Sign in to follow this  
jackcnd

Able to sell others on Flight ?

Reading accross this thread I admit I feel martian.... What the <censored> :blush: is happening with me who, quite on the contrary, feel great about MS FLIGHT, like hunting aerocaches, flying Jobs, tasting the feel of the various aircraft, either "deluxe" or cockpitless, the great weather, secenery and visuals overall????

I am looking forward for Alaska, the scenery, the custom weather typical of the area, new aircraft, new missions, aerocaches, whatever!

Really, there most be something going on with me :Monkey:

Since I started using MS FLIGHT I stopped using even Condor!!! I do start ELITE just because I love shooting an approach to LPPT flying from Montijo Airbase (I live near there...) under IMC... and just like MS FLIGHT, I have long ago fell in love with ELITE... I did consider Aerofly FS, and very recently DCS-p51, but I am glad I didn't invest on either of those, the former because for gliders I have Condor or SW, the latter because I really wouldn't feel great flying and shooting tanks or other enemy targets... I'd rather Aerocache-hunt for a while in MS FILGHT :-)

I do look forward for Aerowinx PSX. Aerowinx PS1 was my preferred flightsim, together with Flight Unlimited 3, before MS FLIGHT. Meanwhile, I feel really happy with what I have :-)

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

Uninstaller since July 2012 when MS ceased development of MS FLIGHT...

Nothing is wrong with you, jcomm (although I did edit a word in your post that still was too recognizable :wink: ). Keep on enjoying Flight and let no one stop you from doing so!

I do understand the problems people have with Flight. It all comes down to lack of content. Or better said: a lack of content compared to FSX and other (flying) games. I think that when you ask people what they think about Flight WITHOUT comparing it to other games/sims, they will all say that it's nice and great and all, but... it's impossible to NOT compare Flight with other games/sims...

It was sheer luck that I didn't know much about VOR yet: Flight forced me to learn all about it and all about approach charts. That kept me busy for a few months. But I also haven't started Flight for more then two weeks now. Not because I think it sucks... on the contrary: I think Flight ROCKS! I even uninstalled FSX last weekend because Flight is THE flying game/som for me! But Flight just doesn't offer enough right now... If it hadn't been for VORs etc. I probably would have stopped playing Flight even sooner. Again, not because I think it's a bad sim but it simply doesn't offer enough to keep me entertained.

What I personally need to keep me entertained? All I need is Alaska, really. :wink: I am pretty easily satisfied and only need new destinations. I am fed up with flying to the same airports all the time and flying over water almost all the time. I am 100% sure Alaska will keep me entertained for quite some time, probably/surely a lot longer then Hawaii because Alaska simply is bigger and has more airports. That's all I need. I don't even need other planes or updates like ATC or traffic, although obviously I won't moan when things like that are added... :wink:

What Flight offers right now is PERFECT for my needs but it just lacks content. Alaska will keep me entertained until the next DLC region for sure! And everything else will be a welcome bonus.

No, there is nothing wrong with you. Many people, including myself, are content with where things are and may yet go (or not go... some might be happy with a couple of planes and a lot of land). Many of the said same would be reasonably tolerant of a slow start to things because good things can take time. However, if the intention was to make an impact in the market and win it over... well that strategy might be less than successful.

I would contend that nothing in this thread has been aimed at "bashing" Flight in any way. Rather, it's a commentary on a great opportunity that is loosing steam due to questionable decisions. Someone noted earlier that it is very hard to re-gain enthusiasm in a title after you loose interest in the same. I know that is true for me. I quit Flight 2 months ago and have since invested more than $300 in add-ons for FSX to get it up to semi-par with Flight's graphics and smoothness. Obviously I would have preferred not to spend that amount of dough, but that's what Flight made me do! Bad, bad Flight!! Flight simulators/games is what I do for fun on a computer. Period (Well, some solitaire once in a while). So I feel pretty strongly about a lost opportunity like Flight.

I will buy Alaska for sure and give it another go, but it better be more than just a new area to do the "same old" in.

