Sign in to follow this  
RoboRay

Concerned about this forum...

Moderators are people. So come with the usual flaws!For every intelligent, wise, non-egocentric, friendly, well intended mod like SpiritFlyer, there's a grumpy, angry, 'little man', who enjoys using his power more than he enjoys the true sense of moderation.I find the majority of mods on AVSIM do just fine; but I have observed 2 or 3 who fit into the latter description above..... One can be very, very rude and abrupt.... one other is rarely rude or ill-tempered, but far, far to quick to close threads. Remember, it's called moderation because it's best used in moderation. :smile:

Thank you Stick,For what it's worth, I think I was too hasty in my decision to lock the last thread. If I could do it over, I would not have, or if I could unlock it, I would. Sometimes I can read something the wrong way, only to come back later and read it again and wonder what in the heck I thought I saw the first time. This was one of those times. I will report this post myself and see what happens. Maybe Tom will fix it, or fix me! Who knows! :smile:Kind regards,

Geof was so kind as to unlock the thread for me. Thank you sir. For everyone else, and Bobber, the original poster on the locked thread, no need to thank me for the exciting Sunday night drama. You are most welcome! We aim to please. Anytime! :smile:Kind regards,

People are never as forward about giving positive feedback (we all love a good moan eh!), so I just want to say sincerely Stephen that your attitude here is always positive, well-balanced and friendly. I've never seen you get visibly (or should it be audibly?!) angry or 'heckled' by any member of the forums (even those out to test). Your composure and comms was also exemplary around the Official Orbx Forum debacle, and the seemingly bizarre, extreme and unfocussed banning of so many good users.In short, as us Brits would say; you do a bloody good job sir! ....keep up the good work.... :smile:

People are never as forward about giving positive feedback (we all love a good moan eh!), so I just want to say sincerely Stephen that your attitude here is always positive, well-balanced and friendly. I've never seen you get visibly (or should it be audibly?!) angry or 'heckled' by any member of the forums (even those out to test). Your composure and comms was also exemplary around the Official Orbx Forum debacle, and the seemingly bizarre, extreme and unfocussed banning of so many good users.In short, as us Brits would say; you do a bloody good job sir! ....keep up the good work.... :smile:
+1 from a good ole American as well! That was really big of him to get that thread unlocked also.

Guest Antlab
Voltaire? I thought that was by Tony Orlando and Dawn...?
Sincerely I didn't know Tony Orlando and Dawn, maybe I am an old eurocentric guy :-)A.

I think the moderator here is doing a great job. I spent some time yesterday on the other major sites looking at the Flight forums and most of them are almost completely negative. When I look at the posts here there are still a few negative ones but most are positive. I think a forum should be a place where you can come and share your experiences, ask questions and get tips without having to wade through endless posts about how bad the sim is. Good job Avsim, keep up the good work.

I think the AVSIM mods do a great job in very challenging circumstances..In all the years I've ben on the 'net and using boards (BBS when I started - dialing up using a coupler - remember them?!) I have rarely seen the bile you can sometimes see on AVSIM..It seems that flight simmers, being perhaps more intelligent than your average internet user (all those knobs, buttons and flows to memorise, perhaps LOL) seem to have a predisposition toward "heated" debate..Perhaps not, but there has been more than a fair share of anger and dissatisfaction on AVSIM since (and before) it was hacked..The mods have to walk a fine line, and in most cases do it very well IMO..I'm not brownnosing here btw!!bestjake

JAKE EYRE
It's a small step from the sublime to the ridiculous...Napoleon Bonaparte
newSigBetaTeam.gif
lancairuk.jpg

Yeah it is nice to see the Flight storm is being weathered well here on AVSIM.We simmers tend to be an enthusiastic but opinionated bunch and whenever there are competing or overlapping products released, folks tend to pick sides and be vocal about their dislike for the other product.I myself was not very warm to Flight hearing all the good and easy to focus on bad/missing things from the beta testers, but decided to give it a chance since I don't need to pick FSX or Flight and I can use both for different things.After the initial shock of no TrackIR and using the workaround I've actually found it pretty fun for VFR low and slow exploration and surprisingly I already have quite a few hours with it, I bought the DLCs and am looking forward to seeing it get better and better (and TIR support).Hopefully after the initial Flight release reactions (and no TIR shock) are past, I suspect many simmers will find that Flight grows on you not as a replacement for FSX or XP10 but as something fun to fly in addition to it.

--John near KPAE

Stephen - And my apologies if I came off as rude - just an attempt to phrase my opinion. : )Bob

Stephen - And my apologies if I came off as rude - just an attempt to phrase my opinion. : )Bob
No worries Bob! :friends: My apologies to you too.

This thread is just begging for me to write something critical, but all I am going to say is that I have been critical of the moderators and some people who recently became moderators, since the Flight beta started.I stopped posting, because it seemed that I was the last person posting critical views of Flight and my days were numbered.So, kudos to the OP for speaking up and good luck.

There's really nothing bad you can say about Flight unless you have an agenda
I suspect this kind of position is not exactly the basis for a civil and honest confront with people that can have different opinions, or maybe you have a quite low standard for perfection... Candide by Voltaire was a pessimist compared to you Big%20Grin.gifA.
Taking this in the context of Dillon's earlier posting, before the forum was shut down, is incredible - and I mean that in a very good way Dillon. If you weren't around before Ant (and I can't remember), Dillon was (at least in my opinion) a very vocal Flight basher...for lack of a better term. The portion of his post that you chose to quote actually is a good basis for civil and honest confront (again in my opinion). If Flight is based on it's own merits, it is a very capable sim/game, and seems to be accomplishing what Microsoft set out to do - attract new people to our niche market. I see where Dillon says it's both "quite good" and that it "aint bad" - I don't see where he's saying it's perfect. While I agree there's room for improvement, a solid foundation is there...and THAT, as the topics seem to show in this reopened forum, are creating civil and honest discussion.I'm rambling, so I'll stop. Thanks to both of you for expressing your views - let's keep things going!

Guest Antlab
The portion of his post that you chose to quote actually is a good basis for civil and honest confront (again in my opinion).
Hi Newthog. I respect your view, but don't agree with it. For a very simple reason. Here we are talking of a game (or sim, as you prefer), not about geopolitics or welfare strategies. So I consider completely normal that different people have different opinions about the move made by MS with the change from the FSxx series to Flight. And I am quite sure that also many Flight lovers will accept the fact that there are still many features lacking that were present in the previous series. So accusing the "critics" of having a sort of secret agenda is quite ingenuous, and obviously has the aim to completely negate validity to the points of view that don't consider "perfect" Flight. I would prefer more serene capability of confront, considering the subject.A.

I respect your view, but don't agree with it
And THAT ^ is what's so cool about this - thanks for saying it that way. We can agree to disagree - while I agree with quita a bit of the other things you say in your post, I still stand by my original feelings/thoughts. Compared to the way this forum was prior to having a "time out", the fact we can express this in a civilized manner is incredible! Having a "lively discussion" as opposed to verbal fisticuffs always seems to work better...