Sign in to follow this  
jcomm

Got the Zero... looking forward for the p-40 :-)

In the same way someone could love doing an trans-atlantic flight with autopilot enabled.

Something I would never find remotely interesting, yet you would never, ever catch me on the FSX forums asking why MS put the feature in.

I think there is a big difference there.

There is no simulation in flying a cockpitless plane while flying with autopilot enabled is still up to you.

To me Flight not having cockpit means they kill the simulation aspect.

That would kill any RC simulators...

I love airshows, I like observing the aircraft flying around/above/bellow me when I got to the airfield, I'd like to see my own glider in formation when flying with others in RL... I can do all of that in FLIGHT using cockpitless/inexpensive yet physicaly credible airplane models like the p51 and the Zero so far ...

I think there is a big difference there.

There is no simulation in flying a cockpitless plane while flying with autopilot enabled is still up to you.

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

Uninstaller since July 2012 when MS canceled MS FLIGHT... (will never thrust them for flightims again...)

...trans-atlantic flight with autopilot enabled.

Something I would never find remotely interesting...

Don't worry, it's not nearly as boring as it sounds. They use time compression too.

So what if they kill the simulation aspect? They're only killing it for people who buy the basic aircraft, not everyone else. The very fact that cockpitless aircraft exist in Flight doesn't taint Flight, any more than having them in FSX taints FSX.

Hook

Larry Hookins

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;

R/C flying (the real thing, not simulated) is moving towards 'a cockpit view' with all the electronic FPV addons that you can now buy. There is a small FPV aircraft coming out soon where the plane mounted camera streams video down to the R/C transmitter, so you can look AT the plane at the same time as seeing the world FROM the plane.

As a sim flyer I have resisted buying the cockpitless DLC but as a video maker I can see myself downloading a nice looking cockpitless plane simply to use as a prop in a video. Most movies featuring aircraft make minimal use of the cockpit and more time on the dynamic shots as the aircraft zooms past...

Life's far too short for much of the negative emotion expressed over these things...

Some would say that life itself is a game, so this is all about games within games anyway :)

That would kill any RC simulators...

I love airshows, I like observing the aircraft flying around/above/bellow me when I got to the airfield, I'd like to see my own glider in formation when flying with others in RL... I can do all of that in FLIGHT using cockpitless/inexpensive yet physicaly credible airplane models like the p51 and the Zero so far ...

It's not a RC simulator.

Anyways, keep enjoying your cockpitless planes. I am basically done with Flight.

It's very sad how things are turning out.

Don't worry, it's not nearly as boring as it sounds. They use time compression too.

So what if they kill the simulation aspect? They're only killing it for people who buy the basic aircraft, not everyone else. The very fact that cockpitless aircraft exist in Flight doesn't taint Flight, any more than having them in FSX taints FSX.

Hook

They'd be destroying what Flight simulation meant in the beginning.

And everyone is entitled to their opinions of what is fun, which was more my point than anything else.

There are a ton of flight simulators out there, which is why I am very thankful the "unwashed masses" (like me) now have something appealing for them.

But this dead horse has been beaten way too many times in the past few months, so excuse me while I bow out of this rehash.

Don't worry, it's not nearly as boring as it sounds.

That's good to hear, having never done I probably shouldn't comment on it at all. I sort of glaze over doing jobs at times, so I imagine it like an extended version of that.

I would love a random failure mechanic so I could use my emergency checklist.

They'd be destroying what Flight simulation meant in the beginning.

I see the cockpitless planes as "in addition to" the deluxe models, not "in place of" deluxe models we didn't get. If there were simply no basic planes released, but the same number of deluxe models, how would this be better?

Hook

Larry Hookins

I see the cockpitless planes as "in addition to" the deluxe models, not "in place of" deluxe models we didn't get. If there were simply no basic planes released, but the same number of deluxe models, how would this be better?

Hook

I only ask for planes like the Maule or RV6. Nothing less.

It's their game, they can kill it in the best way they want.

