Sign in to follow this  
jasonboche

VOR Navigation

edit: oh yeah, there is the mustang (i haven't bought it)...i forgot...that'd get you up pretty high i suppose.
...and if it had a cockpit so you could tune the radios.

...and if it had a cockpit so you could tune the radios.
Do what most warbirds do these days....Just bring along a portable GPS.. :smile:

Jason,A simple google search would have saved you the post and answered any and all of your questions!http://www.sarangan....vor-article.pdfFeel free to ask any other questions after you read the document. :smile:Regards,
I want to get back to this document once more because I finally had time to give the method described in the pdf a try (using meshan's VORs for triangulation information) and I have to say... THIS IS AWESOME!!! Instead of having to turn the knobs all the time and creating a mental picture of all the provided information (which can become quite complicated), making sure to look at TO and FROM and thinking about radials inbound and outbound, I used the guy's method to set both VORs at the start and then simply look at the hemisphere you have to fly to... and it worked GREAT! I just flew to various airports simply starting in the middle of nowhere, and I got to each airport without ANY problems. Dead simple. Once you understand it... :wink:

I want to get back to this document once more because I finally had time to give the method described in the pdf a try (using meshan's VORs for triangulation information) and I have to say... THIS IS AWESOME!!!
Thanks for the feedback - I double checked to make sure I did save this document previously and glad I have it along with meshan's VOR's.FSX spoiled me with ILS/IFR flying and the GPS, VOR navigation is an area I am sorely lacking in. I will have to spend some time with it also here soon.

Thanks for the feedback - I double checked to make sure I did save this document previously and glad I have it along with meshan's VOR's.FSX spoiled me with ILS/IFR flying and the GPS, VOR navigation is an area I am sorely lacking in. I will have to spend some time with it also here soon.
LOL I also hardly used VOR in FSX... I always looked at the GPS or let the FMC and AP do all the thinking. :wink: I had problems applying triangulation (if that is how you say it in English) and the only thing I could do, was fly straight at a VOR or intercept a certain radial. But triangulation... not really. And flying outbound... er...But as I said, with this method you simply enter both VOR freqs in the radio, you set the desired radials using the OBS and that's is: by simply looking at the gauges (as explained in the pdf) I can now fly at every airport or intersection without any problems and I hit the intersection everytime perfectly without touching a single knob or having to do calculations. Great fun!!!EDITHere is a great article about this method, and also (very interesting!) why everybody is using VOR in a different way (as a command instrument). Great stuff!http://www.campbells.org/Airplanes/VOR/vor.html(The link comes from the pdf btw.)

Well it sort of is. Try picking up the Kamuela VOR from Bradshaw AAF...

Here is a great article about this method, and also (very interesting!) why everybody is using VOR in a different way (as a command instrument). Great stuff!http://www.campbells...es/VOR/vor.html(The link comes from the pdf btw.)
Try the link to VOR simulator. (outdated) on that article, its real good.New Link http://www.luizmonte...ng_VOR_Sim.aspx

I just posted a tutorial in the MS Flight tutorial section about how to use VORs the easy way! Hopefully the staff will let it go online quickly. Flying using VOR as it is intended it such great fun and SO EASY...! Forget all those sites about VOR that talk about reciprocals and reverse sensing... You don't need all that. VORs are meant to help you, not to make getting there complicated. :wink:And all that thanks to MS Flight... I never expected to get into VORs with this gam... sim! :wink:

However, that's not simulated, so no worries about that during virtual flying. :wink:
Interestingly, the terrain blocking is simulated. I was flying from Hana to Honolulu earlier and tuned the HNL VOR while I was still near Hana, but lost it when I cut across Maui and went "behind" the West Maui Volcano.
Oddly enough, last night while flying VOR to VOR, I noticed one of the VOR stations (about 30nm out) was tuned in and functioning properly - except for the morse code tone. For the most part there was no tone but I left it turned on and once in a while VOR identifier tone would come in for a brief moment, then disappear. I thought maybe it was a distance issue but as I gained altitude & closed in on the VOR I was flying a bearing to, the tone situation never improved.Bug?
I think it's a connection issue. I've run into that only in crowded multiplayer lobbies.

I just posted a tutorial in the MS Flight tutorial section about how to use VORs the easy way! Hopefully the staff will let it go online quickly.
The "Staff" (me actually) made only one minor spelling correction, approved it, and made it a 'sticky' for a few weeks. I like to promote the newest Tutorials at the top for awhile.Thanks for a well-written and illustrated Tutorial! :Peace:

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

The "Staff" (me actually)
Well Bill; you are a classical concert organist, so in my view you are a one man orchestra.(Maybe that is why they left you to single handedly manage Tutorials/Tips and Tricks.I also tried Piano and Organ, but gave up. I needed another full set of limbs.

The "Staff" (me actually) made only one minor spelling correction, approved it, and made it a 'sticky' for a few weeks. I like to promote the newest Tutorials at the top for awhile.Thanks for a well-written and illustrated Tutorial! :Peace:
Thanks! In the meantime I've posted another correction job for you... :wink: This time it's about intercepting a VOR radial inbound and outbound using the same EASY method. (It's a real mystery to me why they decided to make VOR navigation so complicated by introducing reciprocal radials and reverse sensing while the VOR is incredible EASY to use when you use it as it was intended...!)

Well Bill; you are a classical concert organist, so in my view you are a one man orchestra.(Maybe that is why they left you to single handedly manage Tutorials/Tips and Tricks.
OT: Here is a photo of my Conn Artiste 650 console here at St. Gregory's House. It has been extensively modified through "midification", meaning that I gutted all of the tone generators since most were bad anyway. My hybrid is driven by three Pentium 4 computers, driving SoundBlaster AWE64 audio cards via custom SoundFont files. These SoundFonts were developed from digital recordings made from some of the worlds finest cathedral organs. The output from the SB cards are fed into a mixer board, and fed into a 500watt/channel organ amplifier connected to 22" Conn Speakers.Here is a link to a Buxtehude Toccata that I recorded about a year ago that will give you some idea of what it sounds like......it keeps both my hands and feet quite busy! :hi:
Toccata in F Major, BuxWV 157 [4:20] (A=465) Whereas the previous work in the catalog was almost frenetic in its variety, this is almost quite repetitive, and divided into two discernible sections: the first alternates scaled passages with strong repeated chords and the second is a small fugue, which reiterates the repeated chords near the end. Instrument: Gottfried Silbermann Organ, Reinhardtsgrimma / Sachsen, Germany (1731)
http://n4gix.home.comcast.net/~n4gix/PipeOrgan/Toccata in F Major, BuxWV 157_02.mp3conn_650_004_400.jpg

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

That is some serious music.Bravo Bill, BravoI wonder if Buxtehude music has been performed at Rothenburg.