Sign in to follow this  
CFIJose

Interesting Video

The settings are on low. You can tell by the texture resolution around the runway.It may be bad, but it's not going to look that bad.

Edited by bonchie

Given that HD videos on YouTube are still horribly compressed, I am nevertheless largely impressed with what I saw. It is nice to see some believable blending of the pavement and grass areas, for example, since this has been poorly done in the previous stock MS products whilst having been "solved" by third party add-ons. I will reserve judgement about the final graphics quality until I install it, since the YouTube video is not doing it justice for better or worse.I have to admit though, that I too was disappointed with those top-down views. I had not seen any of that tile blockiness in screenshots hitherto, but as has been pointed out, that aspect at least was no better than earlier versions.Personally, I very much like the HUD. There isn't really much more there than we have always gotton with the old red text and I think the way it is presented in Flight is much more attractive and accessible. Some might consider it to be arcade, but it is largely only showing the old red text data in a more visual and contemporary style befitting of the current trend in video gaming.

It looks like Microsoft is returning to the glory days of their "Our users are idiots" UI design philosophy. The one fellow who joked about the return of the infamous Office Assistant wasn't too far off. I can't imagine any hardcore enthusiast using Flight without feeling utterly patronized.

Edited by Mountain Man

hitherto
Sorry for being silly but being myself not a mothertongue....what word is that ?

Sorry for being silly but being myself not a mothertongue....what word is that ?
It means up till now, or, up to this moment, or, so far. What is is your native language? Perhaps someone can translate.As for the video, some small points of light, there's an ILS (and presumably more functional than just a line on the map), and intersections are included as well. Further more ATC com frequencies were included. You can change the plane's weight, which presumably does more than just change a number in the menu. It also looked like some torque effects were modelled, but that's rather speculative to tell from just a movie.So who knows there could be a base for something there. (Though not for a viable FSX replacement, just to make myself clear).

It means up till now, or, up to this moment, or, so far. What is is your native language? Perhaps someone can translate.As for the video, some small points of light, there's an ILS (and presumably more functional than just a line on the map), and intersections are included as well. Further more ATC com frequencies were included. You can change the plane's weight, which presumably does more than just change a number in the menu. It also looked like some torque effects were modelled, but that's rather speculative to tell from just a movie.So who knows there could be a base for something there. (Though not for a viable FSX replacement, just to make myself clear).
Thanks for the translation, I've learned a new word.I noticed the ILS cones too but I guess they are fake even because I only saw fictional approach frequencies and I didn't see ILS ones.

I noticed the ILS cones too but I guess they are fake even because I only saw fictional approach frequencies and I didn't see ILS ones.
One of the preview articles mentioned that Flight will give "nods" to hardcore fans by using correct iconography on the map screen. Because that's what hardcore fans really care about, that they use the right graphics on their Mickey Mouse interface.

The settings are on low. You can tell by the texture resolution around the runway.It may be bad, but it's not going to look that bad.
Look again, all settings are high.

Thank goodness we have people like this guy to expose the true crap in this arcade. What a joke MS.

That Is not high.
Then why do all the settings say high?

Then why do all the settings say high?
It is on high. That guy isn't used to seeing a menu so dumbed down that there are only like one option for graphics settings ROFL...Flight is going to be a *massive* failure.

Don't let that video fool you. Does it say what PC the guy is using...? No, it doesn't. Performance in that video seems quite bad and I could see late loading textures in it. He is also using the 'foolproof' realism settings, obviously. Don't trust everything you see on the internet. :wink:A beta tester which I trust when it comes to SIMMING told me that ground textures may be one notch down from for instance FTX but it surely isn't as bad as on that video. Flight behaviour simply is good and more then 'simmy' enough to satisfy FSX lovers. And performance is unbeatable at the moment. He expects that a lot of today's moaners will secretly install Flight anyway to enjoy it, besides FSX (not replacing it). Sure, the scenery that you start with is small and airliners are missing, so there is enough bad news about Flight, but it certainly isn't ONLY bad news...! There is good news too, but it all depends on what you want and like and expect.

Edited by J van E

Did anyone pick up what old simulator this reminds you of?

A pilot is always learning and I LOVE to learn.

Sign in to follow this  
  • Tom Allensworth,
    Founder of AVSIM Online

• Flight Simulation's Premier Resource!

AVSIM is a free service to the flight simulation community. AVSIM is staffed completely by volunteers and all funds donated to AVSIM go directly back to supporting the community. Your donation here helps to pay our bandwidth costs, emergency funding, and other general costs that crop up from time to time. Thank you for your support!

Click here for more information and to see all donations year to date.