Sign in to follow this  
XCLTM3

My time in a Level C 738 Simulator (Full Motion) 2 Days Ago

Well fellow NGXers....I opted to remain quiet about this prior to embarking on this adventure (in terms of forum announcement) just in case I crashed and burned during the sim experience, and then I'd have to openly admit to all at the forum I was an embarrassment.The good news is simply this.....I managed to handle the bird quite well for my 1st time in a 738 Level C Full 6-DOF simulator. A whole 3 and a half hours! And boy,does time go FAST!Now for the meat & potatoes.Background: I am not an aviator, just an aviation enthusiast. I've been flying the NGX since August last year (ie 2011). I've taken the time to read as much of the documentation PMDG has provided, in addition to tutorials and the excellent information often provided by "YOU" my fellow NGXers in our forum. So after flying this bird ala desktop for months, doing research and paying attention to the big and small things, the time had come to put some of that experience to the "test".Firstly, thanks to Robert and the entire team at PMDG. As soon as I entered the simulator I instantly recognized everything. What this says is, that the representation of the NGX per PMDG is pretty much what you get in the actual Flight Deck. This meant, that I would not become overwhelmed like most non-aviators who would enter a sim like this for the first time and be "dumbstruck" by all the displays, instruments, knobs, switches etc. If I get a chance to upload some screenshots, I will do so soon.Some of my accomplishments during this recent Full-Motion Flight Sim experience:

• I managed a "Cold & Dark" with relative ease. (APU)
  • Got to use the Tiller and Taxi around (with rudder inputs occassionally) to the active.
  • Knew how to set-up the CDU/FMC for all parts of the flights.
  • Knew how to set-up and use the MCP for all parts of the flight.
  • Knew how to set-up EFIS and adjust where required.
  • Knew how to read/interpret the PFD, ND, and all other diplays.
  • Knew how to handle/adjust the radios, VORS, NDB's, etc.
  • Knew the whens, wheres, hows of the Lights (ie Taxi, T/O, Landing, etc)
  • Knew the Overhead Panel and the whens, where's, hows etc.
  • Got to hand-fly some sectors. As I initially thought, the most difficult thing in relation to the entire experience was acclimatising to the control column and rudder pedals. Boy, it took a bit of time to get a "feel" for the amount of input you need to apply in order to get the response you're requiring. But that's the fun of it.
  • Flew some circuits (as much hand flying as I could take!?)
  • Flew YSSY to YSCB.
  • Flew KSAN to KLAX.

I would recommend to any of you out there, that if you ever have the opportunity to get in a 738 full motion sim, DO IT!A huge thank you to Emery & Andrew at VS Jet at Katoomba (90 mins West of Sydney). These guys are consummate professionals and the rates they are charging are ridiculously low compared to another company (who shall remain nameless) for a NON-motion simulator. The VS Jet sim uses FSX environment with REX for the external visuals. The graphics are good enough to provide a resonable dose of immersiveness. Whilst the 6 DOF really give you all the physical sensations of thrust, drag, banking, yaw, climbing, descending, braking etc.This is the link to VS Jet for any Aussie (or tourist to Sydney) who is interested. http://vsjet.com.au/I'm hoping to get back there in the coming months for another session where this time I'll do some night flying and follow protocols more closely.So fellow NGXers, if you've ever wondered about HOW realistic PMDG's NGX actually is, wonder no more. It assisted me to no end. Without the PMDG NGX, I would have been a "dumbstruck" wanna-be flyer. Of course, in terms of flight characteristics, flight modelling it is a hard one to judge. I'm flying a desktop PC with a Joystick. When compared to a real control column and rudders, well, you see what I'm getting at. But, knowing where everything is and what everthing does and how you can interact with it, is absolutely priceless. This familiarization is what really enhanced my experience in addition to the acclimitisation to real control columns/rudder pedals and the realistic motion were the icing on the cake.Rgds,

i7 8770K @ 4.7Ghz + Corsair H100i GTX  Water Cooler - 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000Mhz - NVidia RTX 2070 XC 8Gb - ACER X34 Predator IPS GSYNC 3440x1440 Monitor - ASUS ROG STRIX Z370H - 2 x Samsung SSD Pro 512Gb  - 1 x Samsung EVO 1Tb - Win 10 Pro 64  21H2 - MSFS

"All in, all the time"

Steve Summers

Thanks for sharing XCLTM3 really enjoyed it, it shows how far we arm chair pilots have come.
You're absolutely welcome. How far we have come is indeed appropriate.Rgds,

i7 8770K @ 4.7Ghz + Corsair H100i GTX  Water Cooler - 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000Mhz - NVidia RTX 2070 XC 8Gb - ACER X34 Predator IPS GSYNC 3440x1440 Monitor - ASUS ROG STRIX Z370H - 2 x Samsung SSD Pro 512Gb  - 1 x Samsung EVO 1Tb - Win 10 Pro 64  21H2 - MSFS

"All in, all the time"

Steve Summers

Sounds like you had a really amazing time! :D Thanks for Sharing. Its so good that PMDG have got everything perfect with the NGX.

where can I find a simulator like that in miami ?
There's a Sydney in Florida if I remember correctly? Just kidding!I'm sure if you research there will have to be a sim within reasonable proximity to you.Rgds,

"All in, all the time"

Steve Summers

Sounds like you had a really amazing time! :D Thanks for Sharing. Its so good that PMDG have got everything perfect with the NGX.
You bet Andy! If you're going to do anything at all, try flying a full motion sim (like the 738).......you'll always remember it.Rgds,

"All in, all the time"

Steve Summers

Nice story! Thanks for sharing it. Now it looks like someone needs to get rid of their joystick for a good yoke and pedals :(

Nice story! Thanks for sharing it. Now it looks like someone needs to get rid of their joystick for a good yoke and pedals :(
Ah yes Robert, you read my mind......Yoke and Pedals!Rgds,

"All in, all the time"

Steve Summers

I've been at the Miami School about 6 times already. I can't wait for the 777 to come out so I can do another trip there.

Paul Gugliotta

I've been at the Miami School about 6 times already. I can't wait for the 777 to come out so I can do another trip there.
I hear you Paul. There is a Level D 777 Sim about 30 mins from my place but it's closed to the public, only official Airline Staff (Pilots) permitted. Damn!Rgds,

"All in, all the time"

Steve Summers

You wouldn't think a level-d C-130J sim would be open to public either....it's all about who you know. :(

Chris Hicks

Thanks for sharing this experience !I'll have my first sim hour in Paris in a view weeks, and I'm sure it will be ultimate !