Sign in to follow this  
Robert McDonald

Rogue behavior of 737NGX - refused to respond to HDG instructions

Flying a DeltaVA online event tonight from KMSP to KHDN, I had no issues or problems with the following running:Linda 1.6FSUIPC 4.7x (latest)REX 2.0 HD realtime weatherVatsimDeltaVA ACARSFlight Sim Commander 9 displaying flight position on realtime mapUNTIL I got close to landing, and ATC started asking me to fly headings. Suddenly, for some unknown reason, I noted the aircraft would not turn to new HDGs I loaded on the MCP whilst CMD A -or- CMD B were lit! I had to hand-fly the airplane. In addition, it missed the GLS and the throttles wouldn't slow the plane down upon landing and I had to execute a missed approach. On the second try, the plane DID catch the GLS and I was able to land ILS.I noted as well that at a certain point during the 600+ nm flight, the altitudes for the waypoints suddenly disappeared and VNAV suddenly became inoperative. I had to load 3 fixes into the FMC and then reenter the ROUTE into the FMC and rerun the Takeoff configuration and then the VNAV became operational.I seem to rememember some "issues" with 3rd party weather, wondering if FS Commander 9 and REX are "at war" somehow and causing unexpected results. Also, I keep having to restart FSX following updates to FSDreamteams GSX (Ground Services X) which is a MAJOR irritant.If anyone has any suggestions on these concerns, I'm all ears, thanks in advance.

R. Scott McDonald  B738/L   Information is anecdotal only-without guarantee & user assumes all risks of use thereof.                                               

RQbrZCm.jpg

KqRTzMZ.jpg

Click here for my YouTube channel

Did you happen to have APP mode selected while trying to change heading? If APP is selected it will inhibit any heading/level changes unless you disengage the autopilot.

Did you happen to have APP mode selected while trying to change heading? If APP is selected it will inhibit any heading/level changes unless you disengage the autopilot.
I am aware of that issue - but this was well before I was anywhere near the runway, and also following the missed approach (the APP light had gone out), the plane would not fly the HDG dialed into the MCP even though CMD-A was engaged.Thank you for your suggestion, though :(

R. Scott McDonald  B738/L   Information is anecdotal only-without guarantee & user assumes all risks of use thereof.                                               

RQbrZCm.jpg

KqRTzMZ.jpg

Flying a DeltaVA online event tonight from KMSP to KHDN, I had no issues or problems with the following running:Linda 1.6FSUIPC 4.7x (latest)REX 2.0 HD realtime weatherVatsimDeltaVA ACARSFlight Sim Commander 9 displaying flight position on realtime mapUNTIL I got close to landing, and ATC started asking me to fly headings. Suddenly, for some unknown reason, I noted the aircraft would not turn to new HDGs I loaded on the MCP whilst CMD A -or- CMD B were lit! I had to hand-fly the airplane. In addition, it missed the GLS and the throttles wouldn't slow the plane down upon landing and I had to execute a missed approach. On the second try, the plane DID catch the GLS and I was able to land ILS.I noted as well that at a certain point during the 600+ nm flight, the altitudes for the waypoints suddenly disappeared and VNAV suddenly became inoperative. I had to load 3 fixes into the FMC and then reenter the ROUTE into the FMC and rerun the Takeoff configuration and then the VNAV became operational.I seem to rememember some "issues" with 3rd party weather, wondering if FS Commander 9 and REX are "at war" somehow and causing unexpected results. Also, I keep having to restart FSX following updates to FSDreamteams GSX (Ground Services X) which is a MAJOR irritant.If anyone has any suggestions on these concerns, I'm all ears, thanks in advance.
This sounds liike you may have missed a discontinuity in your legs page and when of course the aircraft came to that discontinuity the FMC see's it as the end of the flightplan and so the aircraft will carry on its merry way with the last heading and alt set on the MCP. This very same thing happened to me last night as I did a flight from EGGD TO EGPF and obviously not concentrating on my FMC setup missed a discontinuity.I shouoldn't imagine that FS Commander and REX have an issue but certainly if you have to restart FSX each time your ground services updates that is going to be a bummer, one thing I am not sure about though is does the grd service application update during flight or just updates when a patch is released. If its the former then youhave answered your own question and Iw ould visit their support forum to see what answers you can glean there.FS Commander 9 is very dated and now no longer supported, why not have a look at www.aivlasoft.com and their rather excellent award winning EFB.Wycliffe

You need to watch your FMA to find out what the problem was. The MCP buttons are a wish list, not the current mode.

Matt Cee

You need to push HDG SEL as well to go to the MCP set heading. Also, like matt said, the lights on the MCP don't say anything. Look on your PFD for the active AP modes.

FS Commander 9 is very dated and now no longer supported
News to me Wycliffe. Volker was posting on the FSC support forum yesterday and is continuing support after Sascha's untimely passing. It's only a year since they updated it too!

Bill Casey

wpigeon.jpg

News to me Wycliffe. Volker was posting on the FSC support forum yesterday and is continuing support after Sascha's untimely passing. It's only a year since they updated it too!
What? When did this happen?? Send me a pm if you feel it inappropriate for the forum

What? When did this happen?? Send me a pm if you feel it inappropriate for the forum
See PM in a minute.

Bill Casey

wpigeon.jpg

i have seen this behavior before the Service Pack . I think there was a topic about it in the Hotfix time array before SP1 released./Michael Moe

Michael Moe

fs2crew_747_banner1.png

Banner_FS2Crew_Emergency.png

Well, I loaded up the demo for Electronic Flight Bag (EFB) and it blew me away. Is it 100% 'perfect' compared with FSC 9? Each has some great selling points, yet I find EFB to be INSTANTLY compelling, if for no other reason that on the ground vectors to runways in a clear easy to zoom in/out map that in my personal and biased view, "fits me" better than the FSC9 variant.FSC9 can export flight plans to Squawkbox directly, which unless I am confused, I don't think EFB can... yet EFB's in progress map, the way it instantly switches to ground view of the airport once you activate the flight plan... and bonus, it even gives you 'favored runways' based on prevailing winds... YES, FSC9 can show weather and YES, you can interpret the wind arrows and select a runway heading into the wind... but EFB in two words, is "more elegant" (you may translate this to "more intuitive" or "easier use").I want to thank the person here on AVSIM who pointed me towards EFB today. I am forever indebted, I regard EFB as very much an essential piece of simming software, even though it is pricey.

You need to push HDG SEL as well to go to the MCP set heading. Also, like matt said, the lights on the MCP don't say anything. Look on your PFD for the active AP modes.
Thanks to all who responded. I decided this was a glitch caused by starting FSX, shutting it down, then restarting it again. Known issue (AFAIK) with the PMDG 737NGX from time to time...at least that's what I'm telling myself.

RQbrZCm.jpg

KqRTzMZ.jpg