Sign in to follow this  
Mork

Multiplayer: Is it just me....?

Well if one has complaints about Flight, they should just start browsing some of the other forums on flight sims and reading the complaints on them. Here is an example, I read a comment the other day where someone posted that " some folks are running 5 GHZ processors with dual 680s and can't get over 15 frames per second without stutters. .... How come the folks that own that particular simulator aren't going berzerk? Can you imagine if Flight ran that way, people would be calling for Bill Gate's hide. All I read about on other forums are people having to upgrade landclass, aircraft, weather, scenery, buildings, airports, processors, entire PC rigs, video cars, memory, etc...etc..etc... On this forum on the other hand I read people stating that they are really PO'd that they had to spend $15 for the entire state of Alaska, and the free aircraft that came with it doesn't even have a **@# cockpit. I am sorry, but i don't get it......

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

I would rather have 5 root canals with no Novocaine, than go back to FS9

I just recently reformatted all my drives, reinstalled Win 7 64, and reloaded everything, including FSX. I then was very careful about loading addons, the main ones being REX Essentials, and a couple of scenery packages (GEX, UTX, Orbix). I then did the Bojote adjustments and must tell you, I'd forgotten how smooth and rock-solid FSX "can be" if you don't bog it down with a bunch of crap. The main reason I keep FSX around is that I have a bunch of planes I've been working on in FSDS3.5 that I need to finish. Plus, it's useful for the databases I was able to access in order to get Plan-G up and running so I can create flight plans for use in Gmap. Aside from that I find I do most of my flying in "Flight", not FSX, these days.

I am sorry, but i don't get it......

I tried getting some friends who use FSX interested in Flight when it first came out, but they refused to do it because they were afraid of signing up with "Live" or "Steam". Silly reason not to try it. That's my opinion. And I told them so. It seems "security paranoia" is getting out of hand.

Oh, there's stuff to complain about with Flight... being vastly better than the others in certain ways doesn't mean it can do no wrong. But performance is certainly one place it shines.

My biggest issues with Flight revolve simply around how the project is being managed. It looks like it's being set up to fail. I'm sure that's not the intent, but it doesn't take a lot of withholding support for a company to accidentally kill what could have been a stellar product if only they'd given it a fair chance and had a little confidence in it.

Lol, my topic took an unexpected turn there! From multiplayer to a comparison between Flight and other flightsims ;-)

All i want to say about that, is that i too hope Flight will be invested in. It still needs some time, so i hope the team has gotten a guaranteed number of years of budget to nurture Flight to adulthood, or at least puberty. After that, i'm sure it will have a solid social circle to not only survive on it's own, but to set the bar higher for it's competition.

Do you guys prefer to fly alone, or with others? I almost always try to find a nice room after i start up Flight. Too bad i don't always succeed at that.

I prefer to have other people around. I usually host my own session, so I can set the weather and kick out troublemakers.

That means I usually fly alone, although I do have a few regulars who show up periodically.

If you do want to host a "full" session just leave it running all the time, even when you aren't there. When you do open Flight, you'll often have a dozen people messing around. But most of them can be expected to be swarming around the Big Island.

Do you guys prefer to fly alone, or with others? I almost always try to find a nice room after i start up Flight. Too bad i don't always succeed at that

I myself prefer to fly alone, in fact have my multiplayer settings on private. I show a total of 0 hours in mulitplay.

This is probably due more to the fact that several years ago, I was quite heavily involved in online racing, and I spent many hours a week - a lot of my spare time - racing online. I literally totally burned myself out on it, and while it has been several years since then, the thought of online play still seems to just turn my stomach. But then again, my job has changed drastically and with that my spare time is not much anymore.

I enjoy these forums for socializing I guess, but prefer flying just online by myself. And that goes for all my flight sims, not just Flight.

Multiplayer is fun, but it would be more fun if there were objectives, contests perhaps. When I join a MP game and 15 planes are just sitting at Hilo doing zilch it's not so much fun. Some cooperative or competitive MP challenges would be great. When left to their own devices, most people will just do their own thing.

I prefer to fly alone too. I did the Vatsim thing for awhile, which was OK, but did some online flying and got tired of being cut off in a traffic pattern, and having people buzz me and all that nonsense. I might try it again, but I know it can be a PIA sometimes.

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

The fundamental problem with multiplayer is that we all want everyone else to fly strict proper procedures to enhance our realism. :lol:

I used to tap out radio calls in the circuit in the text box (before the update broke it) and found people would start lining me up when I was on final because I was nice and slow and going in a straight line. Was a waste of time because few people understood what I was saying anyway... But it would be nice to have te choice to join a crash room or one where people are just going about their business. I'm not going to get upset if procedures aren't followed - so long as some form of respect to given to others in the room.

What do you mean by 'tapping out radio calls in the text box'?

Typing his own intentions during flight has been great for me in multiflyer sessions.

It will look like :

"Delta Mike (or DreadMetis) preparing flightplan from 'here' to 'there', 2 tons of cats onboard and a moaning copilot", or

"Delta Mike 5 miles inbound for ILS or visual landing at Kahului", "DM to Hilo ground, runway 03 cleared..." or any little sentences I've heard from real radio-chatter or from former multiflyers in FSX.

I noticed I had 3 very differents responses :

- the "no answer" response, like I do my stuff and do yours, whatever. Can happen in you session and in others'. But most of the time the pilots behind this behavior are "afk" !

- the "kikoolol" answers are more like they will try to understand your position & course from your sayings and arrive full sped ahead with a P-51 or any other warbird, straight at you on finale (but I have put rear mirrors in my plane : esc on any contact attempt till "it" change session). They are tending to be more rare for me, but this kind of player is bound not to totally disappear, so live with it and look around for collisions attempts :D After all, the game is a game for everyone, even if I don't understand some of them...

- the positive answer is the most usual one : people would respond with their positionning, wherever they would be, simmers or not, young or old, male or female, in mission, tasks or free flight.

It just tend to demonstrate how positive feedback is spreading as quick as the negative one.

Besides, being able to play not only on my own (over "Klondike" solitary I now prefer a shared Alaska B) ) a game that has lot to teach is very valuable, and tought me a lot in less time !

Oh that! I also sometimes use the text-chat to notify ppl before final approach that i am inbound on rwy X. Both in the hope to have them clear the runway as well as initiating some kind of interaction.

I used to tap out radio calls in the circuit in the text box (before the update broke it)

Text used to be a useful tool, they need to roll back on this fix to the way it was. All you had to do was click on the screen and the text box would loose focus and you could apply brakes instead of streaming a row of xxxxxx's in the chat box.

Regards;

Fritz

I am one of those on a slow DSL connection, very slow. So, Multiplayer sessions are full of lags for me, and probably for others if I am hosting the session.

So, I have given up Multiplayer with great regret because it is fun to fly with others.

Best regards.

Luis