Sign in to follow this  

Just bought Maule, can't take off with passengers...?

Just load her up and make sure you have enough rwy. I'm flying the Maule right now with max (in the red) load and no problems. 4 people, fuel for 250 miles. All settings on "realistic"

I'm flying the Maule right now with max (in the red) load and no problems. 4 people, fuel for 250 miles. All settings on "realistic"
Good luck landing. :)Hook

Larry Hookins

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;

Good luck landing. :)
It's done! Fast (~85 kts) approach. I did get some squeaks but they were OK.

I haven't tried this. . .but for those longer, heavier missions is it OK to plan and execute a fuel stop enroute? Any penalty for that?

No penalty as far as I know, but you'll get some satiric comments.

I haven't tried this. . .but for those longer, heavier missions is it OK to plan and execute a fuel stop enroute? Any penalty for that?
There's no problem with it, but you're probably just as well off flying overweight from the beginning. That way, you only have to risk one overweight takeoff and landing. Also, if it's a clandestine cargo job, you spend less time near airports. :DHook

Larry Hookins

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;

I flew every job, regardless in terms of overweight.It`s the recommended MaxTOW, but you can takeoff way beyond this if you want.What I do: Looking for a Job, let`s say 170NM and 850lbs.I go back to Hangar and fuel up to 190NM (little safety margin)Then go back to jobboard and choose again the mission.Depending on rwy lenght i put flaps 24°, brakes full throttle and release brakes, and off I go. Adjust rudder for crosswind if necessary.I did also a 250NM job like this, with massive overweight. hard to fly but possible.You can also plan one or more refueling stops on your way if needed.Another hint is to go high as possible. You can lean the mixture and also you got more groundspeed in higher flight levels. Normal enroute FL for the Maule is 4-8000ft, but sometimes i go up to 12.000ft. Saves fuel and gives you more speed.

At 10% fuel on a clandestine, my co-pilot recommended I put down for fuel at an airport without a tower.Yeah, how many airports are there in the game that have fuel and no tower lady?! :huh:

one of the things I've noticed - something I think is a nice touch - after the invisible copilot says "we're too heavy" I'll go to the fuel screen and put us slightly overweight. Come back into the cockpit, and if it's a longer runway, the invisible copilot will say something to the effect of "we're overweight, but density altitude should let us get airborne with no problems"I have encountered the attempting to circle on takeoff roll. I've found it can be a combination of crosswind, not inputing enough rudder initially to counter torque, or not making prompt enough corrections to drop a wing when the roll/yaw starts.

@J Van E:Most things were already said by the guys but here are my 2 cents on the subject:The reason you were going in circles is 99% due to wind. Make sure to always take wind into account, especially if you're overweight since the aircraft is much less agile. For instance, if you do not correct your path using rudder in time, it may be too late if you have already reached a certain speed. It happened to me several times when i tried to take off while weighing 3000lbs, which is way over aircraft maximum allowed weight, and with 29kt wind that was blowing from behind. It is almost impossible to take off safely without strafing away from the runway. So when i fly under bad weather, i take some extra time to taxi to the other way of the runway and face the headwind. It is much easier to stay on the right track with a head wind, although it takes more time to accelerate enough for the lift off.Another advice regarding fuel is naturally to take off with the minimum amount of fuel required to reach the destination (taking into account how much weight you're carrying - people or cargo). So for instance, if i carry 800lbs of cargo and distance is 100nm, i load the amount of fuel that allows me to reach 120nm. Once you take off and reach a desired altitude, reduce RPM, throttle and mixture slightly more than you would if you weren't overweight but be careful not to over reduce it ofc. Also, wind is a huge factor when it comes to fuel consumption. For instance, yesterday, i forgot that i was facing a 29kt headwind all the way to my destination and it resulted in an unpleasant feeling that i was going to run out of fuel and it was already too late to land on an airport to refuel. However, i managed to reach my destination with 1% fuel left :) It was quite dramatic. On the other hand, when you have back wind, your plane consumes noticeably less fuel (plus you are going faster). Generally speaking, Maule can go around 6-8nm with each % of your fuel (those are stats from the game, not real life) depending on wind and weight.Also, when cruising with Maule, reduce flaps to -7 degrees (especially if you're facing severe winds) cuz it also affects fuel consumption.In Flight, Maule is my favorite aircraft so far and is a bliss to fly with so i hope that once you get to know it, you will start liking it a lot.P.S. I will look through my videos and try to find some most difficult take offs and landings with Maule and post it here so that you can see it. Perhaps it will help you at least a little bit.P.S.S. Regarding mixture, make sure you have disabled "automixture" in gameplay settings.Cheers

In Flight, Maule is my favorite aircraft so far and is a bliss to fly with so i hope that once you get to know it, you will start liking it a lot
Agreed, the more I fly it the more I like it - especially now that I am doing manually by the checklists.Initially I hated this aircraft, and now I find msyelf flying it more than any other.While it may not be entirely accurate there truly is a lot of simulation aspect with this plane in Flight.

Thanks for all the tips and advice! :smile: Good to know that no matter what problem I have with MS Flight, I can come here for a solution! Or at least a helping hand.... :wink:I didn't know about the bug that prevents the fuel window from opening... I can't try it out now but I am sure this will solve 90% of my problems. And the other 10% were (indeed) due to wind...!About the mixture: I use the mouse in the VC for that and as I said, I don't notice any difference until I reach 16%... I will give it another try tomorrow at a greater altitude.

Hey Don,speaking of checklists...i do them every time but i still haven't figured out how to manually do some things so i just skip it, namely checking instruments part. I tried everything, zooming in, looking around, hovering my mouse over it but to no avail. Can you help me out here?Cheers

This may be obvious, but if you use one notch of flaps on the Maule when taking off heavy on those short "no tower" runways the takeoff distance is much shorter and you are able to climb out easier.Brian

Thanks for all the tips and advice! :smile: Good to know that no matter what problem I have with MS Flight, I can come here for a solution! Or at least a helping hand.... :wink:I didn't know about the bug that prevents the fuel window from opening... I can't try it out now but I am sure this will solve 90% of my problems. And the other 10% were (indeed) due to wind...!About the mixture: I use the mouse in the VC for that and as I said, I don't notice any difference until I reach 16%... I will give it another try tomorrow at a greater altitude.
I agree with you. Avsim is a great place. I have been a member for less than a month and i already learned a lot and met some great people here :) Also, it's so great that people are always trying to help each other out.I am glad you solved at least some of the problems you had :) and yes, the wind is a huge factor especially in smaller aircraft such as Maule. Once you master your Maule and learn how she behaves under different circumstances, you will love flying it. Stupid question but, did you finish all landing challenges for Maule with a gold star? If you haven't, i strongly recommend that you do. It will give you a great perception of what this aircraft can do and it will help you adjust to weather conditions really fast. A little piece of advice: be patient with challenge number 6 :)Regarding mixture, i understand you are decreasing it in VC, but bare in mind that if "auto mixture" is enabled, you changing it inside the cockpit will probably not have any effect except if you go too low which will result in engine stop.Cheers