Sign in to follow this  
FSMP

Boeing 737 -- From Cold and Dark to Ready for Taxiing -- but ?

Nice Youtube video of a 737 "real world sim" startup -- but can you spot one VERY IMPORTANT thing they seemed to have missed, that would really have spoil their day ?

Well... the missing video spoiled the thread.
Well played, sir.

Well... the missing video spoiled the thread.
Wow, you killed me with that one, :( but where is the missing video?

Nice Youtube video of a 737 "real world sim" startup -- but can you spot one VERY IMPORTANT thing they seemed to have missed, that would really have spoil their day ?
I certainly spotted the thing you missed :( :(

System: MSFS2020-Premium Deluxe, ASUS Maximus XI Hero,  Intel i7-8086K o/c to 5.0GHz, Corsair AIO H115i Pro, Lian Li PC-O11D XL,MSI RTX 3080 SUPRIM 12Gb, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 SSD, 1Tb Samsung 860 EVO SSD, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200Mhz RAM, Corsair R1000X Gold PSU,Win 11 ,LG 43UD79 43" 4K IPS Panel., Airbus TCA Full Kit, Stream Deck XL.

Sorry, it was NOT meant to be an "APRIL FOOLS" -- I just forgot the link. (it was a long day)

Don't tell me that they didn't notify the ground personnels before APU fire test. I think that's not within his consideration.Being really serious, I noticed some "flaws":- Didn't notify ground personnel before APU fire test.- Didn't notify ground personnel before powering up hydraulics.- Didn't check hydraulic pressure after turning on the elec pumps. This would result in inefficient parking brake power after wheel chock removed if hydraulic system had malfunction.- Young pilot on F/O seat didn't perform checklist seriously. You can see him responded "Pass Sign On" without even raised his head and looked at it.- Young pilot on F/O seat responded "I believe taxi briefing is completed", however no briefing related to taxi had ever made before he said so.I have a question:Why he left Right Pack Off during preflight?

I didn't see them do a trim check.
Trim check is performed in Before Takeoff Check. But yes, they could set it after engine start together with flaps or anytime they wish. I think one of the reason that STAB Trim and Flaps are checked just before takeoff is that when de-icing, Stablizer is moved forward and flaps are retracted to prevent fluid from getting into them. In history, some pilots forgot to reset them after deicing.

Not an "it will kill them" item, but isnt the ovht/det supposed to go off after test? And did they monitor APU start?

Why he left Right Pack Off during preflight?
The APUs common on classics operate better on one pack, compared to APUs common on NGs that operate better on two. This would be seen on APU BITE page in MAINT section of CDU.

I'm not a 737Pilot, but it seemed to me, they started off with onboard battery power, the turned on Ext (GPU) power, and then turned on all the lights to full .. and proceeded. So at what point did they switch off GPU power, and get it disconnected, and confirm disconnection, before Pushback. ?I got the distinct mental picture of them DRAGGING the GPU unit with them, as they were being pushed back. ----------------------------------Then again, the whole startup was very CASUAL --- but not nearly as entertainimng as one of their later video, where the "Captain" had 3 young female students in the cockpit with him.Oh, if only FSX was such fun !! After seeing that, I REALLY want "Multicrew" BTW: for those interested in Multicrew, you need to watch Capt Roberto's Video of his recent PMDG Presentation at the German Aerosoft FS Conference. There he made a very interesting statement about "Multicrew" that I have never seen in any forum or Press Release,.. :(

Then again, the whole startup was very CASUAL --- but not nearly as entertainimng as one of their later video, where the "Captain" had 3 young female students in the cockpit with him.
Damn, I need to look that up. I have only seen one where he (rather unfairly...) compares 737CL to an A320... 2/3rds of the video was just him walking back and forth from one sim to another.
BTW: for those interested in Multicrew, you need to watch Capt Roberto's Video of his recent PMDG Presentation at the German Aerosoft FS Conference. There he made a very interesting statement about "Multicrew" that I have never seen in any forum or Press Release,..
Actually, they talked about it in the forum several times, essentially, it was the same thing - they would really like to do it, the plane was made with multicrew in mind to start, but they ran into some problems, and dont know when they will get around to fixing them.(FWIW I think the VSD network flooding might be connected to MCC preparations)Edit: Oh, and the GPU bus is disconnected automatically when APU is connected. As for the cable disconnection, I am not sure. I guess they consider it standart procedure for ground crew to disconnect when ready for pushback.

Edit: Oh, and the GPU bus is disconnected automatically when APU is connected. As for the cable disconnection, I am not sure. I guess they consider it standart procedure for ground crew to disconnect when ready for pushback.

Yes, GPU "should" automatically disconnect when APU is connected.

While the cable disconnect may be "standard procedure", surely there is some check, from the cockpit, to confirm when it is, or is not connected, which is part of a check-list or scan at some time ?

Anyway, despite any missing checks, the video is one of the CLEAREST demos of a 737 startup I have seen, where there is actullay a explanation of what is happening, and a visual of the Captain & FO, doing the appropriate procedures.

There are many "Videos" of Sim pilots "Clicking through" the buttons and switches in a 737, starting it up, but most have no audio (except annoying music), and do little to demonstarte what really happens in a 737 Cockpit during these procedures.

Anyway, despite any missing checks, the video is one of the CLEAREST demos of a 737 startup I have seen, where there is actullay a explanation of what is happening, and a visual of the Captain & FO, doing the appropriate procedures.

I do have to agree on that.

There are many "Videos" of Sim pilots "Clicking through" the buttons and switches in a 737, starting it up, but most have no audio (except annoying music), and do little to demonstarte what really happens in a 737 Cockpit during these procedures.

I never understood the point of those. At the very least, comment on what are you doing.