Sign in to follow this  
ArjenVdv

Mininum RAM size for NGX?

I'm running FSX on 6GB of OCZ Reaper RAM. CL7 at 1600MHZ (original factory specs). I ordered that particular RAM when I built the system with FSX in mind. I wanted to add more of the same, but it appears that OCZ is not making those particular RAM modules anymore. They are fast, but sensitive to overclocking higher than the 1600MHZ speed. That's just been my experience with an ASUS X58 Sabretooth motherboard. Someone else might have had better luck with the same modules. The memory timings were close to what was mentioned above.I get very little, if any, stutter (unless I'm using FRAPS for a video). Good luck with your RAM search.

FINALLY, finally, found a 8GB 1600/CL7 kit that is still in stock. However, before I'm gonna make my decisions to early, and perhaps regret them later on, just need some info from you guys. This is the set:Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2x4GB) 1600 MHz CL7 Kit. It's got timings of 7-8-8-24. My preferences go to 7-8-7-24, but these are no longer stock except for 4GB or lower clockspeeds. However, I do not know enough about latency to tell what's faster, 7-8-7-24 or 7-8-8-24? Only the 3rd number is just a little bit slower, however I dunno which of the numbers is the most important. I think that the first number (7), is the most important, but I'm not sure. Need some explications on this please. :)

Well, first of all you have another graphics card then mine. GTX 580 gives a little bit less stuttering also. Secondly, we all have different opinions, for example what I call stuttering, perhaps you'll call it silky smooth...I don't know what latency your RAM is btw.Here's a video from Word Not Allowed, it's a very similar effect that I'm seeing://
That´s microstutter!I don´t have that any of that at all. My memory is 7-8-9-24 for 1600Mhz btw./ Leffe

That´s microstutter!I don´t have that any of that at all. My memory is 7-8-9-24 for 1600Mhz btw./ Leffe
And you know why you have that? Because of you CL7 RAM, Word Not Allowed has got a very similar system to yours except for RAM, he has got CL9 RAM. He's having microstutters and you don't (same for me btw). Altough he has great framerates.I'm also having these microstutters no matter which tweaks I use (FSX.cfg, Inspector, fps limiter at 30/40/50 or whatever). And I also have CL9 RAM. The only explination for you not having these, is because of your CL7 RAM, the rest is pretty similar to mine and Word Not Allowed's system. As I said, people have tested and got less stuttering with CL7 RAM which they got with CL9. I'm gonna order my Corsair 8GB 1600 CL7 (7-8-8-24). One question though, what's faster: 7-8-8-24 or 7-9-8-24???

Ken, thanks,. Checked it out, looks like very good RAM. Checked it out at G.Skill website and it says that it was designed for the Intel P55 chipset? Could this give me any problems on my Z68 mobo (you're running P67 or Z68 to I see, but just asking). I see the voltage is quite low, 1.35V. But as you said it needs some more to run stable. But, does voltage have anything to do with performance of the memory? For example 1.65V is faster then 1.35V or doesn't this matter at all?
That must be a typo on their site because it's made for sb (my mb is a z68 deluxe).Memory voltage can be treated like vcore in a way. Sometimes you just have to bump it up a tiny bit to keep things stable. As for the rest of the discussion on how much difference (if any) lower latency makes, I'm just trying to offer some parts info & not commenting on the performance side. I can say mine doesn't stutter but I've no idea if it's due to the memory. Edited by MrKen

The difference between CL- 7- 8- 7- 24 & 7- 8- 8- 24 or 7- 8- 9- 24 is so minute it is insignificant. Unless you are "benching".Get a kit of 1600/CL8/CL9 4gbsx2 and be done with it. I use Gskills Ripjaws X and they work flawlessly with FSX and PMDG. (No micro stutters)

I know of no reason CL is going cause stutters unless you're setting the timings grossly wrong. As long as the timings set in your BIOS match what is on the RAM, you should be fine and I seriously doubt your stutters are RAM related. CL9 is a standard DDR3 timing, it's not going to cause stutters - we're talking differences of literally nanoseconds here between CL7 and CL9. Faster than the time between FSX frames by huge orders of magnitude. I have CL9 RAM myself and do not get stutters. I also have only 4GB for the record too. (next system will have more though)

