Sign in to follow this  

How to create flightplans in Plan-G and use them in GMap

Imho some jobs are impossible to do without a proper map because in those high mountains it's sometimes impossible to climb so quickly and you will get lost if you stay low!

Doubly true when using weather themes. Going above 7000' in Low and Threatening gets rather dicey around mountains. I did a similar flight from Seward to Elmendorf AFB. I accidentally landed at Merrill though. :P

Pssst... You didn't land at the wrong airport... you just diverted. :Whistle:

Doubly true when using weather themes. Going above 7000' in Low and Threatening gets rather dicey around mountains. I did a similar flight from Seward to Elmendorf AFB. I accidentally landed at Merrill though. :P

I have flown that in a real aircraft, ( Seward to Merrill) and I would hate to have to do that on a bad weather day. Weather in Alaska can turn nasty in a microsecond.

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

Ok, I just got the new GMap version, along with Plan-G and the FSX database set up in accordance with the instructions and it all works perfectly.

I made a three-leg flight plan from Lawing (where I parked after last night's charter) south to Seward following Highway 9 for a Gas & Go. I then headed out over Resurrection Bay and followed the coast along the Kenai Fjords to the Nuka River, which led me through the Kenai Mountains to another stop at Bradley Lake. From there, it was a an easy flight along the northern margin of Kachemak Bay home to Homer.

J, thanks for helping find ways to put the Simulation back in MS Flight.

I love Gmap and Plan G. What I have been doing now for 3 days, is flying somewhere, landing and then from Plan G looking for the next airport to fly to. It is so much easier to find the airports around you on the Plan G map than on the Flight Map. Make a quick Flight plan, which takes about a minute, load it into Gmap and I'm off to the next airport. What is amazing is all the airports in Alaska. It will take me months to hit all of them.

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

Oh, and J? If the "out of numerical order" waypoints really bother you, they can be renamed. :blink:

I can`t get my flight plans to show in GMap. I have done exactly as you wrote but in GMap when I click on the plns button it keeps telling me the flight plans folder is not set up. The path to my plans is -

C:\Users\main user\Documents\Flight Plans

I have created and named the .ini file and and written-

[Plans]

plansfolder=<C\Users\main user\Documents\Flight Plans>

(I have tried it with and without < and > at each end and also I have tried adding \ to the end but without success)

I have placed this in my GMap folder -

C:\Users\main user\Document\fsw_gmap_msf_21

So where am I going wrong?

I am using Win7 .

Incidentally for Win7 users , if you need to see the full path to a file you just have to click on the little arrow at the end of the search box. Saves going into the Options menu to change the settings.

[Plans]

plansfolder=<C\Users\main user\Documents\Flight Plans>

Don't use the < and > and you forgot the : after C.

[Plans]

plansfolder=C:\Users\main user\Documents\Flight Plans

If you DID put the : in it (and this is only a typo in your post) try to use an easy folder like C:\Plans or even C:\ and see if that works. Such an easy folder eliminates the possibility of typo's.

Oh, and J? If the "out of numerical order" waypoints really bother you, they can be renamed. :blink:

LOL Didn't know that. But it doesn't bother me THAT much. :wink: Glad you like it all btw!

BTW Plan-G is a 'deep' program with a lot of possibilities (although a lot of it won't have any use yet in Flight): it's AMAZING the program is free...!!! It's also pretty nice the basic version of GMap is free!

I did put the : in , it was a typo - sorry about that.

I have also removed the < and > .

To make sure I never made a mistake I copied and pasted your version from your reply and still it would not work.

If I did change it to C:\Plans would I have to move the Plans folder out of the Documents folder ?

I think the bug is me. As long as I take it slow, no odd behavior. Can anyone trying rapidly zooming in and out, as well as panning across large areas? And switching between terrain and earth view frequently? This might confirm it is just a case of me outpacing the program.

Yeah happens to me also, only way around it is to click again on the Map-Type button (i.e. Terrain, Satelite etc).. I try to avoid switching around too often, hope this is addressed in the next update....Version 3 is due out soon and from what I've read about it, promises to be better all round.

To make sure I never made a mistake I copied and pasted your version from your reply and still it would not work.

If I did change it to C:\Plans would I have to move the Plans folder out of the Documents folder ?

I put my plans on my desktop, so I can get to it quickly. Here is the ini. As was mentioned, make certain in the ini file that there is nothing after the ini like ini.exe

[Plans]

plansfolder=C:\users\bob\desktop\flightplans\

Sometimes windows 7 decides it an exe file and adds it. To see the entire file name follow these instructions for windows 7 :

• Start Windows Explorer, you can do this by opening up any folder.
  • Click Organize.
  • Click Folder and search options.
  • Click the View tab.
  • Scroll down until you notice Hide extensions for known file types, un-check this line by clicking the check box.
    Note To hide file name extensions, check this line.
  • Click OK

Yes you would have to move the Plans folder, I keep my plans folder within my Skydrive Folder so it's written like this in the FSWidgetsGMAP.ini

[plans]

plansfolder=C:\Skydrive\Flight Plans\

Incidently the correct format for pointing it at your Documents Folder is:-

C:\Documents and Settings\YOURUserName\Documents

ie

[plans]

plansfolder=C:\Documents and Settings\Prune\Documents

Hope this helps

Thanks guys for all your help. I`ve run out of time for now but I `ll go through all this again later and hopefully sort it out.

I didn't write this tutorial earlier on because there is a small problem: Plan-G is created for FS9 and FSX and you need one of those to be installed on your PC in order to create the necessary database (you can uninstall FS9 or FSX again after you have created that database). Not every new Flight user has FS9 or FSX, so it would be a bit sad to write a tutorial for them which they can't use because they can't build a database. However, someone posted a complete FSX database on the official Flight forum on Steam and since the MS mods didn't say anything about it, I suppose it's alright with them so... here is the link to the topic with that file: http://forums.steamp...d.php?t=2793036 Download the database and put it in the Plan-G v1/Data folder, overwriting the existing file. When you start Plan-G after doing so, you will be able to plan flights right away! (I didn't and won't post a direct link to the file because it is on someone's private Skydrive folder.)

I am the owner of the database file that's posted on the Steam Forums ..and you have my permission to post a link to the file(s) that are hosted on my Skydrive.

Also, I store my Flight Plans in a folder that I share out on Skydrive, so as I create new Plans they are immediately available via the 'Flight Plans' link given on that post (which you may also post here), so it's worth checking that link from time to time.

I am the owner of the database file that's posted on the Steam Forums ..and you have my permission to post a link to the file(s) that are hosted on my Skydrive.

Also, I store my Flight Plans in a folder that I share out on Skydrive, so as I create new Plans they are immediately available via the 'Flight Plans' link given on that post (which you may also post here), so it's worth checking that link from time to time.

Thanks for helping out with that file. It has made a world of difference, being able to use G Plan, for those that don't own FS9 or X anymore.