Tom :hi:

I know that is true for me.

Bad, bad Flight!! Flight simulators/games is what I do for fun on a computer.

The problem with a flight sim is that there are many ways of playing and hence enjoying or not enjoying it. It's not like a soccer game in which you can only play soccer or a first person shooter in which you can only shoot. Flying games can be enjoyed in many different ways. Two persons may say the love FSX but when you ask what they like about it you may find out there love doesn't share a single thing aspect of the game. One may like flying low and slow hanging in the air behind a Cessna and the other one may like looking at the panel of a 737NGX. And two people may say they love Flight but one does so because of the aerocaches while the other loves doing real world approaches...

Flight isn't bad. You can't simply say it is bad. Why not? Because it's quite apparent that some people LOVE Flight... so it seems to be doing something good...! At the same time you can't say Flight is good because a lot of people don't er... like it, to put it mildly.

So when you said 'it's true for me' you hit the right spot. It's all VERY subjective. The biggest problem with Flight is that

1. some people (maybe a lot, I don't know) don't take Flight on its own merits but keep on seeing it as a failed new version of FSX

2. they just can't let go and keep on talking about it instead of having fun with the sim they DO like

3. Flight lacks content for most people

4. and the content that people would like to see added differs from person to person.

The only solution for these problems:

1. know that Flight is not FS

2. accept that

3. you can't say anything about how good or bad Flight is until MS has been given the opportunity to develop the game a bit more and add more content

4. and then still it will be a matter of personal preference.

In a year or so everyone will be able to make up their OWN mind about Flight and decide if it is good or not. Until then it's all speculation, personal taste, personal preferences, etc. so... if you like Flight, play it and talk about it on this forum. If you don't like Flight (in its current state), don't play it and well, still talk about it on this forum :wink: but always with this in mind: You Might Want to Read this Real Close

I quit Flight 2 months ago and have since invested more than $300 in add-ons for FSX to get it up to semi-par with Flight's graphics and smoothness

Unfortunately, and I believe I will be punished by what I am about to write, but, speaking from my RL flying experience that's exactly what I feel and so I think I am authoritative to express my thoughts..., with all that stuff, great stuff certainly, you invested in, and even with the best A2A, RealAir or Aerosoft, Carenado... add-ons, MS FLIGHT somehow got it right from the beginning, without being that expensive. and it's models have the best flight physics I ever found on any of the MSFS series... even when compared to the best add-ons for fs9/fsx...

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

Uninstaller since July 2012 when MS ceased development of MS FLIGHT...

The problem with a flight sim is that there are many ways of playing and hence enjoying or not enjoying it. It's not like a soccer game in which you can only play soccer or a first person shooter in which you can only shoot. Flying games can be enjoyed in many different ways. Two persons may say the love FSX but when you ask what they like about it you may find out there love doesn't share a single thing aspect of the game. One may like flying low and slow hanging in the air behind a Cessna and the other one may like looking at the panel of a 737NGX. And two people may say they love Flight but one does so because of the aerocaches while the other loves doing real world approaches...

Flight isn't bad. You can't simply say it is bad. Why not? Because it's quite apparent that some people LOVE Flight... so it seems to be doing something good...! At the same time you can't say Flight is good because a lot of people don't er... like it, to put it mildly.

So when you said 'it's true for me' you hit the right spot. It's all VERY subjective. The biggest problem with Flight is that

1. some people (maybe a lot, I don't know) don't take Flight on its own merits but keep on seeing it as a failed new version of FSX

2. they just can't let go and keep on talking about it instead of having fun with the sim they DO like

3. Flight lacks content for most people

4. and the content that people would like to see added differs from person to person.

I see a similar dynamic in a racing sim forum every time the topic of Formula 1 comes up. Most posters like F1 and discussing the races, but there are always some who whinge and moan about "boring races" or "it was so much better in the old days" rather than just accepting it for what it is or just walking away. It's weird that some people get irate when others don't see things the way they themselves do.

