Sign in to follow this  
Cras

Another SP, and once again my liveries get blown out

So much for the hours running up on the air frame and the plane showing its wear with failiures. Everytime PMDG releases a SP for the NGX it screws up my liveries and I once again have to start fresh.I of course could backed up the .cfg file, but as it was said no re-install was needed, everything under SP1 will work fine under SP1b, I figured I had nothing to worry about.Can PMDG please figure out how to patch the plane without messing with the liveries when you get to SP2?

Scott Kalin VATSIM #1125397 - KPSP Palm Springs International Airport
Space Shuttle (SSMS2007) http://www.space-shu....com/index.html
Orbiter 2010P1 http://orbit.medphys.ucl.ac.uk/

Doing that involves parsing and editing the cfg file - adds a ton of complexity to the installer and would likely be buggy itself. We created an easy method of adding and removing liveries for this product. Use it. You are aware you can load all your liveries back in in a batch right? You can select them all, you don't have to do each ptp individually.

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

For fastest support, please submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com

I confirm the Ryan's words. I've ALL the liveries of the PMDG site and only a few minutes when starting the new livery manager (v 1.09) proposing to deinstall each livery and after that reinstalling all my liveries and everything works perfectly.Don't forget to read the entire post of Robert explaining the method to apply.Hope this help.BR

Best Regards

Marc Manandise

Windows 10 PRO

... but as it was said no re-install was needed
I think there may have been some confusion to the SP1b post. Either that, or it was edited after the fact (seen that before done that before).Line 3 states - "YOU DO NOT NEED TO REINSTALL FROM SCRATCH"Line 4 states - "You will need to reinstall liveries after this update"

i9 10920x @ 4.8 ~ MSI Creator x299 ~ 256 Gb 3600 G.Skill Trident Z Royal ~ EVGA RTX 3090ti ~ Sim drive = M.2  2-TB ~ OS drive = M.2 is 512-gb ~ 5 other Samsung Pro/Evo mix SSD's ~ EVGA 1600w ~ Win 10 Pro

Dan Prunier

Doing that involves parsing and editing the cfg file - adds a ton of complexity to the installer and would likely be buggy itself. We created an easy method of adding and removing liveries for this product. Use it. You are aware you can load all your liveries back in in a batch right? You can select them all, you don't have to do each ptp individually.
Believe me, I blame myself most of all here for not backing up the files to begin with. But would following your instructions have helped with what I saw? Back in the days of hotfixes, the livery manager started seeing double, as removing liveries removes some but not all of the files, and was getting .cfgs named accordingly.

How is that confusing?Liveries have nothing to do with ReInstalls.It is reader/user error if their reading comprehension skills led them to believe otherwise.Edit: I really hate typing on these smart phones.

I have a folder on my external Hard Drive (next to my PMDG NGX original zip file) that is called All Liveries. Every time I download a new livery I unzip it then place it on the All Liveries folder. Once an update comes out, FOR EXAMPLE, SP1b, I go to the Livery Manager and then Shift select all my liveries and it installs all of them without having to do each one like Ryan said.

How is that confusing? It is reader/user error if their reading comprehension skills led them to believe otherwise.
Talk about reading comprehension skills, or lack thereof.What I meant was that either it was missed or #4 was added later. In any case I was being polite and not on a witch hunt like you appear to be.
Liveries have nothing to do with ReInstalls.
Precisely why it has confused people since the 1st SP. Do you lack an attention span completely?
Edit: I really hate typing on these smart phones.
Then don't?Anywho,,,I have seen it replace it's own files but not mine. So if a bug is fixed and a texture was updated, then the 800 or 700 folders may be updated in having textures added, replaced, or removed, but other than that, it's just been aircraft.cfg edits. The SP didn't touch any of my files, all it did was put in a fresh aircraft.cfg. Should there be another SP then all you need to do is backup your aircraft.cfg edits you made or that were put in by installing other liveries and put them back. Just don't replace the cfg since there were most likely edits to various parts of the other sections (lights, doors, etc).

i9 10920x @ 4.8 ~ MSI Creator x299 ~ 256 Gb 3600 G.Skill Trident Z Royal ~ EVGA RTX 3090ti ~ Sim drive = M.2  2-TB ~ OS drive = M.2 is 512-gb ~ 5 other Samsung Pro/Evo mix SSD's ~ EVGA 1600w ~ Win 10 Pro

Dan Prunier

Guys I think you're all missing the point. I believe, his point is about how one of the features of the NGX was the fact maintenance that had to be done on the aircraft after so many hours. Well each time we remove then reinstall the liveries, this resets the clock to zero. I've actually thought about this too, pity.

Noah Bryant

No need to get your panties all bunched up Turbine...unless you took it that personal because you were one of the ones who thought the same thing. It was not a personal attack on you...so drop the paranoia down a notch.Drink a beer, or whatever, but calm down CPT. Save-A-Forum.

Guys I think you're all missing the point. I believe, his point is about how one of the features of the NGX was the fact maintenance that had to be done on the aircraft after so many hours. Well each time we remove then reinstall the liveries, this resets the clock to zero. I've actually thought about this too, pity.
Ahh, I haven't used it so forgot about that feature. Maybe that's something too that can be backed up. Maybe it's just a cfg edit?
No need to get your panties all bunched up Turbine...CPT. Save-A-Forum.
Get off your phone, CPT. Save-A-Life.

Dan Prunier

Kinda disappointed. From your earlier replies, was kinda expecting something more. Lol.*White flag* This is dumb, I don't even know you to have something against you. See you in the sky.

Sorry William, but I did see your 1st post as an attack since it was focused on what I said after all. Truce, not abuse ;)On another note for whoever may know, or PMDG piping in without someone losing it would also be nice.Is there such an entry in the cfg or file that could be backed up to prevent what Noah said? I can certainly see this as major suckage if I were to actually use the NGX (soon I hope).

Dan Prunier

This is the point, does each livery have its own config files, or does the maintence run down connected to the aircraft config.. In this case, do we have to back that up and put it back in? or should we just start it again,This is the problem and I don't think any of the staff have suggested a work around or explanation?

Alex Ridge

Join Fswakevortex here! YOUTUBE and FACEBOOK

Before this thread passes beyond the even horizon as it were, it is the loss hours that bothered me.And I fell into this issue on my flight today. I saw that SP1b was done and was to be available, checked in this morning and saw it was downloaded it and went off to work. Came back, had a few hours, figured I could get a flight in. Then it dawned on me that I didn't download the new service pack. So I opened the folder, looked at the readme, and didn't see anything about liveries in the installation notes, so I went ahead with it.Fired up my previous flight save to continue my trip around the world, and got a notice that my livery was not valid, or initilized, the exact words I do not recall. My takeoff window was now quickly approaching so I fired up the livery manager, and had to reload my livery, then head off.Clearly I was way out of line asking this question, looking at a few of the responses questioning my ability to read English, or what amounts to a fudge off from PMDG's representative, I will just get back to making sure I backup the tail's .cfg file, so when PMDG releases their next SP that is incompatible with their own livery system, I will not be found in the same situation again.And by the way, for those who wonder, the hours are in the same file that stores the equipment and display settings for the tail number. It is in the PMDG/NGX folder in your FSX installation folder. I have been calling it a .cfg, but actually I think it is an .ini file. Save that, and you save the hours, and the equipment/display preferences.As PMDG still has not come to the realization to implement some sort of weighed hour accumulation process, without flying the NGX with the same regularity of an actual line plane, the feature is already far less potent, and with the hours being zeroes out as it were with frequency, the serviced based failiures is nothing short of a worthless feature.Cheers,