Sign in to follow this  
autopilot

Two Simple Questions about B747-428?

Hello, Guys!

First look at this given picture in URL below and tell me is it a good Nose-Up at 3nm away of landing of Boeing 747-428? Flaps are 50, speed is 200knots, Altitude is 3000ft. If I reduce flaps to 33 then nose gets more up. So tell me is it good nose up near landing? If not, then how much should be the at nose 3nm of landing? Also how can I down that?

http://postimage.org/image/hjha1vlov/

Second question is that how to fully turn left or right next two wheels of B747 by keyboard? Tell me any keys please.

Regards,

AP.

With 747 on landing you are supposed to have your nose a bit up on final approach even before flare.

Also 200 knots is way too high speed with full flaps I think.

Not sure about keys as I use pedals.

What is the wind? Do you have a good descent rate? I would be more at 170 knots for full flaps.

overspeeding on full flaps, with your nose in the air and with an engine out.

Ill guess that you are overweight.

Jack Cannon

200 knots at full flaps will have the flaps breaking off. And you have the nose up on approach for 99% of aircraft in the whole world. I don't mean to spoil the party, but I'd suggest reading up on basic flying before getting to the 747. The concepts you need explained won't make any sense unless you know at least the basics.

Also 200 knots is way too high speed with full flaps I think.

On full flaps, what should be the speed of 747? I mean default speed? What do you say?

This is what I do,

At 15nm away from Airport (at 3000ft, 200knots) I do full flaps and switch air plane from GPS mode to NAV and press Approach. Then I reduce the speed to 160knots and plane lands as ILS on 160knots with full flaps. So is it the right speed to land plane? 160knots? and Is my method well?

Thanks for your co-operation.

Flaps are 50, speed is 200knots, Altitude is 3000ft. If I reduce flaps to 33 then nose gets more up.

The maximum flaps setting is 30 and that is limited to 180 knots.

Thanks,

Kevin L

Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg

There is a placard on the panel with the flap schedule on it, you should be adhering to those, go faster than those speeds with the flaps deployed and you will strain the mechanisms, although there is a flap load relief system on the real thing, but you probably won't find that simulated on the simpler FS 747s.

Your approach speeds should be based on your weight at the time, so you need to look up what speeds you should be at for the weight you have at that time. You should be aiming for a weight of no more than around 583,000 lbs on landing or you will overstress the airframe and landing gear unless it is a very gentle touchdown. So plan your fuel to make that likely when you get where you are going. To help you, a 747 weighs roughly 394,000 lbs, and fully loaded with fuel and passengers, it weighs about 877,000 lbs; 1,000 gallons of jet fuel fuel weighs about 7,000 lbs.

Here's a quick and dirty guide to flying the 747, with some rough numbers:

http://altairva-fs.c...ing 747 POH.htm

Al

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

There are many factors involved in a good landing and even with the basic rules adhered to, there will still be several adjustments in speed and descent rate. In other words, as you get more practice in, you will develop a feel for the aircraft which is in a descent or landing profile.

The basic rules I follow are:

1. While descending on (long) final, stay within these limits (using approx. 800 ft descent rate): At 15 Nm = 5000 ft; 12 Nm = 4000 ft; 9 Nm = 3000 ft; 6 Nm = 2000 ft; 3 Nm = 1000 ft. If you maintain the 800 ft descent rate, you'll find that the aircraft descent will remain fairly close to the other (lower) altitudes and your landing profile will be good.

2. Flap settings: as mentioned in other posts, you should stay to speed limits imposed on the flap speeds placard. And those are maximum speeds. In your descent (say from 10,000 ft), watch your airspeed and set flaps accordingly. At the beginning of the approach (long final), I could be doing 230 kts: my flaps would be at 10 deg. As my speed lowers to under 230 kts., flaps would be set to 20 deg. and so on. Then the landing gear would come down and spoilers armed, and of course, more throttle is needed to counter the extra drag from both the gear and flaps. But maintain your speed. If your speed drops away, it will result in your nose going up and eventually a stall.

When you are about 5 Nm from runway, you should already be at the right speed and flap setting for landing (ie. 180 kts or less and 30 deg. flaps). However, depending on your aircraft weight, wind and other conditions, these settings would vary slightly. At 1000 ft. I disengage autopilot and hand fly in to land. And, I'm not sure where you get flaps settings of 50 and 33 degrees. The max. is 30 deg. And, make sure that all four engines are running (check your gauges regularly).

