Sign in to follow this  
conura

flight planning

Hey guys,

I'm still really struggling to plan a flight. I've run both tutorials but they don't help massively as they walk you through inputting, but not how to acquire the flight plan and how to input it. For example if I follow the route on this site: http://www.flightsimaviation.com/_flight_planner.html - I usually get parts of the route that don't connect. Do I need to be able to accurately read charts to plan a route? How do I find airways between airports? I am so confused but following FSX ATC guidance and not even bothering to use the FMC is very unrealistic!

Hope you can help

Do I need to be able to accurately read charts to plan a route? How do I find airways between airports?

Flight Aware (US routes) and Vataware (international/European routes) both have flights with different routes. You can also use FSBuild to generate routes with SIDs and STARs. No need for enroute charts. However, SID, STAR, and approach charts that are available from different sources (just Google "egll charts" for example) to cross check the FMS will help.

Kenny Lee
"Keep climbing"
pmdg_trijet.jpg

Hmm okay - does FSbuild make the route building process very simple? I may buy it!

Hmm okay - does FSbuild make the route building process very simple? I may buy it!

It autogenerates routes. Just input the origin and destination airports, the runways, an alternate and click auto-generate. Simple. It does a plethora of other things like NATs, calculates fuel according to payload, and winds aloft. Only thing I don't think it does is calculate assumed temperatures.

Kenny Lee
"Keep climbing"
pmdg_trijet.jpg

FSBUILD is a must have. Fuel planning, winds, just about everything you need.

Hey Luke

I think flying the NGX would be much more enjoyable for you if you took a little time and learned some basics of chart reading and flight planning. That being said FSbuild is the way to go if you simply want to "set it and forget it".

With respect to your "route not connected" here's a basic fix.

1. Click on the waypoint underneath the empty boxes. Doing so will load that waypoint into the scratchpad of FMC.

2. Insert the selected waypoint into the the empty boxes by clicking it's corresponding key.

3. Press "execute" and your route is connected.

It may not be technically correct if your flight plan is messed up but that is the process by which discontinuities are resolved. :smile:

-Happy Flying

Hi all!

I use Vroute for all my flights. Its free, works almost ll the time nd checks your routes against the eurocontol database so no issues with vatsim or ivao controllers. Never had a problem. I think you can download it for free from the Vroute website

Hope it helps

Matteo Capocefalo, MED

Here are a couple the first one is you put in your icao codes and the second one is a little more complicated if you want it to be you need to plan your route from start to fiinsh

http://www.fltplan.com/AwFmsNewFlt.exe?CRN10=1&CARRYUNAME=PILOT&MODE=NEWFP&end=MSGend

http://skyvector.com/

I7-800k,Corsair h1101 cooler ,Asus Strix Gaming Intel Z370 S11 motherboard, Corsair 32gb ramDD4,    2  ssd 500gb 970 drive, gtx 1080ti Card,  RM850 power supply

Peter kelberg

Hey guys,

First off thanks so much for your recommendations - FSBuild has allowed me to start flying straight away! Thank you also for the websites.

In an effort to understand the aviation charts so that I can set accurate restrictions and get a better understanding of Sids/Stars/airways and Waypoints, could anybody recommend some reading? PDF form would be perfect so that I can print it off and work through it as I tend to learn better like that than using videos!

I'm basically just looking for a beginners guide to SIds/Stars/Charts if such a thing exists.

Thanks J

Try this one there are alot more out there just need to do a search but this one should get you in the right direction

need to watch all three of his

although its not a pdf but he does a great job

I7-800k,Corsair h1101 cooler ,Asus Strix Gaming Intel Z370 S11 motherboard, Corsair 32gb ramDD4,    2  ssd 500gb 970 drive, gtx 1080ti Card,  RM850 power supply

Peter kelberg

Hi all!

I use Vroute for all my flights. Its free, works almost ll the time nd checks your routes against the eurocontol database so no issues with vatsim or ivao controllers. Never had a problem. I think you can download it for free from the Vroute website

Hope it helps

Matteo Capocefalo, MED

+1 --- I use Vroute, works great! Also Flightaware for real world plans that the airlines use....

UPS123.png