Sign in to follow this  
tripecac

Simulation Rate - Can we assign hot keys?

Is there a way to assign hot keys to the simulation rate? I'd love to have keys for Normal, 4x, 8x, and perhaps 32x.

Thanks!

Is there a way to assign hot keys to the simulation rate? I'd love to have keys for Normal, 4x, 8x, and perhaps 32x.

Thanks!

No, there's no way to select a specific simrate via a hotkey.

But FSX has events for SIM_RATE_INCR and SIM_RATE_DECR, but you cannot assign them to keys/buttons via the menu.

So you have to assign them either via FSUIPC (registered) or add them manually to the controls.xml file.

Rob

As Rob mentioned, there's no way to assign a key or command to a specific simulation rate.

And to back up his idea, I currently use FSUIPC to map my yoke's traditional "rudder trim" buttons to the sim rate -/+ keys. Works great! I map the button press to "R", and the button release to be either "-" or "+". The only caveat is that you have to remove the button's mapping within FSX's controller setup area so that after you press it, it doesn't to BOTH the FSX mapped command and the newly mapped FSUIPC mapped sequence.

Makes for quick and easy fingertip control in any phase of flight.

-Greg

Looking at fsuipc docs, it seems you can read the current sim rate, so you could probably write some LUA code that would read the current sim rate and then send the apprpriate number of INCR/DECR commands to achieve what you want.

scott s.

A freeware solution can be achieved with AutoHotkey.

After installation you can create a textfile with notepad containing the programming:

F1::				    ;install a Hotkey F1for increasing simrate
Send, R			 ;simulate the keystroke "R" for rate
Send, +			 ;send keystroke "+"
return
F2::				  ;decrease simrate
Send, R		 
Send, -		  
return

Looking at fsuipc docs, it seems you can read the current sim rate, so you could probably write some LUA code that would read the current sim rate and then send the apprpriate number of INCR/DECR commands to achieve what you want.

It's easier than that. FSUIPC's offset 0C1A contains 256 x the sim rate, and can be written to to change it. FSUIPC itself checks the value and uses the INC and DEC to reach the value you set (or as near as it can get -- FS only uses powers of two).

So, for a button to set rate x4, for example, you assign to "Offset word set" with 0C1A as the offset and 1024 as the parameter (1024 = 4 x 256).

Regards

Pete

Win10: 22H2 19045.2728
CPU: 9900KS at 5.5GHz
Memory: 32Gb at 3800 MHz.
GPU:  RTX 24Gb Titan
2 x 2160p projectors at 25Hz onto 200 FOV curved screen

It's easier than that. FSUIPC's offset 0C1A contains 256 x the sim rate, and can be written to to change it. FSUIPC itself checks the value and uses the INC and DEC to reach the value you set (or as near as it can get -- FS only uses powers of two).

So, for a button to set rate x4, for example, you assign to "Offset word set" with 0C1A as the offset and 1024 as the parameter (1024 = 4 x 256).

Thanks for the clarification. I did look it up in "FSUIPC4 Offsets Status" and under FSX write it says "no" with a note, and I guess I interpreted the note to mean that you have to send fsuipc SIM RATE INCR or DECR, but I see now that it means if you send a value fsuipc will take care of that for you. So that easily solves OP's porblem.

scott s.

hello

can anyone tell me if theres a way to edit the fsx.cfg inorder to reduce the simulation rate down for normal

to say 70% 80% 0.7 0.8 etc

as the menu only allows half rate

hello

can anyone tell me if theres a way to edit the fsx.cfg inorder to reduce the simulation rate down for normal

to say 70% 80% 0.7 0.8 etc

as the menu only allows half rate

I know this is an old thread, but this last poster desires the very thing I would love to be able to do.  When I watch shows like Ice Pilots and Era Alaska show, when I see vids taken from the planes on approach, the planes appear to close on the runway a bit slower and look more controllable and easier, and I have seen real pilots in the past say that landing in real life is easier than sims for various reasons.  

I have been using FSX for years now and still to this day have a tough time holding steady approaching the runway and the movement to the runway just seems a tad bit faster than what I am seeing in vids of real flights on approach.  Yes, I know this could be because of camera zoom slowing down the look of the approach, but still, after years of FSX why is it still so hard to get a stable and controllable approach to a runway when in real life it seems there would be crash after crash, dozens every day if it were like fsx?

Just look at a bunch of vids from youtube on approaches and look at how slowly the runway approaches and how much easier the approaches look.  In FSX it feels like the movement is slightly faster and less controllable. 

So I would love to be able to just have a sim rate at like, 90 percent of the FSX rate, but it only allows half.  But seeing this thread gives me hope that FSuipc could possible allow a slight slowing of the sim rate, is this possible?  For me this would be a HUGE jump in my enjoyment of FSX.  Even if it were cheating it would only be slight and allow me to get closer results to real pilots.  But I feel like I wouldn't be cheating anyway because to me FSX feels slightly faster than how time and movement passes in real life for some reason.