Sign in to follow this  
frankla

Most non enthusiast I know are interested in heavy iron

I am a GA pilot. However, all non enthusiast people that I know of are interested in large jet aircraft. To them flying a Cessna is slow, boring and dinky. Just go to commercial airports and see how many people are spotting the commercial jets getting excited at the roar of these jets. I still scratch my head at what MS was thinking when they decided to get average Joe interested in Flight with a Maul.

I am a GA pilot. However, all non enthusiast people that I know of are interested in large jet aircraft. To them flying a Cessna is slow, boring and dinky. Just go to commercial airports and see how many people are spotting the commercial jets getting excited at the roar of these jets. I still scratch my head at what MS was thinking when they decided to get average Joe interested in Flight with a Maul.
HelloThe Maul is like a sportscar compared to the Stearman, that one makes the big island feel like a subcontinent.

HelloThe Maul is like a sportscar compared to the Stearman, that one makes the big island feel like a subcontinent.
I agree, but many people would still think a Pilatus Turbo Prop is a puddle jumper. BTW..what are the speeds of those planes? Edited by frankla

I agree, but many people would still think a Pilatus Turbo Prop is a puddle jumper.
HelloMost young folk are interested in pointy things that go fast whether that is aircraft or cars.The problem for Flight! including something fast is that they would have hit the edge of the map shortly after take off.

BTW..what are the speeds of those planes?
HelloThe Stearman is faster @184mph, does not feel that way in Flight! though

Most non enthusiast people that I know are interested in military jets and want to shoot something down and/or large jet aircraft.

interested in Flight with a Maul.
Who's going to do the flying? Me, or Maul?darthmaul_big.jpg Edited by ahuimanu

Jeff Bea

I am an avid globetrotter with my trusty Lufthansa B777F, Polar Air Cargo B744F, and Atlas Air B748F.

Big Iron is too technical and demanding. VFR see runway do the pattern and land is far easier once you understand the basics.

Big Iron is too technical and demanding. VFR see runway do the pattern and land is far easier once you understand the basics.
Yes, that's true and we all know that but EVERYTIME a newbie has questions about flying in FS, the newbie has questions about flying an airliner and everytime the advice of veteran simmers is exactly what you say: start with the default Cessna and work your way up. We all know you should start with GA but everyone who is NEW to flight simming, wants to fly the big ones. It's a well known fact. And it doesn't matter if there is a fast GA. They want to fly the planes they fly in when they go on holiday and so on.

My impression as well. Everybody I know with a tad of interest in aviation is focused on big airliners or fighter jets. That is probably why the simplistic and uncomplex airliner addons are good sellers. Most people just want the pretty paints and become airborne in a flash. Simple doesn't have to be unrealistic though as most big aircraft are operated by a crew, not a single pilot. Older aircraft even had engineer and navigator spots as well.

Simmerhead - Making the virtual skies unsafe since 1987! 

Everybody I know with a tad of interest in aviation is focused on big airliners or fighter jets.
I reckon that's true. But there again, my introduction to aviation was via building propeller driven aircraft out of balsa wood and paper - powered by a rubber band. The livery was done with a kind of paint called dope which smelled like nail varnish. It gave me hours of pleasure as a young boy. Flying was done in spot view and never lasted very long. Great fun though and it has left me with a penchant for GA flying.

Big Iron is too technical and demanding
HelloBut I prefer technical and demanding, if something is too easy it is not worth doing.

Nah... Just let the autopilot do the flying. Easy as a breeze.

Simmerhead - Making the virtual skies unsafe since 1987! 

Sign in to follow this  
  • Tom Allensworth,
    Founder of AVSIM Online

• Flight Simulation's Premier Resource!

AVSIM is a free service to the flight simulation community. AVSIM is staffed completely by volunteers and all funds donated to AVSIM go directly back to supporting the community. Your donation here helps to pay our bandwidth costs, emergency funding, and other general costs that crop up from time to time. Thank you for your support!

Click here for more information and to see all donations year to date.