Sign in to follow this  

Why move to P3D now...?

I tried the current version of P3D and it was a huge disappointment. It ran worse then FSX. Now of course I have tweaked FSX manually to perform pretty well on my pc, but I am not going to pay 10 bucks a month (and let's not forget the extra dollars some devs want you to pay to use their stuff in P3D) for something that runs similar to FSX...Now I don't really understand why some people are moving to P3D already: does it perform so much better on their pc's...? It HAS to otherwise they wouldn't pay $ 10, - a month...! I will keep an eye on P3D and try version 2.0 but I am hearing that it won't be released soon. So until then I will stick to FSX.If you are using P3D now, why? What's the benefit of P3D right NOW?

With all the talk on avsim lately I think it is a very relevant question to ask. P3D is being mentioned in every other thread at the moment. Some other people with more experience than I have with p3d will answer better but here is my take.. If you are one of the unfortunate ones who gets subjected to one or two of fsx's bugs then p3d may be your saving grace. If you like trying out new stuff then p3d could be something for you to tinker with. If you are looking to build a sim running on multiple computers I would investigate p3d. On the other hand if you are currently happy with fsx I would wait for v2 and see what is offered there. I do not think the majority will see value in a subscription between now and then. I am happy to be proven wrong though!

Hi Jerone,I've been using P3D for some time now and I'm very happy with the performance boost and/or smoothness I'm seeing. Although my system is pretty much top of the line (system specs below), I still get studders and smoothness problems with FSX. When I run P3D I get smoother performance with a slight fps improvement, however I am able to turn up P3D and maintain that smoothness, this smoothness is not possible with FSX using P3D's graphical settings.There are two items that will kill P3D's performance (On my system & I'm not sure why) and they are: 1. Using REX's Water, I use P3D's water and 2. Having the Bathysphere enabled or turned on, I don't remember the exact wording within P3D.As long as I do not use numbers 1 and 2 above, P3D runs smooth on my system. Keep in mind I'm not running and or comparing a loaded FSX and a plain vanilla P3D. I have third party software running in both, as a matter of fact the only aircraft I use in P3D is the PMDG-737NGX 600-900 series aircraft. That's one demanding lady. :biggrin:Well, that's my reason for using Prepar3D.

Edited by Mike_CFII_MEL

Former Beta Tester - (for a few companies) - As well as provide Regional Voice Set Recordings

Four-Intel I9/10900K | One-AMD-7950X3D | Three-Asus TUF 4090s | One-3090 | One-1080TI | Five-64GB DDR5 RAM 6000mhz | Five-Cosair 1300 P/S | Five-Pro900 2TB NVME        One-Eugenius ECS2512 / 2.5 GHz Switch | Five-Ice Giant Elite CPU Coolers | Three-75" 4K UHDTVs | One-24" 1080P Monitor | One-19" 1080P Monitor | One-Boeing 737NG Flight Deck

I'm wondering exactly the same as the OP. The only argument I've heard till now is that it's a bit smoother l than FSX. My FSX is smooth and performs extraordinary well. So I don't see any point to change to P3D. I still wonder what are these "glitches" or "bugs" FSX has and are fixed in P3D. Is there anything that satisfies an change to Prepar3D?!

I can concure with what mike said above. I only have the PMDG and all my FDSt stuff installed inP3d at this point, but so far a i see it as smoother, far less blurryies and an overall better feel and look. Not a major jump in FPS, but just smoother. Once the DX11 support version (V2) comes out, this will be a great platform to sim on. I also like the interface on P3d. Much more professional looking and far lass gamey. I still have FSX and always will, but Prepare3d is well worth the $10 a month I pay to use it. Hell, in NYC I pay that much each morning for a cup of coffe at Starbucks.Rob

I tried P3D and also noticed better performance, less stutters and faster texture loading but moved back to FSX because of a few niggles such as crashes on exit with EZCA, problems with the custom weather interface and a few joystick issues (mostly user error). According to John Nicol, these issues were solved and will be part of the next update I am very much looking forward to.Another niggle I noticed and I don't know if it was adressed is that as the colours in the sim look warmer (even if the textures are exactly the same as in FSX) which is very nice most of the time, I sometimes ended up with pinkish looking snow textures which can kill immersion when flying in winter.But there is no doubt that I'll end up switching completely to P3D :( perhaps as soon as the next update (1.3 ?) is out or with V2.0.One last advice to those who are about to try Prepar3d : apart from better performance and a few other changes, don't expect something radically different compared to vanilla FSX or ESP. And if you are not in a hurry, wait for the next update which should should make the whole process more user friendly.

