Sign in to follow this  
ErichB

iPad Apps

Hi all

Which iPad apps are the recommended apps for flightsim ?. I know it is relative to what you intend doing - just wondering whether there is an 'essentials' list ..

I'm interested in any quality, worthwhile apps which have general/specific use. But there is also loads of rubbish about, so interested in views.

Cheers

I got Airtrack the other day and it's brilliant.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Richard

7950x3d   |   32Gb 6000mHz RAM   |   8Tb NVme   |   RTX 4090    |    MSFS    |    P3D    |      XP12  

For current, real world charts for the entire US I think Skycharts is a screaming deal. If you use it in xPlane it will connect as a moving map. Hard to ask for more than that! There are other sim specific apps and even more expensive real world aviation apps out there. What someone has not managed to do (and it just amazes me to no end) is create a way to connect the GPS output from FSX/P3d/FS2004/xPlane to feed into the external GPS input for the iPad/iPhone. This would open up geo referenced approach plates from Foreflight and the positional information for the Jepp FD and be a real familiarity training tool for using the iPad in the cockpit (plus a lot of fun for simmers).

Dr Zane Gard

Posted Image

Sr Staff Reviewer AVSIM

Private Pilot ASEL since 1986 IFR 2010

AOPA 00915027

American Mensa 100314888

Fltplan.com's app is nice if you fly ga and/or corporate stuff in North America. Free charts for Canada and US, and they are constantly adding new features

JeppFD is nice, but only good with a subsrciption $$$

Sporty's E6B

And like Zane, I would love to see a way to connect position info from FS into JeppFD! I would pay 9.99 for that! Haha

And like Zane, I would love to see a way to connect position info from FS into JeppFD! I would pay 9.99 for that! Haha

I'd pay $50... maybe even $100 cause sitting at home simming is such a safer way to get familiarity with equipment that can distract you from flying the plane.

Dr Zane Gard

Posted Image

Sr Staff Reviewer AVSIM

Private Pilot ASEL since 1986 IFR 2010

AOPA 00915027

American Mensa 100314888

Many thanks for the views chaps. I will check these out

Edit: I'm loving the Remote HD radio /AP app. Fab

Best

Regarding comments on getting GPS data into Apps, see GPSsimcable.com . I haven't tried it yet (it's on order), but it looks good.

Jim

FS Kneeboard 2 is a great IPAD app.

5Take Care, Will Clark

My computer: Intel 14900K, Motherboard ROR Maximus Z790 Formula, PSU Dark Power 1600, Ram DDR5 (7200) Vengeance 32GB CL38, ASUS 4090, Keyboard Logitech ASUS, Mouse ROCCAT LEADR Wireless, Corsair M.2 SSD 4TB x2, Headset Astro A50 Wireless, Microphone Elgato Wave 3, Stream Deck Elgato XL, GoXLR, Loopdeck Live, Chair Steelcase Gesture with Headrest, Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic XL ROG White, Custom Built water cooling, Ek Lian li xl distro plate, Fittings EK & Bitspower, Monitor LG C1 48 OLED, Desk Speakers Audio Engine A5+ White.

Airtrack is very useful navigation app which I use on both the ipad and iphone. The price is a little high but I think well worth it. I have iGMapHD and RadioStackX, but have been using airtrack almost exclusively. It's especially helpful if you want a glass cockpit when flying older planes with analog gauges.

Brian Riggs

PPL 2001

Regarding comments on getting GPS data into Apps, see GPSsimcable.com . I haven't tried it yet (it's on order), but it looks good.

Jim

I might order this sometime. I wonder why the developer chose to use a serial cable, though? (I know there are adaptors!)

On an unrelated note, I flew earlier this month on an E190 and the iPad's GPS receiver actually worked in the cabin the whole flight with great accuracy. We were smack on the filed route in Jepp FD. Usually I can't get a signal in a tubeliner without an external antenna input.