Chris David

You should buy the Angle of Attack video's and the PMDG 747 and learn how to fly it realistically

Also you shouldn't be using a keyboard

Plus you should just call it a 747-400 or 744, a -428 is just one customer's code.

It looks like you're rotating too fast, your tail is smoking, I presume because of a tail strike on takeoff

Hello, Dudes!

After using B747-428, I'm using pure B747-400 of FSX Deluxe Edition. I've some simple question again.

I always land this aircraft through Autopilot/I autoland this aircraft. I usually, switch from GPS to NAV when I'm 18nm away from runway plus 200nm Speed plus 3000 Altitude.

I've seen in many articles that B747's landing speed should be 160knots at touch down. Now, when plane catches Glide Scope, I quickly reduce speed up to 160knots. In this case plane lands successfully but its nose gets too too high.

Now I want you to please answer me these questions:

What should be:

Speed (in NM) at 3000AGL (after catching G/L) ?

Speed at 2000AGL (after catching G/L) ?

Speed at 1000AGL (after catching G/L) ?

Speed at 500AGL (after catching G/L) ?

and on what AGL Altitude and speed should we turn off Auto Throttle and Autopilot?

I can land plane successfully witout these qustions but still I want some experience people/pilots tell me their ideas please.

I would be grateful to them who teach me here.

Regards,

AP

Your speed always depends on your weight. That is why I suggested watching the Angle of Attack videos and using the realistic PMDG 747. You can't get proper speeds with the default 747. Your speed on approach also depends on what airport you are flying into as many have speed restrictions. Usually when capturing glide slope it's around 180 knots.

AP, there is a fuel and payload menu in the FSX menu bar. Can you tell us what your aircraft's overall weight is? Mind the fuel, FSX always starts with full tanks, so there is a good chance that you have a lot more than you need for your landing. Means the plane is heavy and you can't slow down to a certain speed without receiving a lot of nose up pitch for example.

As the folks have said, you landing speed will depend on the weight of the plane. But, as we're talking about a big machine, you may even run into weight situations where you can take off but not land. Well, FSX is forgiving of course and the rw plane has some safety margin but you really have to mind the weights.

So, how fat is she when you bring her down? :Worried:

AP, there is a fuel and payload menu in the FSX menu bar. Can you tell us what your aircraft's overall weight is? Mind the fuel, FSX always starts with full tanks, so there is a good chance that you have a lot more than you need for your landing. Means the plane is heavy and you can't slow down to a certain speed without receiving a lot of nose up pitch for example.

As the folks have said, you landing speed will depend on the weight of the plane. But, as we're talking about a big machine, you may even run into weight situations where you can take off but not land. Well, FSX is forgiving of course and the rw plane has some safety margin but you really have to mind the weights.

So, how fat is she when you bring her down? :Worried:

Here in the image (look the URL) I've given Fuel and Payload before flying the Aircraft:

http://postimage.org/image/45on44zy3/

Here in this image, I've done some tick marks, specially which I've highlighted in yellow color. Look at this and tell me what's wrong?

http://postimage.org/image/5snjtrlyp/

I usually, land at Lahore, Karachi, Islamabad, Heathrow and New York Airports using these settings and this airplane.

Here in the image (look the URL) I've given Fuel and Payload before flying the Aircraft:

http://postimage.org/image/45on44zy3/

Here in this image, I've done some tick marks, specially which I've highlighted in yellow color. Look at this and tell me what's wrong?

http://postimage.org/image/5snjtrlyp/

I usually, land at Lahore, Karachi, Islamabad, Heathrow and New York Airports using these settings and this airplane.

There's your problem, you're landing WAAAAY over the maximum landing weight, you've filled it full of fuel AND got the fuel never being used, so you're just schlepping around full fuel tanks that are contributing (essentially) 25 180 tonnes of dead weight. As a result you're landing with 880,000 lbs of weight, which is 400 tonnes, the maximum landing weight of a 747-400 is 295 tonnes.

Either turn off unlimited fuel, and thus burn off some fuel during your flight, or fill it more realistically for your landing condition (I dunno, 2 15-20 tonnes (about 2500 to 3400 gallons) of fuel? 10% of the tank sounds about right).

Edit: corrected mis-units (I read the fuel as being in pounds rather than gallons)