MS has a good idea with Flight, DLC as I has said before is the way of future games. It can help them live past there primes of just being a boxed game. Its proven in other games and especially the former flight sims. I myself have only been on flight once since the end of March. I come here once and a while to check on things. Will I be buying Alaska on release....No. I will wait and see some of the peoples posts here I follow alot and see what they have to say about.

Flight could have been so much more than it is now if MS took a different path than they did with the DLC. Releasing dual DLCs of each plane might have been a better idea for those willing to pay more for cockpits. There are still places in Hawaii I have not flown too, I am just bored of the currect cockpit planes.

Unfortunately, and I believe I will be punished by what I am about to write, but, speaking from my RL flying experience that's exactly what I feel and so I think I am authoritative to express my thoughts..., with all that stuff, great stuff certainly, you invested in, and even with the best A2A, RealAir or Aerosoft, Carenado... add-ons, MS FLIGHT somehow got it right from the beginning, without being that expensive. and it's models have the best flight physics I ever found on any of the MSFS series... even when compared to the best add-ons for fs9/fsx...

You are not the only one on the forums with RL experience and should probably realize that your experience isn't mirrored by everyone, That will gain you some credibility if you so desire. While I agree that the flight model in Flight feels better, that is not all that comes into play when enjoying a flightsim,

Best, Michael

KDFW

At first I was skeptical and even very critical of Flight. However, after watching the movie “The Descendants”, which was based in Hawaii, I became very interested in Flight because all of the sudden, Hawaii seemed big enough and much more than just a bunch of resorts on beaches.

With that said, I will give Flight a try once I am back to simming in general, and I hope that MS adds more “light sport aircraft” like the Cirrus Sr20, Cessna SkyCatcher, FD CTLS etc. I think LSAs would be good for the smaller environment in Flight.

I totaly agree with jcomm. Also speaking from a RL flying background I just like the overall feel of the aircraft in flight. I also like the ability for low level yank and bank with out losing my visual perspective. You can almost feel the G load in a tight turn. I also get the feeling that a lot of us who "get it" are of the older persuasion and come from some sort of aviation background and have been involved with flight sims for many years. Don't get me wrong, I am sure there are a lot of younger people interested for the same reasons, at least I hope so. Almost 67 and just looking for fun flying. I think FLIGHT has all that I am lookig for and I am still learning something every time I enter this wonderful, strange world of FLIGHT.

Steve A

my wife and I have even started making these phrases up and using them in meetings for a laugh

That's hilarious, but true!!

Reading accross this thread I admit I feel martian.... What the is happening with me who, quite on the contrary, feel great about MS FLIGHT, like hunting aerocaches, flying Jobs, tasting the feel of the various aircraft, either "deluxe" or cockpitless, the great weather, secenery and visuals overall?

I am with you 100%.

I would participate on this forum a lot more if it were not for the constant beating of the same dead horse topics. I thought after a few months people would grow as tired of it as I did the first week, but I underestimated the ability of forums to emit a stead drone of winge. Now I am not so sure the boo-hooing, woe-is-me will ever end, which is unfortunate.

Unfortunately the interesting topics continually get buried pretty fast by threads that digress into the same topic, and since I totally can't relate to the pessimism, I end up just not posting much. I avoid these threads at all costs, but wanted to post in solidarity, there are people that enjoy Flight a lot!

=============

To get back on topic, I have not tried to sell anyone on Flight. That is not my job. I really enjoy playing it for what it is and that is enough for me.

I don't try to sell un-ready products.

Flight is good. Really good. But it's just got too many gaping holes in it for me to want to show it to anyone. I've got a number of aviator family-members and friends who I think would enjoy Flight as much as I do, but as soon as I start showing it to them they are going to ask about aspects that simply aren't there... yet? Ever? I just don't know.

Flight made a decent start, but tripped and fell right after leaving the gate. It flopped around on the ground for a while and now may be about to get back on it's feet with Alaska. Maybe. We'll see.

Either way, I will enjoy Flight for what it is. But it needs more work before it's ready to be shown-off.