Sign in to follow this  
FIVE-BY-FIVE

I put in fs9 last night after many years

I don't have a problem debating the strengths/weaknesses of FS9 vs. FSX; but I do take issue with the implication that FS9 is not capable of taking full advantage of the latest hardware. Crank up the AI traffic, add multiple layers of clouds, and load up some heavy iron with complex avionics and I can assure you that FS9 will use every ounce of processing power your machine can spare. If I do that on my i7, I may see fps dip from 60 (maxed by vertical sync) to 45. That's why I continue to use FS9... I'm still waiting for the hardware to catch up to it.

I would be very interesting in your definition of fluidity. In FS, I consider a smooth animation with at least 35 to 40 FPS. Below you can feel that it's not running fast enough!

I'm still running fs9 with my i7 850 and my ATI 5850, because under FSX (no tweak) I run a poor 20 FPS at Ajaccio for example with few clouds (REX2). Each version of FS are confortably flyable around 5 years after it has been released...it's a shame!

So, it is old, but with the very good sceneries like the German airports, Vienna...etc, it is visually better than FSX with my configuration...so I can understand her post!

It's gonna open another topic: the use of multicore CPUs, I have a quad core CPU which is not used at 100% of its capacity with FS! Why?

If you mean FS9, it is my understanding that FS9 cannot use multi core, it was designed before such machines. FSX does make use of multi-core. PLZ correct me anyone if I am misleading here.

Fs9 can use all cores, there is a video tutorial on YouTube and I tried it.......amazing results

Fs9 can use all cores, there is a video tutorial on YouTube and I tried it.......amazing results

So it doesn't automatically use all of our processor source? Could you please post the link? I know this is discuSsed by fsx users but I dunno how fs9 handles multiple core..

Thank you

So it doesn't automatically use all of our processor source? Could you please post the link? I know this is discuSsed by fsx users but I dunno how fs9 handles multiple core..

Thank you

I was under the impression that FS9 could never use more then one core; does this have to do with "Set Affinity" in the Task Manager?

Now, if it's wrong to use FS9? Of course not, but if people want to have their opinion on how FS9 works so well for them, i also want to have mine how FSX runs so nice. Please excuse me if i sounded like i was bashing FS9, i wasn't and i did mention that.

This is the place you're looking for.

http://forum.avsim.n...1-ms-fsx-forum/

Danny

Link please.

If you are alluding to "Set Affinity" - I really have my doubts, unfortunately.

Kyle Weber (Private Pilot, ASEL; Flight Test Engineer)
Check out my repaints and downloads, all right here on AVSIM

Link please.

yes that's what i meant

yes that's what i meant

Set Affinity won't work, FS9 was only coded to work with single core processors.

Danny

Set Affinity won't work, FS9 was only coded to work with single core processors.

the video shows all cores working while fs9 is on, am i wrong? :Thinking: :Shocked: Anyways, 1 core or 4, all I know is that I'm getting 70-200fps with Rex, UTX and many other addons.

There is a utility that sets it automatically every time you run it. When I check the task manager, it shows that the four physical cores are working, but I did not notice any difference in the sim in terms of FPS. However, I am sure it will help if you are running other external programs running along side FS like Active Sky.

Naif Almazroa

My Youtube channel:

https://www.youtube.com/user/Youmou0205

Link please.

I have a good machine, and it runs both sims w/ no problem. However I ran across the video the other day regarding multi core use w/ FS9. I loaded w/ FS9, task manager, PFE, ASE , displayed FPM at top and used OD clouds in SEA w/ heavy snow and rain, and it took it on w/out a hitch. This works, and hence will and have been using HD clouds. FPM locked at 21, stayed at 21.8/9 through it all. I even had FSwidgets, and the internet running, this w/ MD-11, and any other acrft I have which is a resource user. As I said, my humble machine, cut through it all like butter. I have never used HD clouds. Give it a go, chk it for your self.

I find this thread fascinating. With the hardware listed in my sig, my fps bounces around wildly between 55.5 & 63.5 (there are occasional spikes to triple digits, but only for a brief moment), yet the OP says they are getting 70-100fps (I even read a 200fps in one of her posts) on near identical hardware? I don't have any Vsync enabled that I'm aware of, so what am I missing?

I run FS9.1, GE pro, UT, REX, and FS Genesis 19m mesh in full screen mode. I mainly fly Carenado GA aircraft.

There is a utility that sets it automatically every time you run it. When I check the task manager, it shows that the four physical cores are working, but I did not notice any difference in the sim in terms of FPS. However, I am sure it will help if you are running other external programs running along side FS like Active Sky.

"There is a utility that sets it automatically every time you run it".....What, where is this, That would be nice to have.

P.S. Previous post above should have been 22 locked not 21

Are you referring to program priority set through FSAutostart?

In my experience, setting it to anything but normal can induce even more stutters or instability/CTDs over time.

Kyle Weber (Private Pilot, ASEL; Flight Test Engineer)
Check out my repaints and downloads, all right here on AVSIM