Sign in to follow this  
Bman2006

3H2Go Matrox (x3 22") transistion to 42" LED LCD

I am considering trying out a larger LCD display in-lieu of my current Matrox 3H2G0 set up (3x22") monitors. I want to make sure I am not missing a wow factor. I have a couple of questions

1) Has anyone else made that transition in either direction - large screen to 3H2Go or 3H2Go to a single large screen? What were your impressions? Better, worse, different - ultimately what was your preference?

2) What is your recommendation on a good LCD LED that has quick response time. I don't want lag.

The matrox has been great and is great but my performance does take a high running at 5040 x 1050 resolution. To help mitigate the impact, I am considering the single display.

Thanks for your input-

Benjamin

Benjamin Van Eps

Hi Benjamin

I have recently done this. Over the years, I have tried all the "immersion" creating systems, including projection. I have now returned to single screen using peripheral screens for undocked panels. This is my best experience so far. And, my friend and fellow simmer flew it last evening and 'gobsmacked' was his reaction. My main monitor is now a Dell Ultra 30", and I don't see any need to go higher. Your LCD idea may come at limited resolution. Mine is 2560 x 1600. It really is "Wow!"

I'd like to attach a picture of last night's action , but I'm not sure how to do it.

Regards

Regards

Frank Jones

Thanks Frank. This is my current setup and its been working great.

Is the 5040x1050 resolution that is taking me out to lunch with the better, higher resolution, precision aircraft and scenery on the market. I need to make up a little ground just so things are a little more fluid. I am so use to the setup, I am scared to change.

The resolution of the LCD I am looking at is only 1920x1080.

Use say www.photobucket.com to upload a picture there (host site) and then add the link to your post here.

I really want to give it a try... just not at the $750 price tag.

DSC05003.jpg

Benjamin Van Eps

This is "live" exchange. It's nearly 06.00 here. What's the time with you? And, how can I attach a pic?

I don't think you will find the 1920 x 1080 resolution satisfactory. You have in mind an HD tv , I suspect.

My 2560 x 1600 is a 16:10 ratio, which is noticeably better than the more usual 16:9 and with 50% more vertical pixels you can imagine the difference, which would be worse on the larger screen.

Regards

Frank Jones

It's 12am here (CST - Missouri). Still staying up late wondering what I should do. You have a point about the resolution.

I only know what I am use to and that's the picture above. I stood in front of the 40" screens to day with my face 30" from the screen and it didn't look bad. What I need to do is hook my computer up to the 55" screen I have up in the living room and see how that does...

To post a picture, you need to use a hosting site like www.photobucket.com. Then you just copy the link into your response.

Benjamin Van Eps

I just recently made a switch myself. I went from three 23inch LCD's in Eyefinity to one Samsung 6000 series 40inch 1080p (1920x1080) LED-LCD... Gaming immersion is much better and don't regret it a single bit.

ASUS ROG STRIX Z390-E GAMING / i9-9900k @ 4.7 all cores w/ NOCTUA NH-D15S / 2080ti / 32GB G.Skill 3200 RIPJAWS / 1TB Evo SSD / 500GB Evo SSD /  2x 3TB HDD / CORSAIR CRYSTAL 570X / IPSG 850W 80+ PLATINUM / Dual 4k Monitors 

Thanks for the posting link. I will try that after breakfast. You should sleep on it, and hopefully see my pics in the morning.

Just to add, I would never go to such a low res on a larger screen. My screen is about 3 feet from my eyes and the sharpness and clarity is amazing. I know, as another has pointed out, the Dell is expensive but IMHO - worth it.

Hopefully the pics will show this. They are of my friend - not the handsome chap you see on the left :Nail Biting:

Regards

Frank Jones

Currently running 1080p on a 40" samsung LED-LCD -- looks great and immersion is good, can't speak for setting up with 3 monitors with Triple H2G -- I might try it later down the road ; will I need a super super vga card to run it at such high resolution? Currently have a 560 TI ; FPS is struggling but I think that is more to do with my cpu (955 phenom 3.8 ghz) and hope to upgrade to ivy bridge when it comes out.

