Hi

To be honest from what I understand about SSD's the benefit is load time only. Stutters will still occur if FSX is not setup correctly. FSX is CPU hungry not GPU hungry so a faster drive such as the ssd's is not going to make that much difference IMHO.

That said if I was building a new machine I would opt for

1x SSD for the OS

3x 1TB 10,000rpm drives

That would more than fulfil my needs for a PC that could have one drive isolated for FSX and all FSX related software and addons. One drive for serious applications such as web design photoshop and Office etc and then the thrid drive for storage of music, photos etc.

This is similar to what I have now with three HDD's and one external drive, I might buy a solid state drive and transfer the OP onto that.

Anyway, as I always say you's pay your money and you takes your choice.

Wycliffe

Ivy Bridge 3770k

Early tests have shown little to no benefit over the current SB chips. Unless are willing to take the risk of shelling out a lot of money for a brand new technology, I would strongly recommend that you stay with SB.

The SB lineup have proven to be a very stable and reliable OC series.

But we don't have hardly any tests with FSX do we? I can't imagine no benefit to be had by newer tech...

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

But we don't have hardly any tests with FSX do we? I can't imagine no benefit to be had by newer tech...

No we don't. But take a look at this, and tell me you have hope (for FSX):

http://www.xtremesys...dge-comparison.

And then this:

@ 1.1V IB runs 4,25C hotter then SB with HT off. (16.03%)

@ 1.2V IB runs 10,75C hotter then SB with HT off. (36.44%)

@ 1.3V IB runs 15,00C hotter then SB with HT off. (44.11%)

@ 1.4V IB runs 24,75C hotter then SB with HT off. (65.56%)

1.3V 44% more heat?? Not something I would like under my watercooler. Even my "bad" SB has only up to 70c on high load.

Hopefully you are right, and considering this is a fresh build for me, I will get more bang-for-the-buck than someone moving up from SB (hopefully). This is also the reason I am waiting on purchasing anything until we get some FSX specific info for IB, PCIe3, etc.

You loose TRIM, and RAIDs only help when you have multiple operations running on the drive. Since SSD's already support concurrency, and usually larger SSD's can serve more concurrent operations (if they have more NAND Flash modules) it's sort of pointless to RAID-0 them

I am not totally up to speed on all the features of SSds; it is my understanding that TRIM is the clean-up process on SSDs to keep them running at optimal performance, is this correct (I will take a more in-depth "Google" look at this later today)?

And since we are on the topic of SSDs... I have read that Intel SSDs have a proprietary SandForce 22XX controller/driver/something. Does this improve reliability, speed, and/or overall performance or would I be better off going with an OCZ Vertex 3 or Corsair FS3? This is for both the FSX drive (240GB since I will be moving away from RAID0) and the OS drive (60GB).

- Jordan Jafferjee -

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X3D | Asus X670-E Pro Prime | Gigabyte RTX4080 Eagle | 64G G.Skill Trident Z.5 DDR5-6000 |  Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | 2x2TB Samsung 990 Pro NVME | NZXT H7 | Win 11 22H2 | TM Warthog Flight Stick + Throttle | Honeycomb Alpha + Bravo | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | Samsung 43" Odyssey Neo G7 | Dell U3415W