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

For fastest support, please submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com

And you know why you have that? Because of you CL7 RAM, Word Not Allowed has got a very similar system to yours except for RAM, he has got CL9 RAM. He's having microstutters and you don't (same for me btw). Altough he has great framerates.I'm also having these microstutters no matter which tweaks I use (FSX.cfg, Inspector, fps limiter at 30/40/50 or whatever). And I also have CL9 RAM. The only explination for you not having these, is because of your CL7 RAM, the rest is pretty similar to mine and Word Not Allowed's system. As I said, people have tested and got less stuttering with CL7 RAM which they got with CL9. I'm gonna order my Corsair 8GB 1600 CL7 (7-8-8-24). One question though, what's faster: 7-8-8-24 or 7-9-8-24???
My Ram is original CL9 (9-9-9-24) but I run those in XMP whenI have my Sandy Bridge OC.XMP gives 1600Mhz and 7-8-9-24Still don´t think it´s because of your Ram. Must be something elsein your configuration./ Leffe Edited by Leffe

i always thought any more than 4g is a waste since fsx can only handle up to 4g anyway that what i thought, anymore i suppose can be taken up with other window resources

I7-800k,Corsair h1101 cooler ,Asus Strix Gaming Intel Z370 S11 motherboard, Corsair 32gb ramDD4,    2  ssd 500gb 970 drive, gtx 1080ti Card,  RM850 power supply

Peter kelberg

i always thought any more than 4g is a waste since fsx can only handle up to 4g anyway that what i thought, anymore i suppose can be taken up with other window resources
Peter,I guess everything between 4 to 6 GB of Ram would be sufficient enough for FSX.But I know Ryan are into other games and perhaps also use the comp for somevideo editing or multitasking perhaps.I have 16GB though, but I´m interested in and are a fan of Photography and use Photoshop a lot,when scanning images, using Hasselblad camera and still with old fashion films.So therefore I choosed to have more than 4 GB of memory in my set up./ Leffe Edited by Leffe

Jude Bradley
Beech Baron: Uh, Tower, verify you want me to taxi in front of the 747?
ATC: Yeah, it's OK. He's not hungry.

X-Plane 11 X-Plane 12 and MSFS2020  🙂

System specs: Windows 11  Pro 64-bit, Ubuntu Linux 20.04 i9-9900KF  Gigabyte Z390 RTX-3070-Ti , 32GB RAM  1X 2TB M2 for X-Plane 12,  1x256GB SSD for OS. 1TB drive MSFS2020

Peter,I guess everything between 4 to 6 GB of Ram would be sufficient enough for FSX.But I know Ryan are into other games and perhaps also use the comp for somevideo editing or multitasking perhaps.I have 16GB though, but I´m interested in and are a fan of Photography and use Photoshop a lot,when scanning images, using Hasselblad camera and still with old fashion films.So therefore I choosed to have more than 4 GB of memory in my set up./ Leffe
yea i agree with you there but i was only refering to if you only using fsx it only uses up to 4gb think by memory only 3.5 the other .5 goes to window resouces.The same fsx is on a 32 bit system so if you got a 64 bit sysstem it helps as well.

I7-800k,Corsair h1101 cooler ,Asus Strix Gaming Intel Z370 S11 motherboard, Corsair 32gb ramDD4,    2  ssd 500gb 970 drive, gtx 1080ti Card,  RM850 power supply

Peter kelberg

But I was wondering if 4GB would be enough for the NGX, because it's a really heavy add-on. Anyone else using 4GB's and are you having any Out Of Memory errors (OOMs)?
I use 4GB in Vista 64 and have never had an OOM using the NGX, even in high quality scenery. I guess that means 4GB qualifies as a possible minimum size ram for the NGX.

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

I'm using 4 GB on XP32, and no problems as long as I don't get carried away with scenery.Being as I seem to be on the borderline, I don't see running too well on less than 4GB.I can crash mine if I crank everything to the right, and fly around dense scenery for a while.But if I run medium, no problems at all. My video is 768 MB, or thereabouts..Being I'm on XP32, I don't think it would help me to add more ram. I'd need to go to a64 bit OS, and then add more ram.