Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

WilloW_737

Yaw Damper - when to use? on or off for approach?

Hello:

A basic question - Can someone advise whether the YD should be on or off during approach?

Further, is the protocol for use of the YD the same in both the NGX and NG?

Thank you, WilloW

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

YD always on in flight during normal procedures.

NGX is just PMDGs name for NG for FSX

YD always on in flight during normal procedures.

NGX is just PMDGs name for NG for FSX

On the ground also?

I ask, as I was told it should be off on the ground, on in the air, but turned off at 400 feet.

This said, I have not found anything substantial to support this. Thanks, WilloW

Always on, also on the ground. Don't turn anything off at 400 feet, concentrate on the approach :)

Bert Van Bulck

Thanks - I appreciate your time in replying to such a simple question. Regards, WilloW

Never heard about turning it off during the approach. YD is always on, even on the groung, it's on the checklist (Preliminary Preflight Precedure - Overhead).

Only some turboprops and regional jets procedure require to turn off YD. For example, on Erj-145 YD is turned off on approach below TL.

There are two types of yaw dampers. The 737 has a "parallel" yaw damper which can be on at all times. The pedals don't move with its operation. Another type is more common on Turboprops. This actually operates the pedals for you, and thus needs to be off for takeoff and landings.

There are two types of yaw dampers. The 737 has a "parallel" yaw damper which can be on at all times. The pedals don't move with its operation. Another type is more common on Turboprops. This actually operates the pedals for you, and thus needs to be off for takeoff and landings.

Thanks for this information. I appreciate your time.

So, is there any action that requires the YD in the 737 to be turned off ?

WilloW

Thanks for this information. I appreciate your time.

So, is there any action that requires the YD in the 737 to be turned off ?

WilloW

Hmmm. Probably only a malfunctioning Y/D. There's really no other reason to turn it off. You don't want to be in the back of a -900 with the Y/D off in turbulent weather.

I remember uncommanded rudder on classic, but I don't think NGs are suffering from this and it's no NNC for such event in QRH.

Yes, the "rudder" story has developed checklists calling for YD off... But that's abnormal checklists.