Sign in to follow this  
maverickr

FS9.cfg

Just how many FS9.cfg files should one person have. I've been wondering why I have three. I would think you should only have one.

I didn't put them there. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong but I guess I need to eyeball all three and hopefully they would

all be the same, then I could delete two of them. But, if they are different, which one do I keep? How is a .cfg file built in simple

terms?

Thanks, Mike

Hi Mike.

Which folders are the cfg files in? One in your FS9 directory, one in your user's documents & settings folder, and one in a backup folder in docs & settings by any chance? I've wondered the same thing but never bothered to investigate as they take up so little space.

Try renaming them temporarily to fs9.xxx, make a couple of flights, then see which have been recreated.

The file is built by FS9 itself and is essentially a text version of your slider settings, read at startup to recover your last configuration. If you have a bad memory, don't delete (temporary disable only)... as FS9 will make a new one containing only the basic defaults, and you'll never remember all your tweaks.

Cheers,

D

The fs9.cfg which is in C:\Users\UserName\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FS9 is the one which FS9 uses when you are flying.

I only fly a couple of a/c - a Cessna 172 and a Piper PA-28 - so I have two .cfg files which I name fs9 C172.cfg and fs9 pa-28.cfg. When, for example, I want to fly the Cessna I rename its file to fs9.cfg and away I go with the correct settings for that a/c. And so on and so forth ....

Hope this helps.

David

Just curious to know what advantage is there in having different fs9.cfg for different aircraft???

Hello Dave. All three files are in myname\appdata\roaming\microsoft\fs9. One is typed FS9. one is fs9.cfg. And one is typed fs9.CFG.

But after reading what David and RJ wrote, it seems it doesn't make any difference how many you have. But, should they all be

IDENTICAL?

Thanks to all three of you.

BTW. Have any of you heard or know where to find "programs.exe"? I'm trying to undo myself as administrator and use a

standard account. I was told to "log on using an administrator account. Right click the programs.exe file and click "run as administrator'

I figured if this lets me run as administrator, maybe it will let me undo administrator rights.

One is typed FS9. one is fs9.cfg. And one is typed fs9.CFG.

Go to Control Panel>Folder Options>View tab and remove the check from "Hide extensions for known file types". Then "Apply to Folders".

But after reading what David and RJ wrote, it seems it doesn't make any difference how many you have. But, should they all be IDENTICAL?

After you follow my first tip you will see that 2 of those files have a .txt extension. Those files are created when FS9 crashes and are there to be forwarded to Microsoft if you say yes when asked if you want to tell Microsoft about the crash. Don't bother telling Microsoft about the crash, there is nobody there to receive the info, much less do anything about it.

No, those files don't need to be identical, in fact you can safely delete any that have the .txt extension. FS9 only uses the FS9.cfg.

BTW. Have any of you heard or know where to find "programs.exe"? I'm trying to undo myself as administrator and use a

standard account. I was told to "log on using an administrator account. Right click the programs.exe file and click "run as administrator'

I figured if this lets me run as administrator, maybe it will let me undo administrator rights.

I think you misunderstood. That should be "right-click on the programs <space> .exe and select "run as administrator".

For FS9 that file would be FS9.exe and is found in the root Flight Simulator 9 folder.

All programs have an .exe file, or executable, that launches the program.

regards,

Joe

The best gift you can give your children is your time.

sigbar.gif