Edited by Jean-Paul Mes

KInd regards

Jean-Paul

I7 8700K / Fractal Design Celsius S24 watercooling / ASRock Z370 Extreme4 motherboard / Corsair 32GB 3200mhz DDR4 / INNO3D iChiLL GeForce GTX 1080 Ti X3 / Samsung SSD 960 EVO M.2 PCIe NVMe 500GB / Seasonic-SSR-850FX power supply / Fractal Design Define R5 Black case / AOC Q3279VWF 32″ 2560x1440 monitor / Benq GL2450 24″ 1920x1080 monitor / Track-IR 4

Good points.....I am in no hurry so v2 will be when I jump on board.

Just tried P3D yesterday. Its FSX and not worth the $10 per mo. was a bit smoother is about all I noticed.

Are you guys all developers then? Because from what I read in the EULA that's what this $10/mo license covers and it specifically restricts it from being used for "personal/consumer entertainment". I'm baffled how the EULA can make such a direct restriction, in the very first bullet point by the way, and the craze continues to march on. Even 3rd party developers releasing consumer versions of their products to be used on a platform that restricts personal/consumer use. Clearly I just don't know how to spin a EULA.

- Aaron

Clearly I just don't know how to spin a EULA.
Then don't spin itLM seems happy to have us on board, otherwise, they would have pulled the plug by now. More and more developpers are moving their products towards P3D, either for free (i.e. Aerosoft) or for a small fee such as Orbx. They probably know what they are doing.So as I wrote in another topic : "enjoy the ride" Edited by Jean-Paul Mes

KInd regards

Jean-Paul

I7 8700K / Fractal Design Celsius S24 watercooling / ASRock Z370 Extreme4 motherboard / Corsair 32GB 3200mhz DDR4 / INNO3D iChiLL GeForce GTX 1080 Ti X3 / Samsung SSD 960 EVO M.2 PCIe NVMe 500GB / Seasonic-SSR-850FX power supply / Fractal Design Define R5 Black case / AOC Q3279VWF 32″ 2560x1440 monitor / Benq GL2450 24″ 1920x1080 monitor / Track-IR 4

Hi,Well, if the EULA has you concerned, design a small aircraft checklist and offer it for sale on sim market. Your product may be bad and/or no one may want to buy it, but hey your a developer.

Are you guys all developers then? Because from what I read in the EULA that's what this $10/mo license covers and it specifically restricts it from being used for "personal/consumer entertainment". I'm baffled how the EULA can make such a direct restriction, in the very first bullet point by the way, and the craze continues to march on. Even 3rd party developers releasing consumer versions of their products to be used on a platform that restricts personal/consumer use. Clearly I just don't know how to spin a EULA.
Edited by Mike_CFII_MEL

Former Beta Tester - (for a few companies) - As well as provide Regional Voice Set Recordings

Four-Intel I9/10900K | One-AMD-7950X3D | Three-Asus TUF 4090s | One-3090 | One-1080TI | Five-64GB DDR5 RAM 6000mhz | Five-Cosair 1300 P/S | Five-Pro900 2TB NVME        One-Eugenius ECS2512 / 2.5 GHz Switch | Five-Ice Giant Elite CPU Coolers | Three-75" 4K UHDTVs | One-24" 1080P Monitor | One-19" 1080P Monitor | One-Boeing 737NG Flight Deck

LM Say that you dont need to be a developer to join the developer network, check out the licence requirements when you go to buy the subscription. They want to encourage people to develop for P3D hence why they call it a developer licence.here is the text from the Prepar3d website.. Developer Network ProgramAnyone can join the Prepar3D® Developer Network Program. No matter if you are a seasoned developer, or just starting out, we want to encourage you to develop for Prepar3D.

Edited by Ayster

Hmm, I wonder, if you post and exchange ideas on the P3D forum does that not make you a developer? You are in effect beta testing the product are you not?Just wondering.

\Robert Hamlich/

OH PLEASE for crying out loud... Stop that EULA talk!!! It seems that every P3D topic gets infected and totally OT over the EULA... I'll start a EULA topic after typing this, now please get back OT!!! Thank you. :(

If it's fine and dandy to join when you aren't a developer, and LM is "happy to have us", then why not change the EULA? Why does it specifically restrict the use of the software for personal entertainment? It's exactly what all of you are using it for are you not?I have an MSDN subscription for my job and it allows me to install Microsoft software for testing/development purposes, but guess what would happen if I installed an MSDN version of SQL into my production domain and got audited? I'd be fined and probably lose my job. This is no different from using a development license for something other than what the EULA allows. Am I worried about the EULA? Of course I am, why aren't you? If anyone even utters the word pirate this whole place erupts in torches and pitchforks, but in the same breath we don't mind breaking a legally binding document on how software is allowed to be used? I've also seen people get overly excited about distributing freeware when an author explicitly prohibits it in the read me file. That breaks the EULA too, but is that now ok?What I'm trying to understand is why is breaking one EULA deeply concerning and wrong on some accounts, but breaking another perfectly ok? I have no beef with LM, or any of the developers adding support for it, but I don't get how they can do it without the support of the manufacturers license agreement.

- Aaron