Soarbywire - Avionics Engineering

My resolution won't really be decreasing all that much.

Currently I am running 5040 x 1050.... which is (3x) 1650 x 1050. The new LCD would be 1920 ... a lot more distance to cover vertically however as you note.

Omni, the FPS is my #1 issue I am running up against. Running at 5040 wide is taking a toll and it's all adding up. Higher res planes, higher res scenery and 10x different widgets and I will drop to 15 range. That is seriously lagging for a CPU clocked at 4.7 GHZ and a nicely optimized fsx.cfg ... and a 2.5gb 570 GTX.

If I drop down to one screen, 1650x1050, I peg at 30 no matter where I am at, no matter what I am in.

So really, this is about FPS battle. Otherwise, I would sit tight with the 3x22"

I just recently made a switch myself. I went from three 23inch LCD's in Eyefinity to one Samsung 6000 series 40inch 1080p (1920x1080) LED-LCD... Gaming immersion is much better and don't regret it a single bit.

That's good to here. That's what I am looking at as well - UN40EH6000 (Samsung 40"). It looks nice.

So, why did you change from the 23"s? What was your hangup in general that caused you to drop the cash?

Benjamin Van Eps

In our Fs club I tried with a 40inch HD tv . Looks great but I prefer my TH2Go with 3 x.26" .

Much wider view and feels more realistic to me.

13900 8 cores @ 5.5-5.8 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.3 GHz (hyperthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D4 - GSkill Ripjaws 2x 16 Gb 4266 mhz @ 3200 mhz / cas 13 -  Inno3D RTX4090 X3 iCHILL 24 Gb - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 1Tb - Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Thermaltake Level 10 GT case - EKWB Extreme 240 liquid cooling set push/pull - 2x 55’ Sony 4K tv's as front view and right view.

13600  6 cores @ 5.1 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.0 GHz (hypterthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D - GSkill Trident 4x Gb 3200 MHz cas 15 - Asus TUF RTX 4080 16 Gb  - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 2x  Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Corsair D4000 Airflow case - NXT Krajen Z63 AIO liquide cooling - 1x 65” Sony 4K tv as left view.

FOV : 190 degrees

My flightsim vids :  https://www.youtube.com/user/fswidesim/videos?shelf_id=0&sort=dd&view=0

Gerard - thanks for the input! That's ultimately what I need to hear also. Folks who have tried both.

Not I have to opposing views... you who tried both and liked the 3H2Go better and Bill who has no regrets about going to the 40" single.

Who wins out :)

Benjamin Van Eps

Keep the 3x22" and add 3 more. (2x th2go)

Switch from VC to 2D, and retain your frames.

Thats the setup I have, and with this you need to actually look around with your head in stead of looking only forward the whole time.

I keep 30 frames in most cases this way.

You can see it working in my videos.

PS: more realistic imho, in a real plane you always see the panel in front of you, in a VC you dont.

You are not still up! I've looked at that link and don't fancy it. I never use Facebook or its like - just a thing with me.

Unless there is a "less exposed" way I am afraid I can't post those pics.

In any case, you are getting a number of opinions and will soon be spoilt for choice. I've only been doing this for about 20 years, so what do I know? :Straight Face:

Regards

Frank Jones

Facebook? Photobucket.com is not facebook. Regardless, you can use your image hosting service of choice There are many many free and perfectly fine ones out there. Most are drag and drop and free to use.

Yeah, I am at this about 20 years my self. Actually since Sublogic but there was a long break in there in the middle during HS / college. So really, only going strong for 15 years now cutting out the early stuff. I have run the gammot and just looking for the best solution. There is only one way to find out!

Johan - drop the VC + TrackIR?! Oh man.... :)

Benjamin Van Eps