there now for FSX, FS9 officially licenced?
Almost certainly not because it's impractical for the airlines to take action against a myriad of small developers with little money. They might adopt a different attitude to Microsoft. Remember, Microsost doesn't ase real-world airline liveries. The FSX credits include
Produced under licence from Boeing Management Company, Boeing, McDonnel Douglas, McDonnel, Douglas, North American Aviation, their distinctive airplane liveries, logos and product markings are among the trademarks owned by Boeing.The RED BULL trademark and the DOUBLE BULL DEVICE are trademarks of Red Bull gmbh and are used under licence.
Microsoft knows the rules even if developers don't

Well this brings up an interesting point, I realize that FSX has all those credits but those are for liveries/logos, does the same apply for body shape?Where does it end? What about all the buildings used in scenery, does ORBX for example license every building they use (remember they include textures and architecture and in many cases logos)

Sign in to follow this  
  • Tom Allensworth,
    Founder of AVSIM Online

• Flight Simulation's Premier Resource!

AVSIM is a free service to the flight simulation community. AVSIM is staffed completely by volunteers and all funds donated to AVSIM go directly back to supporting the community. Your donation here helps to pay our bandwidth costs, emergency funding, and other general costs that crop up from time to time. Thank you for your support!

Click here for more information and to see all donations year to date.