Sign in to follow this  
Mean Aerodynamic Chord

New Computer + NGX = ?

It gives you more threads, or four virtual cores (1 virtual core to each core). Some programs are designed to use multiple threads efficiently, FSX is not (and most other programs). That's why the 2600k really isn't worth the extra $100 for most people! The extra cache will show no benefit what so ever to you.
Thanks Zach.But what kind of programs use those threads and what does the extra cache mean?

I would go for a faster video board. I think you would like too use your new system for some time and as for the fsx time when a faster cpu was most important now days a gpu is more important.If money is a problem indeed a i5 is nice.Also I strongly adivice going for a ssd.Maikel Rozemeijer

I would go for a faster video board. I think you would like too use your new system for some time and as for the fsx time when a faster cpu was most important now days a gpu is more important.If money is a problem indeed a i5 is nice.Also I strongly adivice going for a ssd.Maikel Rozemeijer
How much faster? Isn't 910Mhz pretty fast enough?EDIT: One more thing, my memory ran out of stock. Which one should I get, this one http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820145345 or this one http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820178382 ?

I can't give you any numbers but was just talking in general, meaning keeping your mind after fsx. (ms flight or x-plane x or any other)If you want pricise numbers look up test tables with diverent board and diverent games. (although fsx will not be in the list) I know nvidia uses a totally bigger gpu at the faster board from the 570 series I believe.Also if multible monitors is your thing then maybe an amd (ati) video board maybe the thing for you.Nice hobby isnt it? :-)

Anyone already tried NGX + Intel i7 3960X or 3930K ?

Sorry, it's just that saying i7 sounds better than saying i5. lol
The i7 will show NO BETTER PERFORMANCE than the i5 in FSX. I highly doubt that you will use any program that uses the HT of the 2600k over the lifetime of the PC. Ask the guys in here: I initially ordered and installed a 2600k on this rig, only to have a friend that wanted it and paid top dollar. He gave me his 2500k and here I am. Not a single difference in FSX and all the other programs I'm using.If it's coming down to being macho, that's the only thing that prompted me to buy the 2600k when I did. Don't be silly like I was, use that $100 elsewhere.BTW, that's what kind of performance I'm getting on this rig. Only heavy scenery addons slow her down (and will do the exact same to the 2600k).

___________________________________________________________________________________

Zachary Waddell -- Caravan Driver --

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/zwaddell

Avsim ToS

Avsim Screenshot Rules

The i7 will show NO BETTER PERFORMANCE than the i5 in FSX. I highly doubt that you will use any program that uses the HT of the 2600k over the lifetime of the PC. Ask the guys in here: I initially ordered and installed a 2600k on this rig, only to have a friend that wanted it and paid top dollar. He gave me his 2500k and here I am. Not a single difference in FSX and all the other programs I'm using.If it's coming down to being macho, that's the only thing that prompted me to buy the 2600k when I did. Don't be silly like I was, use that $100 elsewhere.BTW, that's what kind of performance I'm getting on this rig. Only heavy scenery addons slow her down (and will do the exact same to the 2600k).
Isn't the i7 future-proof though? (I'm not talking about Flight) I DO do some video editing on my computer and rendering the videos I put on YouTube that nobody watches.

Isn't the i7 future-proof though? (I'm not talking about Flight) I DO do some video editing on my computer and rendering the videos I put on YouTube that nobody watches.
HT doesn't futureproof anything alone. Overclocking has a much bigger impact on performance for example, and it's an across the board perf boost, not only multithreaded apps.Of course if your priority is rendering videos, HT will provide about an extra 20% performance. But going from a C2D, the 2500K is already going to be like 4 times faster rendering, so it's no slouch. It's up to you to decide if rendering a 20% faster is worth $100 or not

HT doesn't futureproof anything alone. Overclocking has a much bigger impact on performance for example, and it's an across the board perf boost, not only multithreaded apps.Of course if your priority is rendering videos, HT will provide about an extra 20% performance. But going from a C2D, the 2500K is already going to be like 4 times faster rendering, so it's no slouch. It's up to you to decide if rendering a 20% faster is worth $100 or not
Well rendering on my E7500 is not so bad, so I can't wait to render a 20 minute video in 1080p in a Sandy Bridge... It'd probably take 2 minutes! lolBut guys, I think I can make the 2600k. There are rebates going on here on Newegg that takes off $50 plus some promo codes that I'll try to find that will bring down the price. And then, I can get a good graphics card. Is this XIGMATEK cooler any good? It is cheaper than the CoolerMaster Dario told me about. http://www.newegg.co...N82E16835233081 I mean, it only costs $4 after a rebate! That's a steal! Plus, the reviews on it are great.1 more thing, this power supply seems good, http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371031 and for the price, I could get a really good video card + a 2600k!!! Woo hoo! :( :( :( B) Edited by linux731

Cooler looks good, I have a similar one on another pc and performs the same as my h70.

-Iain Watson-

Cooler looks good, I have a similar one on another pc and performs the same as my h70.
Nevermind, I never heard of that brand and they seem to be some cheapy Taiwanese brand that has no support.This is $3 more but from CoolerMaster http://www.newegg.co...N82E16835103065 Is it compatible with 1155? The Details page is kinda confusing.EDIT:Nevermind about the power supply! lol! Edited by linux731

CM Hyper 212 Plus or Evo, both are great. The problem with the Xigmatek one is that it's a 3 pipes 92mm design, 212 is 4 pipes ,120mm. The smaller fan needs to spin faster so it will be louder and cool less than the 212+ or EvoThe Antec Neo Eco PSU is fine too. It's the same Seasonic model than the Antec HGC620 and the Seasonic S12II I

CM Hyper 212 Plus or Evo, both are great. The problem with the Xigmatek one is that it's a 3 pipes 92mm design, 212 is 4 pipes ,120mm. The smaller fan needs to spin faster so it will be louder and cool less than the 212+ or EvoThe Antec Neo Eco PSU is fine too. It's the same Seasonic model than the Antec HGC620 and the Seasonic S12II I
Yay, I'm glad that's cleared up.I'm going with the 2500k. HyperThreading doesn't matter to me, and a 2mb difference on the L2 cache is no big deal.I now need a graphics card. Is this GTX460 any good? http://www.newegg.co...N82E16814130749 Edited by linux731