I feel the same way regarding cockpit-less aircraft. However, I'm not going to say how I really feel about all this or I'll get banned from the forum for giving my opinion. I guess it's just the love of simming and using cockpit controls to fly. I'll buy Alaska probably....but I'll use the planes I already have and enjoy looking out the windows at the beautiful scenery below.

Stan

Some of the comments indicate people believe there will never be another plane with a cockpit again. Heck, if that were the case, then a lot more of us would be upset.

Alaska will surely include at least one plane with a cockpit (like the RV in Hawaii) and at least one more for sale separately (Like the Maule in Hawaii) and maybe even one or two more. There may or may not be a cockpitless plane released with Alaska.

Hook

Larry Hookins

Those are reasonable assumptions, but still assumptions. Likely ones, I'll grant you, but still... the only thing we know for a fact is the current trend.

Those are reasonable assumptions, but still assumptions. Likely ones, I'll grant you, but still... the only thing we know for a fact is the current trend.

Exactly. Wouldn't surprise me at all at this point if all of the newer aircraft came with no cockpit, hope to be proven wrong.

The P-40 is my fav warbird, love the A2A version. I really want to be excited about it, but I will have to wait.

Best, Michael

KDFW

the only thing we know for a fact is the current trend.

The current "trend" includes ONE definite point, the A6M Zero. A lot of people are making way too much soup out of one oyster.

The Mustang isn't part of the current trend. It was included with the original DLC.. if that's part of the trend then the Maule is too.

Granted, the next plane is likely to be cockpitless. I suspect the next one as well. Akaska should come with some better aircraft.

Hook

Larry Hookins

Guest ecg

I bought the P51 just to see what it was like, I use it once in a while for aerocaching.

Not buying the Zero or ?P40? I just don't think I would use them very much.

MSFT should have released the 3 warbirds as a pack, say for $15 and also released a VC plane.

This way everyone would be happier.

Looking forward to Alaska and wishing for a VC float plane.

-ed

Eveyone is entitled to his own oppinion, and the fact that I am accepting very well the cockpitless aircraft and having fun with it doesn't mean I gave up on detailled models!

And, when I poll this forum daily I look fwd to read everyone's oppinion, specially when it comes from members like you and many others who have long presence here and are devoted to flight simulation, just like me, for a long time!

So, [i can't / I believe I never] criticise any of you for doing so, and instead simply try to contribute with my own description of just how I can get joy from those cockpitless models...

I bought them, even if I don't really like war airplanes, because they look good from the outside - something even the most cockpit/systems orientend simmer likes to see in a model...) and after trying the first - p51 - I confirmed that the FM wasn't simple crap (quite the contrary IMHO...). When I tested the Zero yesterday I was also very positively impressed.

These models are also inexpensive, and for years my simulator platforms costed a little fortune I should have better invested in useful - for me and those who share a life with me - things! So,,, I am all for this FLIGHT concept of simplicity, no need for a huge investment in hardware to use it, and some way to "disciplinate" new simmers not to do with their money what I did with mine...

It's exactly the same as giving our children too many and sometimes expensive - when we can... - presents, or looking for this or that hi-tech product we would like to have because our neighbour has it... cosumerism is the word....

New, probably younger, simmers introduced to the world of fliht simulation through FLIGHT can learn to profit from what they gather with each DLC they decide to buy, enjoying the most features it brings, taking time to enjoy it, instead of constantly jumping between aircraft, buying yet new ones, sceneries from 3pd, etc... And familiy members can play for a while not compromising their familiy plans beacause they're pretending to be flying professionaly...

Sorry for the "filosophical" post...

This all being said, of course I do hope that we get some really good detailled model with ALASKA!

I feel the same way regarding cockpit-less aircraft. However, I'm not going to say how I really feel about all this or I'll get banned from the forum for giving my opinion. I guess it's just the love of simming and using cockpit controls to fly. I'll buy Alaska probably....but I'll use the planes I already have and enjoy looking out the windows at the beautiful scenery below.

Stan

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

Uninstaller since July 2012 when MS canceled MS FLIGHT... (will never thrust them for flightims again...)