Sign in to follow this  
RoboRay

Concerned about this forum...

In my eyes, this forum is being over-moderated. Twice now I've seen threads locked where a valid, civil discussion was underway. There was no flaming, no insults, no profanity... only differing views being expressed. Was everyone perfectly polite? Maybe not, but nobody was being rude, either.I am aware of what led to the Flight forum being closed prior to launch, though I wasn't a reader at the time, so I understand the moderators wanting to keep things here under tight control. However, it's being taken to excess if moderation is stifling discussions about Flight simply because negative opinions of certain aspects or even the entire product are being expressed, without arguments.Question for the moderators: When a thread is closed, and members report the closing for not agreeing with it (as directed to do in the closing notice), is that report reviewed by a different moderator than originally closed it, to provide a "second opinion" of the validity of the action?

Could not agree more. The last example is Bobber's thread. And soon this one. Avsim was not like this before I can tell you that. But also that we are guests here as this is not a public forum. I believe that this being the only large discussion forum for flight is the major cause.Alex

I too think the detractors should get a fair hearing as long as its civil. The problem is, things are never very civil for long. Flight is not for everyone. We all know that.The thing is, many things happen behind the scene's we are not privy too. If the mods lock a thread, im sure they have good reason too. There have been many "anti Flight" members registering user names just to post and rail on Flight out of some "duty" for hard core simming. You cant tell who they are, but the mods see IP addresses of every poster, and im sure they are noticing a few IP's constantly popping up under new names.Its all in an effort to "keep the peace". How far is "too far"? Thats the choice of the mods. Its not a free speech public forum.

Kevin Miller

3D Artist and developer

I actually agree with what the mods are doing at this point. I was one of the ones before Flight's release that was really against it. After FSX Flight was a real let down in what MS was proposing it was. After it's release I'm finding it's quite good. What's been discusssed constructively about it has been rehashed over and over again. What we are finding now is people are coming in here bashing it that haven't even installed it and/or given it a chance past the first five minutes. The mods recognize this and stamp it out quickly. Anyone who's been around for years and loves flying knows a good product from a bad one, and Flight ain't bad by a long shot. There's really nothing bad you can say about Flight unless you have an agenda. The sim is perfect in the context of what it is. Actually it's more than what it's marketed up to be. It was ingenious to offer this software for free. I would still be aginst it if I had to buy it because after FSX I was convinced it was some more over bloated software that would never run on my system. When I saw it ran on my machine and ran well I was blown away much less hooked. FSX couldn't run St. Martinique on two year old hardware when it was release yet Flight today can. It takes full advantage of hardware that FSX doesn't even do to this day. I'm still an FS9er who has never embraced FSX. To have a new version of Flight Simulator running on my machine well is truly unexpected.So all this is to say the mods have it right here. If you are a real simmer you have to give credit where it's due and Flight is deserving of it or should I say the developers are deserving of Kudos... Those that are taking issue with Flight at this point are looking for issues. Unless someone has a really old video card no one should have a problem running this sim with it looking really well on their system. We know what it needs and that goes without saying but outside of that the engine under Flight is the best we've ever seen in the history of the franchise period...

FS2020 

Alienware Aurora R11 10th Gen Intel Core i7 10700F - Windows 11 Home 32GB Ram
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4060 Ti 16GB DLSS 3 - HP Reverb G2

I agree also they are doing fine. As I wrote before I checked out two places before signing up here to be involved in the MS Flight community. The other two were the opposite of this. Completely and utterly dominated by detractors and people standing on soap boxes holding their FSX trophies. One even had a thread at the top of the first page discussing how awful AVSIM was and it was running for multiple pages.. Not the type of environment I want to be in.

ASUS ROG STRIX Z390-E GAMING / i9-9900k @ 4.7 all cores w/ NOCTUA NH-D15S / 2080ti / 32GB G.Skill 3200 RIPJAWS / 1TB Evo SSD / 500GB Evo SSD /  2x 3TB HDD / CORSAIR CRYSTAL 570X / IPSG 850W 80+ PLATINUM / Dual 4k Monitors 

Oh, I agree that the mods are doing a good job of keeping this from turning into what every other flight sim forum is like now, and it needs to be done, but it seems that the line being held is just a bit too far over.Is it too much to wait for flames to actually happen, rather than saying "This thread might turn into flames, so it's closed." ???

Question for the moderators: When a thread is closed, and members report the closing for not agreeing with it (as directed to do in the closing notice), is that report reviewed by a different moderator than originally closed it, to provide a "second opinion" of the validity of the action?
As far as I know when a thread is reported it goes to Tom. Perhaps it goes to other administrators, but I don't know. It does not go to me, that's all I know for certain.Insofar as whether to lock a thread, perhaps any one of us are sometimes too severe and at other times we let a problem thread go too long. Our intentions are not to stifle reasonable expression, but we are aware that a thread that criticizes FSX in the FSX forum by X-planers causes big problems, and vice-versa. We all remember the FS9/FSX war of the worlds. It's even more volatile with Flight in these very early days.The first Flight forum became a blood bath and had to be closed, so we are careful to watch and respond before fuses are lit and run too far. Sometimes we err on one side or the other, and it would be really easy to disagree with another's choice, even among moderators. Everyone is just trying to do their best. That does not mean that we can't do better, something we all want to do as experience teaches us good judgment.Patience is a virtual, for moderators, and those who are the victims. :smile:Kind regards,Edit: No, this thread will not be closed, at least not by me, unless someone starts talking about my mother or sisters...

I appreciate your consideration, and your thoughts on the matter.

Maybe this question needs to be revisited in a year or so, after the software has been thoroughly run through its paces and MIcrosoft has had a year to see where Flight is going.

COSIMbanner_AVSIM3.jpg

Guest Antlab
There's really nothing bad you can say about Flight unless you have an agenda. The sim is perfect in the context of what it is.
I suspect this kind of position is not exactly the basis for a civil and honest confront with people that can have different opinions, or maybe you have a quite low standard for perfection... Candide by Voltaire was a pessimist compared to you Big%20Grin.gifA.

... Candide by Voltaire was a pessimist compared to you Big%20Grin.gifA.
Voltaire? I thought that was by Tony Orlando and Dawn...?

Oh, I agree that the mods are doing a good job of keeping this from turning into what every other flight sim forum is like now, and it needs to be done, but it seems that the line being held is just a bit too far over.Is it too much to wait for flames to actually happen, rather than saying "This thread might turn into flames, so it's closed." ???
I have turned into an avid support of Flight, which surpised me very much. I agree for the most part the mods are doing a very good job, but will admit I saw one recently locked and I thought, why the heck was that one locked... the discussion was quite civil and valid points made by both sides.But, it is a judegement call, and as mentioned sometimes they err on the side of caution, either way.

In my eyes, this forum is being over-moderated. Twice now I've seen threads locked where a valid, civil discussion was underway. There was no flaming, no insults, no profanity... only differing views being expressed. Was everyone perfectly polite? Maybe not, but nobody was being rude, either.I am aware of what led to the Flight forum being closed prior to launch, though I wasn't a reader at the time, so I understand the moderators wanting to keep things here under tight control. However, it's being taken to excess if moderation is stifling discussions about Flight simply because negative opinions of certain aspects or even the entire product are being expressed, without arguments.Question for the moderators: When a thread is closed, and members report the closing for not agreeing with it (as directed to do in the closing notice), is that report reviewed by a different moderator than originally closed it, to provide a "second opinion" of the validity of the action?
I agree .. not sure whats going on!

Edit: No, this thread will not be closed, at least not by me, unless someone starts talking about my mother or sisters...
:LMAO: