Sign in to follow this  
cgbart

Any Radeon HD7970 Owners Yet?

kepler maybe delayed due to problems with the pcie 3.0 interface
That is what is likely going to happen. Lot's of rumors and speculation and very little word from Nvidia about Kepler at this point. Somewhat worrying IMO.

Yes, I have a few suggestions for some areas to be observe:1) Default FSX flight of the Trike. Can't think of what airport it is but you start the flight actually in flight, not on the runway. I would do it in Winter to check out the effect on all the autogen trees - shimmer? flicker? AA issues?Since there is a lot of water there it would be good to check out the water effects like moire effects and the like?2) I also find Las Vegas a good testing ground as it has a lot of custom skyscrapers (the hotels) there and you can see how AA, moire and the like are there? How's the airport and the strip at a distance? Can't think of the technical term but maybe it's all AA related as straight lines get broken up and lot's of "squiggles" happening (ah, a technical term!).3) Clouds use to be a big FPS killer but I am not sure about that anymore.So you can see for me it's more of how it ;looks over FPS, but of course we would still like to hear about that... your test settings, any before/after tweaks.Boy, all this talk has me itching to once again give my 6970 a try but maybe I will wait to hear back on your testing.Hope that helps,Clutch

Intel i9-12900KF, Asus Prime Z690-A MB, 64GB DDR5 6000 RAM, (3) SK hynix M.2 SSD (2TB ea.), 16TB Seagate HDD, EVGA GeForce 3080 Ti, Corsair iCUE H70i AIO Liquid Cooler, UHD/Blu-ray Player/Burner (still have lots of CDs, DVDs!)  Windows 10, (hold off for now on Win11),  EVGA 1300W PSU
Netgear 1Gbps modem & router, (3) 27" 1440 wrap-around displays
Full array of Saitek and GoFlight hardware for the cockpit

I'm receiving my HD7970 today. I will test FSX and make a video about the performance. Any suggestions for the testing? Like, addons?
Please considering doing the FSXMark11 test, following the instructions exactly so that we can get a real apples for apples comparison before and after you install the new card. That would be really helpful!http://forum.avsim.n...9116-fsxmark11/https://docs.google....=CMSSocoI#gid=0Kind regards,

Thanks for the suggestions, I'll take them into consideration. My current spects are CPU: AMD Phenom II X6 1100T 4.0 GHz, RAM 8 GB 1600MHz Corsair Vengeance, and today will get my HD7970. Testing will be performed at 1080p, so I'm a little skeptic about reaching awesome FPS as my CPU isn't too good. With my current Dual HD6850s in crossfire config, I'm more than happy with the results at 720p, and at 1080p it is also good except when I go to one of those big addon airports in an FPS killer like the 737NGX from PMDG.

Also I think even if you can't do a completely clean FSXMark11 run (as I wasn't due to the need for clean FSX install) in the meantime even a run that compares your existing 6850s to your new 7970 with the same FSX settings would be useful IMHO, to compare the two cards in the same FSX context, but a clean FSXMark11 would of course be better to compare the results to the other FSXMark11 results in the thread mentioned by Stephen.A clean FSXMark11 run is on my list of things to do next time I reinstall FSX+addons.

--John near KPAE

Yes, I have a few suggestions for some areas to be observe:1) Default FSX flight of the Trike. Can't think of what airport it is but you start the flight actually in flight, not on the runway. I would do it in Winter to check out the effect on all the autogen trees - shimmer? flicker? AA issues?Hope that helps,Clutch
Your thinking of Friday Harbor I believe.

Danny

Yep, that's it Friday Harbor.

Intel i9-12900KF, Asus Prime Z690-A MB, 64GB DDR5 6000 RAM, (3) SK hynix M.2 SSD (2TB ea.), 16TB Seagate HDD, EVGA GeForce 3080 Ti, Corsair iCUE H70i AIO Liquid Cooler, UHD/Blu-ray Player/Burner (still have lots of CDs, DVDs!)  Windows 10, (hold off for now on Win11),  EVGA 1300W PSU
Netgear 1Gbps modem & router, (3) 27" 1440 wrap-around displays
Full array of Saitek and GoFlight hardware for the cockpit

I started this post with impact on clouds and AA the primary concern, especially in FS9. I know that FSXMark11 will give us a good benchmark. The one thing that I've always wondered about was what other games that are benched on the popular hardware sites most closely resemble FS9 or FSX and the performance to expect when flying thru clouds with AA turned on?Getting excited here as 7950 are right around the corner and now nVidia is claiming Kepler will beat AMD's 79xx with it's eyes closed! This spring should see some great performance improvements from Ivy Bridge, PCIe 3 and the new GPUs.....I hope!

Hoping For CAVU --- Chris

I'm receiving my HD7970 today. I will test FSX and make a video about the performance. Any suggestions for the testing? Like, addons?
Although you should see a few FPS jump, the PCIe2 bottleneck is still in place.... :unsure:

I'll try that benchmark and make a video of it. I guess I'll have to use my camera since FRAPS takes a lot of FPS, so I'll have to use it only for the benchmark. But I will be making more FS videos, you can check some at my current youtube channel www.youtube.com/user/wilfredotour3 .

Guys, i want to apologize for the delay on the testing results I promised to show. I have not being able to do the testing because UPS has not yet delivered the graphics card which I was suposed to receive on friday. I believe I will get it by monday. Again, my apologies.

Guest jahman
Although you should see a few FPS jump, the PCIe2 bottleneck is still in place.... :unsure:
Not to worry! There was a post (can't seem to find it now) by Phil Taylor in his blog where he said nVidia's 384-bit wide memory bus gave it an advantage over (then) ATI's 256-bit wide memory bus. Well, AMD's 7950's and up now for the first time also sport a 384-bit wide memory bus! (that's a blustering 50% increase in bus BW right there...)Also from the 7750 and up all 7xxx cards are PCIe 3 ready, so all you need is an upgrade to an IB CPU and a BIOS upgrade for your MB (if PCIe 3 ready).Cheers,- jahman.

Yeah no worries on the delay Wilfred, we're patient, hope you get your card though I always hate when something like that gets delayed in shipping...

--John near KPAE