Sign in to follow this  
pow0011

777 Ground Ops

I was curious to know what it's like operating the 777-200/300 on the ground. It checked the lengths and it's close to the A340-600 in length and a fully loaded aircraft. Just wondering how challenging it is to taxi in, especially since I sometimes have trouble fitting the 737 into tight spots when taxiing from the cockpit.

The 200-LRF isnt that bad in real life. Pretty easy, the bogey steering does help.

My Fathers on the 777, he mentioned that it is a breeze to handle with the taxi cam and EFB. It's funny how he loves all the technology now. I can remember (not that long ago) when he still used a type writer and wanted to retire on the 747 classic.

Rob Prest

My mate loves taxing the 300's with the Cam. They say that the Right rudder pedal for the Captain and Left Rudder pedal for the F/O is where the nose gear is directly under. So from that getting it on the center line is easy.

Of course the onboard cameras make it very easy (depending on whether thats included or not). But it's always nice to know where the nosewheel is in reference to something in the cockpit.

My Fathers on the 777, he mentioned that it is a breeze to handle with the taxi cam and EFB. It's funny how he loves all the technology now. I can remember (not that long ago) when he still used a type writer and wanted to retire on the 747 classic.

Haha,

Oh we should get a taxi cam on the A333, I'm a bag of nerves taxing that thing around tight places....

Funny that attitude of your Father, I remember when I was in University, and I had a lecturer who told us, that this was our era, and no matter what, we would stubbornly refuse to leave it, to like new music, use new technology, adapt to new social norms.

Just to spite him, I'd like to consider I'm now fairly tech-savy, up to date with all the new music and trends. Keeps you young at heart.

OT, I'd say the camera's make a big difference to the ease of taxiing in tight spots...

Capt. Rónán O Cadhain.

Rónán O Cadhain.

sig_FSLBetaTester.jpg

Are the cameras an airline option?

I know the EFB is that's why you will see a clipboard in its place if the airline didn't go for it.

It is standard on the 300ER, is it not?

A lot of aircraft have a 'physical' camera on the nose and on the tail for the IFE systems (e.g. The old EK 330's flying with Virgin Australia these days). However, these cams do not stream to the any of the cockpit displays, they are solely for the IFE system

I remember asking a retired Cathay 777 big wig how you taxied the thing. He said the first technique he remembered was basically don't start the turn until the edge of the runway or taxiway you were turning on to basically disappeared underneath the nose.

Are the cameras an airline option?

No that's standard on the 777-300/ER. Not available on the 772. As said the EFB is optional. Like an Airline like British Airways were they had none in the 772 so they didn't put any in their 77W's.