Sign in to follow this  
Robinnn

Bought a new PC, questions about overclocking

Hey guys,Just a few days left until I receive my new computer.*Motherboard: Asus P8P67 (B3)*Processor: Intel Core i7-2500K 3,4Ghz*Cooling the processor with: BeQuiet! Dark Rock Advanced C1*Harddisk: Western Digital, 2TB, 3.5", SATA 600*Memory: Kingston Hyper X, 8GB, PC3-12800 (DDR3-1600)*PowerSupply: CoolerMaster Silent Pro, 700W*Nvidia GTX 560Good for FSX I hope!No I am searching the whole internet about overclocking, and I found this.Is it really as easy as in the video?@ 5:20

He sais it goes up to 4,5Ghz, which is more then enough for me.Does somebody have a clear tutorial how best to overclock the processor?Regards, Edited by Robinnn

Good system . Mine is 2700k, overclocked by TPU (Asus P8P67 Pro rev 3)) to 4,3 GH, 8 GB Patriot memory 1600 XMP and Gigabyte GTX580 ; The performance in FSX+NGX is amazing. Couldn´t be happier.BTW, which graphics card will be your choice?Best.Miquel Egea.

Good system . Mine is 2700k, overclocked by TPU (Asus P8P67 Pro rev 3)) to 4,3 GH, 8 GB Patriot memory 1600 XMP and Gigabyte GTX580 ; The performance in FSX+NGX is amazing. Couldn´t be happier.BTW, which graphics card will be your choice?Best.Miquel Egea.
Great!I forgot to put the videocard in the post, I edited it.I'm really looking forward to a smooooth landing with the Ngx!

How do I know how much volt I have to use for the CPU if I want to overclock it to ~4,5Ghz?

I bought a preoverclocked package fromwww.overclockers.co.ukit is a I7 2.6 overclocked to 4.2.you have install everything yourself.and once you boot up the bios is already set to your overclock speed.they send you a motherboard,CPU,Cpu cooler and memory.all preconfigured..you will need to be able to build your computer of course.something i've always done.but if you can do that.the hard work is already done. steve-0

Yep, read the Tech Reaction guide.There is no set voltage etc (though I would not personally go much above 1.4v) - you want the lowest voltage you can get away with at the speed you're running while still being stable. Minimizes heat and maximizes the life of the CPU.

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

For fastest support, please submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com

If you want something a little more specific to that main board.. heres what I used, has a pretty good explanation of everything. http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1578110

Tom Moretti

Intel i7-7700k @ 4.8 Ghz - MSI Z270 Gaming M5 - 16GB DDR4-3200 Gskill - Nvidia GTX1080 - Corsair H100i V2 - 500GB Samsung 960 EVO m.2 - Windows 10 Pro 64 bit

Sandy Bridge could handle up to 1.52V according to intel, but I'd take 1.43-1.44 as the maximum. I doubt you'll be needing even 1.4 for anything below 4.6 Ghz though...

Just some advice - run it at standard for about a week, that will let all the components settle in. After that overclock keeping it stable.

Sandy Bridge could handle up to 1.52V according to intel, but I'd take 1.43-1.44 as the maximum. I doubt you'll be needing even 1.4 for anything below 4.6 Ghz though...
This topic has been beaten to death. Intel never said 1.52V is OK. They published a 1.52V figure for the max VID, and some people are taking that as a maximum safe voltage, which is completely wrong.Nobody knows for sure what the absolute maximum is and 1.52V is a lot. May be OK, may not, but there is nothing from Intel backing up the 1.52V theory

I went back to the store where I bought the computer because I wasn't happy with the cooling.I got a new one: Corsair H60!This is running stable now. About 64c is the max during FSX and BF3.knipselk.png

This topic has been beaten to death. Intel never said 1.52V is OK. They published a 1.52V figure for the max VID, and some people are taking that as a maximum safe voltage, which is completely wrong.Nobody knows for sure what the absolute maximum is and 1.52V is a lot. May be OK, may not, but there is nothing from Intel backing up the 1.52V theory
Reread my post... I never said it was OK to go up to 1.52V, I just said that Sandy Bridge can handle 1.52V. I never said it's a safe voltage, it's just the maximum Sandy Bridge can handle according to Intel.Just because your car is capable of doing 150mph, does't mean you should drive around town doing 150mph.I currently run 1.42V @ 4.8 GHz (HT on) and I don't have any problems so far. Once Ivy comes out, I'll have a look at just how far I can take my 2600k.

Reread my post... I never said it was OK to go up to 1.52V, I just said that Sandy Bridge can handle 1.52V. I never said it's a safe voltage, it's just the maximum Sandy Bridge can handle according to Intel.Just because your car is capable of doing 150mph, does't mean you should drive around town doing 150mph.I currently run 1.42V @ 4.8 GHz (HT on) and I don't have any problems so far. Once Ivy comes out, I'll have a look at just how far I can take my 2600k.
No, not according to Intel. That's all I'm saying.If someone posts "Intel said 1.52V is the maximum according to Intel" people are going to think it's ok to run 1.52V because it comes from Intel themselves when it's not true at all.Not trying to argue with you Thomas, just saying. I know there's plenty of guys running Vcore in excess of 1.5V for more than a year now with no issues. All I'm saying is VID is not maximum Vcore. Two entirely different things