Sign in to follow this  
mlid68

Suspicious Program

Adding fsx games folder does not work you have to exclude the manager.exe itself been there done that, that will fix it for sure. Nortons fine it has come a long way, I dont even notice its running on or off.
I agree Rich. Been using Norton for years and the most recent versions do seem lighter. My son-in-law runs his own software writing and web design business and he and his three colleagues have tried them all and have all come back to Norton. They say it is no more bloated or a performance hitter than any of the others and gives the best possible protection. As he and his colleagues know what they're talking about I'll take his recommendation.Iain Smith

Uhh, NO! MSE sucks!
This is supported by what...?
MSE is a GREAT security program.
I'm with Jim, and a lot of the computer security guys would be too. Just ask anybody with any certified knowledge on the topic.

Kyle Rodgers

Just to add to the chaos.My best experience this far has been Norman. Norman keeps his nose out of other peoples business, but keeps the PC virus free.That said, I have only tried AVG, Norton and F-secure other than Norman.Andy

Got to agree with Ryan here, i installed MSSE about 8 months ago and have never had a single issue, i excluded the FSX directory to boost performance and they all run together in harmony. Its free, easy to use, good at its job, and theres an update nearly everyday. No complaints here!

Chris Howard

Well, we all have our opinions, right? I'll stick with AVComparatives and my own opinion of not using Microsoft Security Essentials. After infecting a relatives computer, I quickly got rid of the virus with SuperANTISPYWARE and MalwareBytes and then installed Avast and he never had another problem with viruses.

I started using the payware version of Windows Live Onecare when Vista came out. Since then it has become freeware and renamed Microsoft Security Essentials. Over the years I have had many websites try to infect me. Not once have I ever had to format and reinstall because of a virus.Understand I am not a Microsoft Fan and I am sure many of the Antivirus companies hate Microsoft. But the cold hard fact, like it or not is it works and it's free!

I'm using Norton, and it flagged both the livery manager, and also theperformance manager.. I spanked it, and told it to cough em back upbefore I get mad. :/The newer Norton AV is not near as bad as the old versions used to be..And it's pretty good about catching bad stuff. I'd rather get a falsepositive than to risk letting something nuke me.Once I told it to give em back, it excludes the files and doesn'ttry to do it again.I get the Norton security suite from Comcast.. They used to useMcAfee, and that program was pretty lame at catching bad stuff.It let me get totally nuked one time. I've never been nuked runningNorton yet.. Bang on wood... And it doesn't use much resourcesrunning either..

I'm using Norton, and it flagged both the livery manager, and also theperformance manager.. I spanked it, and told it to cough em back upbefore I get mad. :/The newer Norton AV is not near as bad as the old versions used to be..And it's pretty good about catching bad stuff. I'd rather get a falsepositive than to risk letting something nuke me.Once I told it to give em back, it excludes the files and doesn'ttry to do it again.I get the Norton security suite from Comcast.. They used to useMcAfee, and that program was pretty lame at catching bad stuff.It let me get totally nuked one time. I've never been nuked runningNorton yet.. Bang on wood... And it doesn't use much resourcesrunning either..
I have the same offer from Comcast.

I've had no real issues with it, and have been running it well over a yearsince they switched from McAfee.It doesn't seem to bother the sim in the least, and it's pretty good at sniffing outbad stuff.. Heck, it's flagged two different nuke attempts with "web toolkits"just in the last two days. Those are some kinda spyware/malware/trojan..It does slow down booting the puter up, but I think that's because it'schecking for updates, new sigs, maybe a simple scan, etc..It also has some other things which can be handy, such as a registrycleaner, file cleanup, etc..I would use it unless you already have something else that's working.I'll also d/l and run the latest MS malicious file cleaner ever once in a while.BTW, actually, I have it set to go into the silent mode when I run the sim,and also recording video, etc.. So really, there is no way it can mess withthe sim. But even before I did that, it didn't bother it. Sometimes I wouldbe recording a movie, and it would decide to do a scan, or whatever..I decided to set it to silent, and that could possibly cause missed framesin the video.

Hey guys! Maybe your norton is not as good as mine! On my system Norton didn't make any fuzz about the livery installer. No problems here.

Wow, this has gone off worse than the PC vs MAC debate. Grown men arguing over AV software.C'mon!

Wow, this has gone off worse than the PC vs MAC debate. Grown men arguing over AV software.C'mon!
Thanks for making me laugh this grey and rainy morning!Got to agree. Whatever AV you employ, you have to know how to configure and use it to your own requirements. False positives will always occur from time to time, no questions and is dependent on the way the AV engine and code/activity recognition is programmed. For what it is worth, Microsoft may have or have not done some dodgy or strange things in the past, but the Security Essentials package is definitely one of the good things. Effective and free, what else do you want?Andrew

+1, and to show I'm not biased, I'm a linux user since RedHat 6.0 tried AVG,Avast,and would recommened MSE to anyone.Any machine that comes my way for a format/reinstall I install MSE.

Jude Bradley
Beech Baron: Uh, Tower, verify you want me to taxi in front of the 747?
ATC: Yeah, it's OK. He's not hungry.

X-Plane 11 X-Plane 12 and MSFS2020  🙂

System specs: Windows 11  Pro 64-bit, Ubuntu Linux 20.04 i9-9900KF  Gigabyte Z390 RTX-3070-Ti , 32GB RAM  1X 2TB M2 for X-Plane 12,  1x256GB SSD for OS. 1TB drive MSFS2020