Sign in to follow this  
sidh

A QUIZ FOR ALL PILOTS :)

Hey guys,So I have started with my Ground School...And here are some list of questions that I would like to share with all pilots/sim pilots here...A kind of Brief quiz.. give your ans along with reason :24zx3so.jpg24zx3so.jpg

1y329d.jpg

...Commercial Pilot SEL, Instrument ratedCFI ASEL (new!) ...No, probably not but thanks anyway. I shall have fun with them while waiting for supper to cook.DClimber and armchair couch-potato

I'll give you a hint. The inches in mercury one's are simpler.
Yeah.. turn the altimeter setting knob, and note the realtionship twixt displayed altitude, and the setting numbers in inches..

Please don't tell me they will ask you that type of useless questions at any exam! I've never ever had to make such a calculation while flying... :(

Please don't tell me they will ask you that type of useless questions at any exam! I've never ever had to make such a calculation while flying... :(
Isn't it sad how much useless stuff they ask-instead of asking and stressing the important stuff you really are gonna use...

I've done calculations like this a few times but it really isn't something you are going to use for every flight. Also, that must be one of the most poorly worded test I've read.

Maybe I'm thick, but how on earth would you answer the first question without knowing what altitude the altimiter was indicating with a setting of 29.75? I mean suppose you were cruising at 17,000' with an altimiter setting of 29.75 and suddenly ATC tells you the current altimiter is 27.55, so you reset your altimiter. I sure as h*ll isn't going to indicate 2233, 2213, or 2247'!Again maybe I'm thick, and it's been 30 yrs since I've taken an FAA written, but those don't look like FAA questions to me. Besides FAA multiple guess questions always have 4 options.Jim

Isn't it sad how much useless stuff they ask-instead of asking and stressing the important stuff you really are gonna use...
Yes it is but then it's the "Guvmint" way... :(

Best Regards,

Ron Hamilton PP|ASEL

Forumsig16.png

Maybe I'm thick, but how on earth would you answer the first question without knowing what altitude the altimiter was indicating with a setting of 29.75? I mean suppose you were cruising at 17,000' with an altimiter setting of 29.75 and suddenly ATC tells you the current altimiter is 27.55, so you reset your altimiter. I sure as h*ll isn't going to indicate 2233, 2213, or 2247'!Again maybe I'm thick, and it's been 30 yrs since I've taken an FAA written, but those don't look like FAA questions to me. Besides FAA multiple guess questions always have 4 options.Jim
That is a horribly worded question.. best sense I can make of it, is that it states, "flying at a level where atmospheric pressure is". I can only guess that they mean literally, the ambient pressure at that altitude, as in, the lower pressure at altitude, that an altimeter "sees".Whenever I see the term, "atmospheric pressure", I interpret it as the same number you'd here from a weatherman, or ATIS broadcast... same number you'd dial in to set your altimeter.. having nothing to do with your altitude.. Like, on a standard day, "atmospheric pressure" is '29.92' whether your at the beach, or sitting on a mountain.. right?Then a properly set altimeter measures the difference between atmospheric pressure, and AMBIENT pressure, wherever that altimeter might be.ANYway.. I don't think even my interpretation is correct for this weird question,, because the answer would be the difference between the altimeter setting, and what they're calling, "atmospheric pressure AT a level" .... 29.75 - 27.55 = 2.2 .... 2.2 / 0.00108147453246 = ~2034.. which isn't even one of the choices !P.S. Wanna hear who's dense ? I tried to copy/paste from the image.. LOLEdit: my conversion number (0.00108147453246) was based on a temp of 15C .. but even if you use the standard "rough conversion" of 1" = 1,000' ... the answer is, 2,200 .. Closer to the answers, but still not one of them.

I think they should have a question like- you are at Evanston wyoming airport (7143 Msl). A week ago when you did your weight and balance you were within 15 lbs. of gross. Since then you have probably gotten rid of 15 lbs. of stuff but your wife has bought a bunch of presents-estimated at 7 lbs. and the dog has eaten 1 lb. of his food. However due to eating out for a week you probably both weigh 5-7 lbs more- however this is an estimate since your wife refuses to tell you her weight even before the trip,and there are no scales on the trip.Due to density altitude you planned on a 9:30 am departure when the temps we're cool but due to a slow moving wife, slow checkout from the hotel, and difficulty of getting transportation it is now 11am when you have completed the preflight and it is 15 degrees warmer than expected. Your wife is now approaching the airplane with two full gallons of water she just bought at the fbo which she insists she needs for the trip, and it will be another 20 minutes after Runup and taxi before you go and tmps will be hotter, however winds should pickup from calm to a 6 kt. Xwind variable 30 degrees by takeoff time.What will be the runway length needed, the gross weight/ balance, and will your wife be happy to make the next appointment? Reason being I've run across this one many, many times- the question above-not!

DGCA(www.dgca.nic.in) Have such type of questions inn NAVIGATION , AIR METEOROLOGY, TECHNICAL AND RULES which is considered the most toughest questions for pilots in India..Indian pilots have vast knowledge on theatricals as well as technical ... For somehow i feel some of the questions are of no importance..

1y329d.jpg