Sign in to follow this  
NoahBryant

DLC and third party prices - a poll

DLC Prices  

118 members have voted

1. 1. If Microsoft allowed third party developers to supply content, but charged 30% more, would you still pay for it?

Hang out at some sites where members are pledging undying loyalty (and an accompanying fierce opposition to Flight!) and it seems quite emotion driven.
Yeah, they are upset with Microsoft for selling them down the river (as they see it) but their feelings for any FSX developers in the main do not extend beyond said developers providing them with products that they want at the right quality and the right price.For what it's worth I think Microsoft did sell FSX users short, and that is why a lot of people are upset that they see Flight given all the love and attention (understandably it's new of course) but FSX left in a condition where it should not have been left in my opinion.I could go on but I won't, but fair to say if Microsoft want me to invest any money in Flight they will need to impress a great deal more than they are doing at the moment but even then I somehow doubt that I wished to be "nickeled and dimed" for every thing that I can do in FSX and I might add in far greater detail than Flight offers.Bryan.

I think it will all depend on total money spend during first year or so. MS needs to prove 3PD that it's good idea to jump in with the terms they are giving. More money there is bigger cut MS can take (and set other conditions too). Speed of the process will depend on sales volume development over time (with big sales volume that keeps increasing it would be quick and easy...).Buyers would mostly benefit from 3PD competing against each other and MS wouldn't mind 3PD competing because they would get their cut anyway (and market size would stay same or increase). However, for 3PD competition is the big unknown with complex products, especially if the market gets big enough to attract new developers (who might have revolutionary ideas/methods/tools/...). I think the smart devs act more hesitant than they are to get better negotiation position :-)

The nice thing about Flight is it's controlled,everyone basically has the same scenery, planes.Quality expectations, installation ease and costs are reasonable.FSX is the wild west, and it's great that way for some, but I think keeping both with separate models is best.A Flight reinstall is simple, getting decent performance is simple, that is good for some of us.FSX reinstall if you have many addon's, well. ...