Sign in to follow this  
NoahBryant

DLC and third party prices - a poll

DLC Prices  

118 members have voted

1. 1. If Microsoft allowed third party developers to supply content, but charged 30% more, would you still pay for it?

Its an irrelevant question, They are not interested in 3PD addons. But NO, I would keep FSX and pay 30% less for the same addon from the same developer and be satisfied the 30% went to the developer and not Mega MS..

Its an irrelevant question, They are not interested in 3PD addons. But NO, I would keep FSX and pay 30% less for the same addon from the same developer and be satisfied the 30% went to the developer and not Mega MS..
I do not think anyone truly knows that at this point, in fact I have seen a comment or two that would lead me to believe otherwise...

This was never just about the rumored 30% entry fee for 3PDs.Go read Orbx's comments on the situation from a few months back. It was much much more then just MS asking for a cut.

Go read Orbx's comments on the situation from a few months back. It was much much more then just MS asking for a cut.
But remember that is a one-sided point of view - i never seen Microsoft's, have you?

The criteria for the poll is flawed, as has been mentioned by some of the previous postings. Products don't have to be more expensive to be hosted by Microsoft. Any developer that thinks that way is a fool, IMNSHO.Flight offers a different business model and a different product level than previous versions of the game. I don't believe I'll live to see the day when people are buying 300 page manuals to fly an aircraft in Flight. Maybe I'll be wrong, yet again?It's still way too early to get a feel for the DLC and the price point that Microsoft feels is appropriate. I'm thinking $80 for a plane or $40 for an airport isn't what they are trying to achieve. While there will be some happy to pay those prices, on a broader scale a whole lot more will not be happy to pay those prices.As a developer, given the choice of marketing a product for $20 to the FSX community and giving 30% to an online store versus selling that for $10 and giving Microsoft 30%, unless the numbers don't justify it, I'd be leaning towards the Microsoft model. Making a little from a lot is better than making a lot from a little.

I'm happy to pay for the DLC as it stands, and agree with the arguments presented above vis-a-vis 3PD probably not needing to charge extra due to the savings in marketing costs, etc. To date, I've bought the Hawaiian Adventure addon and the Maule. One point I will make, that I've not seen stated elsewhere, is that there should be a level playing field when it comes to DLC pricing. As it stands today, those of us living down here in Australia have to pay about 60% more for the same download that you guys up in the northern hemisphere get. The MS Live Marketplace for some reason charges people in the US $19.99USD for the Hawaiian pack, but we have to pay $29.99AUD, despite the Australian Dollar being stronger than the US Dollar (Oz price equates to about $31.50USD or so.) Which, I'm sure you'll agree, SUCKS. There is Zero reason for pricing to be different across different regions for the same downloaded file. I've queried MS on this discrepancy, but to date they've chosen not to respond.Cheers,Derek

Australia have to pay about 60% more for the same download that you guys up in the northern hemisphere get.
I'm sure you realize that shipping a product all the way to Australia is expensive. . .J/K - No, that is strange. . .at the same time, I'm sure they are gathering valuable data about price elasticity. . .but that is kinda cruddy no matter what. . .

But remember that is a one-sided point of view - i never seen Microsoft's, have you?
You wont see Microsoft's point of view. Big corps are typically not keen on airing there dirty laundry, even if its in there own defense.

Kevin Miller

3D Artist and developer

I'll pay extra to get 3PD involved in Flight.

FS2020 

Alienware Aurora R11 10th Gen Intel Core i7 10700F - Windows 11 Home 32GB Ram
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4060 Ti 16GB DLSS 3 - HP Reverb G2

I dont think its required. Flight and many FSX people might be new to the Marketplace but MS has been doing this for years for DLC from 3rd parties on LIVE and it must work or your wouldn't see any DLC on it.Its no different than console gaming companies now complaining their losing money to EBGames and other stores that resell titles, and they slap a stupid online code that must be bought for 800MSP now. And &@($* this is it all comes down to greed and how fat they can make their wallets. Sure everyone is entitled to make as much profit as possible but when you don't like the business plan laid out infront of you. This shouldn't be redirected onto your fan base.

I dont think its required. Flight and many FSX people might be new to the Marketplace but MS has been doing this for years for DLC from 3rd parties on LIVE and it must work or your wouldn't see any DLC on it.Its no different than console gaming companies now complaining their losing money to EBGames and other stores that resell titles, and they slap a stupid online code that must be bought for 800MSP now. And &@($* this is it all comes down to greed and how fat they can make their wallets. Sure everyone is entitled to make as much profit as possible but when you don't like the business plan laid out infront of you. This shouldn't be redirected onto your fan base.
This market is so small that many have made emotional attachments to the 3PD's and identify with them closely. The emotional aspects of the situation have become a driving factor in the conversation at this point.

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

This market is so small that many have made emotional attachments to the 3PD's and identify with them closely. The emotional aspects of the situation have become a driving factor in the conversation at this point.
Not sure about your conclusion. More likely is people have become attached to having the ability to purchase add ons according to personal selection and financial means.Obviously with Flight you have no say what you are offered or the price, but with 3pd add on makers you do.Bryan.

those of us living down here in Australia have to pay about 60% more for the same download that you guys up in the northern hemisphere get.
Same here in New Zealand. I think it said that the extra was tax!!

You wont see Microsoft's point of view. Big corps are typically not keen on airing there dirty laundry, even if its in there own defense.
By point exactly. All I've heard are the one-sided views of two dissatisfied 3PDs - which are not worth very much in isolation..

Not sure about your conclusion. More likely is people have become attached to having the ability to purchase add ons according to personal selection and financial means.Obviously with Flight you have no say what you are offered or the price, but with 3pd add on makers you do.Bryan.
Hang out at some sites where members are pledging undying loyalty (and an accompanying fierce opposition to Flight!) and it seems quite emotion driven.

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5