Sign in to follow this  
mwilk

Took the plunge

Ok, I ordered X-Plane 10 this morning. I'm planning on starting out with the Challenger 300. Are there any other "must have" addons that I should consider?

NAX669.png

Well, I'm like you, only just installed XP10 the other day, even though I bought it when it came out. It was the shiny new X-Aviation DC-3 which finally convinced me to stick all those disks in and spend half an hour installing the bugger. Note that when you do, download the installer/updater from the X-Plane website and use that instead of the installer on the first DVD, the one on the DVD can cause issues.

Anyway, that DC-3 is one you should definitely consider, as it is excellent, and of course there is a very impressive looking 737 on the way too.

Al

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

what are your impressions so far on xp10? i'm considering buying it also, i loved the demo.

I came from FSX and Prepar3d and love Xp10 so far, Ive only had it for 3 months so far, but have bought a lot of addons in that time (thanks to MdMAX's great screen shots) lol. Once I saw through the default planes on the demo and saw what XP is really capapable of, I couldnt go back to FSX anymore. Not that FSX is bad, Ive enjoyed it for 6 years. Its just that I find XP is a better sim for me.

Its buy no means perfect. There is much work to be done on it, but all the things that bug me are being worked on.

Rob

P.S. the DC-3 the CRJ-200, Challenger 300, Beech Duchess and any of the Carenado stuff are my favorite Planes for XP. (all must haves IMO)

I don't know what model MSFS was when I started playing it, but I played it for years on a TRS80 model I and III.It was on a tape player and ran in MSDOS for years in the mid 1980's and I have had every version that came out. With all the other flight sims that have come and gone, I always went back to Microsoft. So it is with a note of sadness, that I don't think I will be going with Flight.

I don't know what model MSFS was when I started playing it, but I played it for years on a TRS80 model I and III.It was on a tape player and ran in MSDOS for years in the mid 1980's and I have had every version that came out. With all the other flight sims that have come and gone, I always went back to Microsoft. So it is with a note of sadness, that I don't think I will be going with Flight.

It sounds to me, like Flight is worthwhile, even though it's limited. The upcoming Alaska for flight, might even make it very immersive. For me, I don't feel that I have to leave anything behind, by taking plunges........ such as leaping off a cliff, and never to return. I'll just simply keep strolling across the various sim platforms, and continue to use, whats attractive, at the moment.

L.Adamson

I have been just a short time with XP-10, and are enjoying every moment more and more... And the community is also one of the best, supporting and helping even newbies like myself... So i am very happy with my plunge into this great sim..

My ordering list of payware aircraft are:

* DC-3

* Challenger 300

* CRJ-200

The 737 also looks very impressive but it aint my kind of aircraft...! Hope you will enjoy your XP-10 as much as me and rest of the community..

It sounds to me, like Flight is worthwhile, even though it's limited. The upcoming Alaska for flight, might even make it very immersive. For me, I don't feel that I have to leave anything behind, by taking plunges........ such as leaping off a cliff, and never to return. I'll just simply keep strolling across the various sim platforms, and continue to use, whats attractive, at the moment.

L.Adamson

I gotta agree with you there. No reason to have to commit yourself to just one sim. Jumping around between sims is sometimes the best way to go, although it can get very expensive.

Rob

L.Adamson

I agree with that. I started in the early 90's. I have dozens of flight simulators on my shelf, whether combat and civil for different platforms. As an aviation enthusiast I enjoy anything about flight and flying machines and just tend to enjoy what is available to me. It makes it an expensive hobby but I see no reason to dump one sim for another. I still enjoy FSX and XPX in equal measure. I still use FS2004, heck I still have FLY! And Flight Unlimited 3 on my hard drive and can still sit there for hours enjoying them. Ohhh.. FU3. Huge nostalgia moment there. Way ahead of its time in my opinion.

Rhydian

Thanks everyone for your insight. Like a lot of you, I have FS9/FSX and Flight installed. I also have tried PrePar3D. Flight has some nice graphics but I don't like being restricted to just a few areas to fly. PrePar3D might be the next generation sim but we're a long way away from that. I've been very impressed with a number of the screen shots that I've seen posted so I thought I'd give it a try. I'm looking forward to getting it installed and trying it out for real.

NAX669.png

Guest Antlab

I bougth XP-10 a few weeks ago, and until now my only payware aircraft is the Carenado Bonanza F33, because I wanted to start with a GA plane. It seems really nice, I am learning the various features.

Money permitting, my next purchase list includes the just released Leading Edge DC-3 and the Rollon CRJ-200. From the reviews and comments that I read, and from the images and videos, they both really seem wonderful.

A.

Don't overlook the Dash 8 Q400, its become my favorite. From the look of things I'll

be getting the DC3 sometime soon as well.

Jack F. Vogel, Delta Virtual Airlines

The only thing that stops me from ever even looking at "flight" is the locked down stated its in and the pricing. Technically if you stuck with flight, in the longer term it will cost thousands and you would still only have a fraction of what we have now. And to rub salt into all of that, all you get is what MS decide you can have (cockpitless "Zero" anyone?). MS will never be able to deliver the quality we already have now. And I haven't even mentioned all the limitations in the program. But not starting a war, I do appreciate that we are all different and for many those objections I raised may not even be a consideration.

One thing I think Xplane could learn from "Flight" and FSX is that it would be good to be able to develop missions kind of scenarios in it.

Off topic I know.

It sounds to me, like Flight is worthwhile, even though it's limited.

Guest Antlab

One thing I think Xplane could learn from "Flight" and FSX is that it would be good to be able to develop missions kind of scenarios in it.

Off topic I know.

Just to follow the OT :smile: , I agree with you. I really enjoyed the missions on FSX (I spent almost a week to land on that terrible moving bus...), and it would be nice to have something similar in XP. By the way, does anyone know something about XAdventures (http://store.meteorbike.com/)? From the description they seem just missions for XP, but they are not still available in the store.

A.