Sign in to follow this  
Straypuft

Seems like MS wants to force us into DLC

There could be little chance of seeing airliners released this year for Flight, but this also raises another question, could this mean the end of flying aircraft for our favorite airlines? Could the DLC system be clamped down as to not let us repaint aircraft into our favorite liveries?Even if they do give us airliners, we might only see ones currently in production, so this could mean no classic airliners

-Raymond W

PC Specs: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X - ASUS B550M-K - 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200Mhz - MSI 3070 TI Gaming X Trio

First off with such limited areas simulated in Flight why even worry about airliners?Second I don't see how Flight or the DLC can affect flying my favorite airliners in FS9 or someone using FSX.Third you can forget about real world liveries in Flight as theirs a different copywrite structure Microsoft has to abide by being a Fortune 500 company versus freeware efforts. Your not going to get mass selling of the American Airlines livery in the DLC. That would cost Microsoft a fortune so in hindsight you better be glade Flight is a GA effort. Nothing is going to be realistic as far as liveries are concerned and theirs no 3PD that can add to it. The Icon has a realistic livery because the manufacture is supporting it. That's how it will have to be done and real world airliners/flight schedules is out of the question. If they did offer AI traffic at some point you'd have airliners like 'TinkerBell International' to flying from places like Hilo and Lihue.

Edited by Dillon

FS2020 

Alienware Aurora R11 10th Gen Intel Core i7 10700F - Windows 11 Home 32GB Ram
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4060 Ti 16GB DLSS 3 - HP Reverb G2

There could be little chance of seeing airliners released this year for Flight, but this also raises another question, could this mean the end of flying aircraft for our favorite airlines? Could the DLC system be clamped down as to not let us repaint aircraft into our favorite liveries?Even if they do give us airliners, we might only see ones currently in production, so this could mean no classic airliners
HelloI have it on good authority that this is next up after the Mustang, no word on a paint kit though

Could the DLC system be clamped down as to not let us repaint aircraft into our favorite liveries?
The days of doing your own repaints are over with Flight, along with any other sort of mods you are used to being able to do at will. Edited by N2056

Second I don't see how Flight or the DLC can affect flying my favorite airliners in FS9 or someone using FSX.
Hello DillonDid you see what you just said ?None of us are losing anything hereI really don't know how this is going to turn out in the long run, if you remember back to when FSX was released and the subsequent disappointment with the performance, the cry went up that we needed a complete re-write with no backwards compatabilty?Well we have got that now like it or not.But the upside is that it has been stripped back to the basics, as far as the core of Flight! is concerned, for the serious simmer at the moment you can take off, fly around and land, but the way the new architecture has been put together means this thing is totally modular, it will be driven in whatever way the DLC proves most profitable for MS.For us this is an opportunity to use our involvement (dollars spent ) to make this platform a true successor to FS9 and FSX.If we stay away then the Xbox controller guys buying the mustang on day 1 will get to dictate where this platform goes. Edited by mad dog

Very well put mad dog !The more that us serious simmers support Flight, the more serious Flight might become.It's a 2 way street !!Fred.

Xbox controller guys buying the mustang on day 1 will get to dictate where this platform goes.
Is there anything to verify that that this is not what MS is hoping for?

the cry went up that we needed a complete re-write with no backwards compatabilty?Well we have got that now like it or not.
Flight in no way looks like a complete rewrite. It looks like a gutted FSX with a hack on Orbix who was consulted early on and then given the boot.
Very well put mad dog !The more that us serious simmers support Flight, the more serious Flight might become.It's a 2 way street !!Fred.
Very wishful thinking, very wishful thinking indeed with nothing to back it up.
Nope... Edited by Dillon

FS2020 

Alienware Aurora R11 10th Gen Intel Core i7 10700F - Windows 11 Home 32GB Ram
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4060 Ti 16GB DLSS 3 - HP Reverb G2

What MS is hoping for is to sell a crap load of product. If they sell a crap load of cockpitless P-51's, you bet your azz they will add more aircraft just like that. If they sell more Maule's with a full cockpit, then the direction of the sim will turn more serious. If the serious simmer ignores Flight, then Flight will ignore them.

Kevin Miller

3D Artist and developer

I agree Kevin. Whether some people like it or not, we could help steer Flight into a direction we want it to go. They will know by looking at the data, how many people are doing missions or just doing the ring games or who are into freeflight and in multiplayer. They will see how many will download the basic P51 and if the Maule and RV are as good as some people seem to be posting about it here, then us "simmers" will be flying around in those more and as they cost more to purchase as DLC then more of that kind of DLC will be produced as its more money for MS but also keeps us all happy. Will be interesting to see on Feb29th who the 3rd pary developers are, if any, who will be producing for Flight. Craig

If DLC dictates what MS will sell in the future, then i can see them going the P-51 route with less features, I feel that the average gamer does not even know what a Maule is and go for the more well known P-51 Mustang. heck, before FSX came along, i didnt know what Maule was.

-Raymond W

PC Specs: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X - ASUS B550M-K - 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200Mhz - MSI 3070 TI Gaming X Trio

There could be little chance of seeing airliners released this year for Flight,
I think that you will be surprised by what the MS dev team is capable of. :(

another thought occurs to me if and when MS gives us an airliner, it could cost $30+ for it with limited features

-Raymond W

another thought occurs to me if and when MS gives us an airliner, it could cost $30+ for it with limited features
MS has the resources and the capability to do whatever they want with Flight. They can make an NGX realistic aircraft if they desire.

Hello DillonDid you see what you just said ?None of us are losing anything hereI really don't know how this is going to turn out in the long run, if you remember back to when FSX was released and the subsequent disappointment with the performance, the cry went up that we needed a complete re-write with no backwards compatabilty?Well we have got that now like it or not.But the upside is that it has been stripped back to the basics, as far as the core of Flight! is concerned, for the serious simmer at the moment you can take off, fly around and land, but the way the new architecture has been put together means this thing is totally modular, it will be driven in whatever way the DLC proves most profitable for MS.For us this is an opportunity to use our involvement (dollars spent ) to make this platform a true successor to FS9 and FSX.If we stay away then the Xbox controller guys buying the mustang on day 1 will get to dictate where this platform goes.
+1Very well put mad dog !The more that us serious simmers support Flight, the more serious Flight might become.It's a 2 way street !!Fred.+1If anyone who has the beta looks around the terminal at hilo and also takes the time to look at the few internals of Flight Beta there is evidence in there that biger aircraft are in the way . Why put a gate on the terminal if you are only going to work on GA???????? that itself answers alot of questions .and as far as helping steer flight in our way , i think from day one in the beta forums there was a fair amount of seriuos flight simmers in there (a side from the negative ones )enough to let MS know from the getgo that we are the main customers interested in FLIGHT ..... like i had mention before there is enough feedback for MS to keep us as the number one group of customers . its all up to MS to keep it this way in the future . Edited by rtodepart

Image removed as image is no longer available.

Sign in to follow this  
  • Tom Allensworth,
    Founder of AVSIM Online

• Flight Simulation's Premier Resource!

AVSIM is a free service to the flight simulation community. AVSIM is staffed completely by volunteers and all funds donated to AVSIM go directly back to supporting the community. Your donation here helps to pay our bandwidth costs, emergency funding, and other general costs that crop up from time to time. Thank you for your support!

Click here for more information and to see all donations year to date.